Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

rockford , Michigan
Door for Avion C-11 slide in camper

where in the world would I find a door for my 1968 avion c-11 slide in camper..the interior of the door is rotted out. the door is still functional but does not want to close properly..the only thing holding it together is the aluminum shell.
leonarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Columbia , South Carolina
You might find some parts out in cyberspace on eBay or Craigslist from time to time. Recently there was a guy parting out an entire C11.

With that said however, there is nothing that you can't fix or remake on one of these. Let's see some pics.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

new port richey , Florida
I had the same problem with mine and ended up taking the door apart and rebuilding the frame.
Remove the window and door lock ass., turn the door outside down and remove all weatherstripping and caulking along the edge.
Once you have that done you'll see the outside skin is bent over the inside skin along the edge, carefully bend this up all the way around.
Don't overdue it, you don't want to bend too far and start stress cracking along the bend.
With a little coaxing the inside skin will lift off.

I put a few coats of epoxy on the new frame before ass. and used foil covered foam board as insulation/stifener.
69cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Columbia , South Carolina
I will probably rebuild my door at some point too. What is the inner frame made of? Wood?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

new port richey , Florida
The inner frame is wood and then you have a corrugated cardboard (read sponge !) core in the center.
Hold the outer skin up to the light and check for pinholes, mine had quite a few.
69cayo is offline   Reply With Quote