Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Curtis Wright Window install

Happy 4th of July! For a month, I've been working on the CW. I should take a break today but I'll probably work on the many things that I need to get done on the CW anyway. One thing that I want to figure out before I attempt it is, how to put the alien eye windows in. John (PLVMB) installed his using the original idea of putting a frame of plywood inside the aluminum channel that goes around the edge of the window area on the body. I was thinking of doing that and using Sikaflex to slather the wood in order to make a nice seal. The only problem with that is that, if I want to remove the window at a later time and replace it, it would be impossible to remove the channel without damaging it. I want to use the original channel but want to use some other method to attach it to the body of the trailer. What have you guys done? Is there a rubber gasket that I can use instead? When removing and replacing the windows, is it necessary to remove the channel from the body? If I can permanently put the channel on the body, I would permanently install it with Sikaflex. Not real sure how to install the window so that it doesn't leak. HELP! As for the restoration (renovation?), I have done so much. I have wired it, stripped the interior paint, removed lower panels, removed the windows and have started cleaning the windows and frames, and have worked the huge dent out that looked so awful. I called several "paintless dent removal" guys, and none of them would even come out to look at the job. They all said that getting dents out of Airstreams never comes out looking good. Replacing the panels is way too pricey, sooooo... get to work! To remove the huge dent, I removed half of the interior end cap to gain access to the inside of the dent. I then used a car jack with a 2x4 to push the dent out along the dented rivet lines. With a little pounding, pushing, and rolling I managed to make this horrible dent look very presentable! There is some waviness to the metal but I will live with it and come up with a great story about the origins of the dent. Patina. This trailer has lots of patina! I have seen the incredible work that you all have put into your trailers and am so amazed. I will be toning down my restoration/renovation by cleaning up what is there and leaving much of the patina there. I have always felt that you can restore the vintage right out of a trailer. The character of the trailer lies within the features of the patina. Too much patina, however, is too much patina! A happy medium will be the result. Anyway, back to the Plexiglass (Lexan?) window install, if you can provide some details about window installation, I'd greatly appreciate it! Here are a few pictures of "finds" that I ran across while doing work on the trailer. The mouse palace, the electrical fire in the wall, stripping 4 layers of paint, and the current interior. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140617_111907.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	215644   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140617_143938.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	215645  

Name:	20140623_113927.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	215646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_185458.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	215647  

chris hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
Chris, The window is bolted in-between the c channel and the interior trim around the window. I don't see why you can't permanently install the c channel
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
After looking at it, I think you're right. There must be a gasket that goes between the c channel and the Lexan. I might just use Sikaflex and scrape it away if I ever needed to replace the window later. If there is a rubber gasket that others have used or some weather stripping that works well, I'd like to find out what it is. Thanks! Chris
Old 07-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Use window glass butyl bedding tape.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
here is a shot from inside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	216052  
Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Thanks for the picture John. Thinking about it, the c channel with plywood is a spacer and looks like it is prone to leaking if no sealant is used. I think I might slather a load of Sikaflex in the channel before I put the plywood in.
when I pulled my windows apart, I saw tiny nails that held the channel, body aluminum, and plywood all together. The nails looked like they were bent over to secure everything together tightly. Ultimately, it all is still a spacer that doesn't really need to ever come out. Permanently installing it with a good sealer doesn't seem to have a down side. Getting the wood cut perfectly seems to be somewhat difficult. How did you make a pattern for the plywood? As far as the CW restore goes, I have taken all of the Hehr windows out, dismantled them, cleaned them, and finished them with 0000 steel wool and aluminum brightner. They still have a little corrosion patina but that corrosion is isolated in the inner parts of the windows that doesn't show when the windows are closed. Overall, they turned out looking great!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Chris, have your girlfriend hold a piece of 1/4 inch up to the back side and trace the opening and calculate back and try and scribe the line. I cut it with a jigsaw