Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Finally getting out for the 1st time this year

We're finally going to get the Avion out for the first time this year. Heading to Branson, MO to spend a couple of nights at Compton Ridge RV Resort. It's one of those things we signed up for at our local Camping World. I suspect that everyone who signs up is a "winner", and we'll have to sit through a 90 minute "presentation". We don't mind saying "no" for a couple of nights of free camping, and we'll hopefully get to see some of the wife's relatives that live in the Branson area. We also have season passes for Silver Dollar City, thanks to the in-laws, so we'll go there, also. From Bentonville, the most direct routes could include some twisty-turny-hilly roads through the Ozarks. Those are beautiful drives, but I really don't feel like utilizing those roads (would probably get told I'm #1 many times before I got to the destination), so we'll take the easy, longer route via Joplin, MO to Springfield, MO, then south on MO 65 to the Branson area. Much nicer roads going that way.

We'll spend tomorrow getting the yard mowed, running errands, and getting ready to leave Wednesday. REALLY looking forward to it! I need some down time!!!!

Gonna look at my work schedule to see if I can rearrange my vacation days to take off a 2-week stretch so we can "go places and do things". I usually take one week off at a time, but lately I've been really getting the itch to head down the road in the Avion for longer than that. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	241378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	241379  

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	241395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	241396  

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	241397  
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Any idea why those 3 pictures are posting upside down? They look OK when I view them from the source.
When I view them in a new tab, they display correctly. Hmmmmmmm.......
Old 06-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The trailer is beautiful!

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have fun!!!

That is one good looking ride!

If pics taken with Apple product, the orientation of the device will indicate an "up" position relative to the "normal" position for images. This is automatically compensated for by Apple products and the "actual up position " of the image is the data used by Apple to set the orientation.

The easy way to get proper orientation is to always take pics with Apple device in standard position. For example, the iPhone would be camera and imaging device above the screen and the large button on the face at bottom of hand. Like you might hold to your ear.

To "fix" I have had success by opening then slightly cropping the file.. Tends to reset the orientation data.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thank you for that.

I'm ambidextrous. I checked, and when I want to take a picture with this fancy new iPhone, I have the round button on the left if I have the camera sideways, as I did for those shots. So I probably had it backwards compared to the majority of the messed up folks who are right-handed.

I think lefties should be a protected class!

(What would I be considered? I write left-handed, shoot left-handed, throw right-handed, kick right-footed, bowl right-handed........ I hold a string trimmer (can I say weed-eater?) to the right....

I think I'll be a "righty" today...... maybe a "lefty" next week.... who knows??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Have fun!!!

That is one good looking ride!

If pics taken with Apple product, the orientation of the device will indicate an "up" position relative to the "normal" position for images. This is automatically compensated for by Apple products and the "actual up position " of the image is the data used by Apple to set the orientation.

The easy way to get proper orientation is to always take pics with Apple device in standard position. For example, the iPhone would be camera and imaging device above the screen and the large button on the face at bottom of hand. Like you might hold to your ear.

To "fix" I have had success by opening then slightly cropping the file.. Tends to reset the orientation data.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
iphone shots.

Shoot photos with the volume buttons facing the ground, and that will never happen to you again

If you then look around to the other side, you'll notice the lens of the camera is on top, and all of a sudden from that side.. it makes sense.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Roll that trailer over before attempting to hitch it to your truck-
Maybe the truck is upside down, too-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Wow that is a long TT!!! I love it. A few RVs ago I was towing a 1998 38' Avion FW with a tag behind it. I can maneuver a FW easy peasy but tags are my Achilles heel (to the point I have my boats on a custom FW trailer lol) Have a safe trip and fun in Branson!! Never been but it's so kitch I have to go one day. I'm planning a trip from LA to KC at the end of the year so I need to see if that's on the way.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
Wow that is a long TT!!! I love it. A few RVs ago I was towing a 1998 38' Avion FW with a tag behind it. I can maneuver a FW easy peasy but tags are my Achilles heel (to the point I have my boats on a custom FW trailer lol) Have a safe trip and fun in Branson!! Never been but it's so kitch I have to go one day. I'm planning a trip from LA to KC at the end of the year so I need to see if that's on the way.
Thank you!

Branson isn't really on the way to KC from LA, but it's not too far out of the way. I'd recommend it, if you have the time.

If I ever got a 5th wheel, I'd get a 1991-1995 Avion, I think those are the best looking, best built trailers out there. I see nice ones for sale regularly. My truck is only rated for a 10,000 pound trailer, so I'd have to stick with a 29'-31', or get a different truck to handle the more plentiful 35-footers.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
There are days I wish I hadn't sold my International 4400 I bought for towing my 5th wheel. I have a 1 ton Denali these days for towing a 38' boat but if I even fill up even one of the boats gas tanks half way I'm pushing its weight tolerances big time. But without fuel its fine. I agree with you that the pre-fleetwood days were Avion's best....by far. The '98's we're indeed a plain white box on the outside but inside they were the DRV suites of their times. memories.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Avoid the stress

[QUOTE=PaulnGina;1640913]Heading to Branson, MO to spend a couple of nights at Compton Ridge RV Resort. we'll have to sit through a 90 minute "presentation". We don't mind saying "no" for a couple of nights of free camping, QUOTE]

Paul, IMHO those two nights camping won't be worth the mental strain of trying to survive the high pressure sales pitch.

