Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ever Seen One Of These?

Greetings ElCamino Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Quick question for ya guys. I figure ill ask it on here instead of starting a whole new thread.

Iv never owned a slide in before so this is all new to me. I asked the guy about the title and he says it doesn't have a title nor a VIN number. Then it hits me! It doesn't need a title, VIN, registration, or insurance because its not a "trailer". Its just something you stick in the back of your truck! Thatll save me tons of money! BUT... I don't have $3800 sitting in my wallet ready to fork over so Ill need a short loan. Only problem is banks like titles and insurance on their collateral. How would this work? Do I need something else for collateral?
I suspect that you will likely need to offer collateral of a different sort as most banks are unwilling to write notes on RVs that are more than a few model years old. When I purchased my Overlander in 1995, I utilized my 11-year-old Cadillac for collateral for the short term note that I needed to purchase the trailer. I suspect that the banks in Southern Illinois are going to be as conservative, if not more conservative now, as a result of the prevailing economic conditions.

You may have already read this caution, but be sure that you have adequate tie-down apparatus for your truck. For large campers like the Avion C-10/C-11, truck frame mounted tie-downs are a virtual requirement for safety.

Good luck with your purchase!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Im already approved for a loan. But this was before I realized it doesn't have a VIN.

Walked in, sat down, showed him a picture, he asked how much do I need! (Its good to know people). He is the only reason I got my 1st Airstream!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I toured Avion factory in 1966 very well built always wanted avion slide in let some slip by, my understanding is that several people left AS and started Avion they used solid wood for cabinets etc. as AS did until 1975 when started using vinyl on luan plywood poor choice if some one has info of start up of Avion in Benton Harbor Mich. post reply this thread
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Uh thread jack?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
There is a really neat book out there published by Robert J. Muncy called Silver Avions and Cayos. It's a personal view of the Avion history, he interviewed the Cayo family, as well as lots of Mr. Muncy's camping own experiences with the Travelcade Club. In this book on pages 92 & 93 there are photos of the back of Avion slide in campers with the plate that has the model number and production number.

I don't know the answer about the C-10s and C-11s not having registrations. It makes sense that they don't, but the plate by the door should be good for something Maybe a couple of owners of these fabulous slide-ins can chime in about that.

(If someone is interested in their very own copy of this book, here is a link to get it...SILVER AVIONS AND CAYOS by Robert Muncy)

Tina
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Took me two nights (finished last night) to read the great 60-page thread on RV.net of the AVION truck camper. At least one contributor above (and fantastic work).

Ask the moderators to change the the title of this thread to include the words AVION CAYO TRUCK CAMPER
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Im already approved for a loan. But this was before I realized it doesn't have a VIN.

Walked in, sat down, showed him a picture, he asked how much do I need! (Its good to know people). He is the only reason I got my 1st Airstream!
They do have a serial number on the data plate on the back of the camper.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #28
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
But its not technically a VIN though
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The guy that restores Airstreams in central Virginia (Trailer Buff) used to have several of these sitting around. Saw them using one, too.

Those pictures are from June, 2008. I have no idea what the status is since then.

They're pretty cool little campers, though. I've read that some truck-campers feel slighted by those of us with trailers and motorhomes, but I think these would be excellent for shorter trips. For example, I just took an overnight trip to Ohio to tow a car...one of these would've let me avoid staying in a hotel.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
But its not technically a VIN though
Technically, it's not a vehicle.

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) as such have only been around since the 1950s and weren't held to any standards till 1981. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_Number) That doesn't mean that older vehicles can't be registered. The licensing agencies just have to use something else, like the serial number.

Cool camper! Hope things work out for you. (I agree, it would be good if you got the Mods to change the thread title to reflect the Avion Cayo name)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I was holding out on you guys. It was actually on eBay. I didn't wanna mention it because I didn't want someone bidding against me lol.

I got outbid by $50. The seller sent me a second chance offer which means the buyer didn't want it and I get a chance at it. I might just get it after all!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #32

Vintage Kin Owner
crossville , Tennessee
I have a avion c-11 slide in i will sale for $1200 interior needs work . 931-200-2073 I live in crossville Tn
pefhaney is offline   Reply With Quote