Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
Has anyone replaced the front cap section SS Clipper

Hi Everyone, I want to buy this trailer. There are five sections on the rear they need to be replaced and I am wondering if they are flat panels? has anyone here replaced them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6629.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	204112  

Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am far from an expert on these old units, but I believe that they are flat panels, but have a special lip on them which I seem to recall can be formed with an available tool. There have been other posts on the subject, perhaps someone can recall them or find them.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLVMB View Post
Hi Everyone, I want to buy this trailer. There are five sections on the rear they need to be replaced and I am wondering if they are flat panels? has anyone here replaced them?
Yes they are flat panels. If they have rolled edges on them like 50's era Airstream's do, they can be recreated with a bead roller. As this is a Curtis Wright or a Silver Streak, it is likely made from Alclad 2024 T3 aluminum. Don't try to reproduce the panels with any other material, it'll look funny as the shine won't be the same.
Good luck with your project & welcome to the Forums.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I don't believe there is a lip
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLVMB View Post
I don't believe there is a lip
Then you're in luck & will be able to fab the panels using the original as a pattern. Vintage Trailer Supply.com has all of the rivets & tools to do this right. Aircraftspruce.com will have the alclad.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Globetrotter
Wrexham , Clwyd
Question

I don't want to be a kill joy....but......

Be careful with the rivets.

My 1949 silverstreak has small headed AD rivets which lead me to believe they are 3/32" diameter.

Don't do what most people do when rebuilding, it seems to be usual to drill the 1/8" rivets out at 5/32" diameter.

If they are 3/32" and you go up to 5/32" you will end up with no edge distance and the large rivets will tend to rip out of the edge with continued use.

I'm trying to source 3/32" AD rivets but Byler won't make any unless I want to order some vast quantity.....anybody got any ideas where I can get some ???
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Globetrotter
Wrexham , Clwyd
one other thing I forgot to mention.........

There is NOT a rolled edge like the one on the vintage airstreams, however, there is a creased edge, it looks like a light fold.

This needs to be done to increase the stiffness of the skin on the rivet line and the slight cavity which is created by the crease sitting on top of the flat skin underneath allows sealant to be applied.
The skin underneath may even have a crease up to form a larger cavity for sealant.

Don't try and not form the crease, your clipper will leak.

The crease should be formed with a bead roller but will need modified rollers made to the shape of the crease.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
The standard number for the universal -3AD's is MS20470AD3-X, but if the trailer is built with the Braizer head AN455AD3's then I can understand why you are having trouble sourcing them, as you most likely know they went out of production decades ago. So in order to get the same diameter head as the 455-3's you would have to use the 470-4's but you would have to enlarge the holes to a #30. If I can help you source rivets here in the coloney let me know the p/n's you need and I will look into it.

Nice Spit, and I pay my buddies off for helping me buck with, guess what, beer. They call it bucking for beer.
Aerowood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks for the info. I am close to pulling the trigger with the 53 Clipper, but want to go in with my eyes wide open. I all want a realistic idea of what I am in for.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Globetrotter
Wrexham , Clwyd
Thanks for that Aerowood...yeah I've exhausted the route of brazier and even modified brazier, that's why I'm looking at 20470's. Bayler will make modified but with a minimum order of 20,000 ......not enough clippers in the world to use that many.
I'm an aircraft maintenance/repair engineer and hate drilling rivets one size up just for convenience. Over this side of the pond we always drill the head off and punch the tail through, very rarely do we go one size up....even on boeing!!

I'll put up with a slightly smaller head of the 20470 but keep the same shank diameter and rivet strength....as well as keeping the dot on the head.

On my Globetrotter I used the rivets from Vintage Trailer Supply, wasn't bothered about retaining the dot because the amount of polishing needed meant I removed it on original rivets. My Clipper is in that good condition it only needs a light polish
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I'm guessing that you can source the 470AD3's over there?
Aerowood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Can we see your Clipper?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I've got a vague recollection of someone in the UK (maybe 99.7%) ordering modified braziers but could only find Zep'd post maybe it'll help.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ata-41111.html
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Globetrotter
Wrexham , Clwyd
Hi, I'm back again........

Can't source the 3AD's over here, we don't have the same size market as the U.S. and there are more controls here for supply. U.S. is the place to buy aircraft stuff that is a bit out of the ordinary.

I'll take some pics of clipper in tomorrow and put them on.......it's 10pm at moment raining and dark

Was in California for a month over Xmas and new year, like a dope I didn't source anything.....was having too much of a good holiday