I see that the RV industry is moving away from "mom & pop" Campgrounds (CGs) to developer created RV resorts where the RVer buys a site for $100,000 or so. That way the developer gets to cash out in a hurry and leave the operations to a board of site owners.

If you want to see what this can do look at the classified ads in FMCA magazine. Apparently, a very high priced owner resort in Las Vegas has collapsed. People are trying to sell sites at $300,000 loss.

The guys you will meet are professionals at selling to people whose going in position is "I can say no." Well, good luck on that. They will offer incentives you can't believe, easy financing, a promise that you can get out of the deal, so just sign up at no risk and look we'll throw in X. They will also come back and try to sell you later, as long as your RV is in the CG.

I wouldn't do it. Save your stress and go to the nearby Escapee RV Club CG: Turkey Creek RV Village, Hollister, MO 417-335-8004. $23 night & $138 per week. Member rates are lower. Or go to some other CG, just enjoy your vacation. The place you are going won't allow you to do that.
I have been to things like that & NEVER again.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Well stated.

We'll see how it goes. I'm frugal, she's cheap, so we'll be leaving here Friday without them making a sale, I promise you.

We made it to Branson today, no issues at all.

VERY easy drive from Bentonville, AR to Joplin, then to Springfield, MO. Then headed south on MO 65. Talk about some steep hills!!!! Just took it as easy as I could, shifted down to "2" a couple of times on some of the steeper uphill climbs. I reminded myself that I had a full tank of water I was tugging up those hills. ARGHHHHHH!!!!! I meant to drain the tank before we left, but forgot to.

Anyway, we made it to Compton Ridge RV Resort. It was hot and muggy today. I was ringing wet by the time I got the trailer set up. The office folks told me that HWY 160 out of Springfield was a much better route...... lots fewer hills to climb. We'll try that on the way back Friday. This is a nice place.

The park attendant who showed us to our site was very helpful guiding me as I back in the site. When I got out of the truck, I told the guy that he must have done that 1000's of times because he knew exactly where to stand so I could see him. He asked if I drove a big truck or worked on a farm because he was impressed with my backing skills! Made me feel good.

Pics later.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Posted some pictures starting here: Img 0062 - Got propane tanks filled this morning at Camping World. Photo Gallery

I'll add more as we go along.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Paul and Gina,
I hope you enjoy the few days you have to relax. I always enjoy your comments. I feel a kinship as our trucks are so similar. I have a 96 SCab 4x4 7.3 powerstroke and living up in N. WV snow country (3000'), it's a constant battle with rust but I just keep replacing parts because it does such a great job towing my 31' and I can't imagine being able to replace it on my budget. Looking forward to your pics and suggestions on where to go and what to see when I get there sometime. Enjoy!
Dave and Debbie
Also Blessed and highly favored
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thank you, Dave and Debbie! We are having a good time. Too bad it'll be a short trip!

Yesterday, as we were climbing all of those hills between Springfield and Branson, I was reassured because I had installed a 45K BTU transmission cooler on the truck just for these kinds of days. I don't have gauges installed yet, but when I do, I hope they simply confirm that I drive the truck as conservatively as possible. Would have been interesting to see the tranny temp as well as the exhaust gas temp.

I'm going to baby this 7.3L PowerStroke! It's the best diesel engine Ford has ever used, IMHO. It's a 1995 and is close to turning over 110K miles. It's still a "baby"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
Paul and Gina,
I hope you enjoy the few days you have to relax. I always enjoy your comments. I feel a kinship as our trucks are so similar. I have a 96 SCab 4x4 7.3 powerstroke and living up in N. WV snow country (3000'), it's a constant battle with rust but I just keep replacing parts because it does such a great job towing my 31' and I can't imagine being able to replace it on my budget. Looking forward to your pics and suggestions on where to go and what to see when I get there sometime. Enjoy!
Dave and Debbie
Also Blessed and highly favored
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
As a side comment: I can't imagine using a lesser truck (a.k.a. half-ton) to tow a big, heavy trailer like this Avion 34W. Yesterday's hills would have reduced said lesser truck to a smoking heap!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Well stated.

We'll see how it goes. I'm frugal, she's cheap, so we'll be leaving here Friday without them making a sale, I promise you.
I told you so!!!!! Made it out of there with our wallet and finances intact!!! Nya, nya, nya......
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Good job,
Wolf !
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Yes, but we may utilize their campground again sometime. It's a nice place, and just next door to Silver Dollar City. Found a great pizza place in Branson West called Pizza By the Chef.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Finally getting out for the 1st time this year

You always want a full fresh water tank. Keeps the COG down low. TTs need all the help they can get as to stability. Don't run empty, IMO, as fresh water is always a good thing.

And even an underpowered Ferd oughta be able to handle it. Empty tank won't change a thing as to how it accelerates. Besides, we used cars to pull ours back in the day 😉

Let's see some pics once you're parked.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote