Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Texas , Texas
DC Electrical problem in Avion

Trailer- 72 Avion

Here is what I know:
- the power does not work on DC. It does on shore power
- I looked at the inverter and can definitely tell it has been gotten into before by previous owner(s)
- the AC side is good and runs when there is shore power, it makes a clicking noise when shore power is plugged/unplugged
- I can jumper the lights using a powerprobe when on DC

I am unsure where else to look. I suspect it may need to be replaced as it is the original from Progressive Dynamics. If I do need to get a new one, would it be the auto switch transfer like this? https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/au...ansfer-switch/ they have lots of products.

Thanks, trying to figure this out before calling uncle and having a pro look at it.
haanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
No. That is not the correct converter. If you're existing fuses and circuits are good look at either the progressive dynamic PD4655V or consider a power max pm3-55 off Amazon. The progressive just slide single your existing case. The power max will need to be mounted nearby (on floor) and then a short cable run to fuse box.
If your circuits and cabinet are bad, look at progressive dynamics PD4045KV.
Make sure the DC cutoff switch on the main Avion control panel is not activated before you give up on your current converter.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Dr Gradeless recommends (with the power disconnected to the trailer) cleaning all connections and especially the fan in the old converters. Says it'll do wonders for the converter. Mine hasn't shown any issues in my '78 so I haven't futzed with it yet, plus, I may have to remove the toilet to get to the guts of the inverter (mine is located in the lower cabinet next to the toilet, center bath).

Keep us up to date with what you do please.

Thanks,
Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Texas , Texas
I called progressive dynamics and talked to Dennis in tech support. Wow. He is amazing and spent time explaining everything. He gave me the name and number of a authorized reseller , who was also top notch, and got it the other day. I got the 9245 https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...vertercharger/

Installed it tonight with the help of a mechanic friend. Turns out the wiring was incorrect on the DC fuse block, so perhaps the original was still good? Doesn't matter, as the new one is installed. Lights work on DC, it charges, I am happy.
haanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Glad to hear you got it worked out!
I hope to replace the DC section of ours sometime soon. Progressive makes an awesome, almost drop-in replacement for what ours has.
Also kicking around the possibility of converting from 30A service to 50A.... so, need to settle that first.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote