Old 09-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Confessions of a Vintage Kin Owner...

Iím a trailer enthusiast. There, I said it. I like to tow stuff that has a specific application. From where I sit, if I looked to my right, Iíd see a camp ready classic Vintage 1978 Avion 28M, next to that is an open plan 1964 Silver Streak Sabre that Iíve redone as my personal design space. Further on, youíd see a 1977 Airstream Sovereign 31í in pieces, shell in one place frame in another. Itís a work in progress for sure. Next to that is my 16í box trailer that I converted into a camera and darkroom. Iíve made gigantic pictures with this thing for a number of clients. Itís the shortest and lightest of my fleet but the worst towing because of its flat back.

I am very active in the Avion specific forum but continually come back here for the quantity of information. Mostly, you folks are so great. Iíve experienced a lot of trailer bias but thatís kind of to be expected on a site dedicated to Airstreams.

My confession is thus: I totally milk this site for information, and while I believe that I add to it, I certainly take more than I give. I just want to thank everyone who tirelessly adds their two cents and makes this forum a nice place to be.

Ian

Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great confession. If I ever find a 1948 Silver Streak with alien eyes front windows, Iíll be with you and yes, you do contribute a lot to this forum.

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Here is a picture of my 1957 Avion 20 footer that I purchased from a couple of years ago from the original owners as you are an Avion addict.

Back when I purchased the trailer Chuck Cayo told it was the second oldest Avion trailer he was aware of that has survived. It was built in 1956.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_152010_resized.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	351425  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Great confession. If I ever find a 1948 Silver Streak with alien eyes front windows, Iíll be with you and yes, you do contribute a lot to this forum.
Thanks Bubba, I appreciate it and your contributions as well.

Ian
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Here is a picture of my 1957 Avion 20 footer that I purchased from a couple of years ago from the original owners as you are an Avion addict.

Back when I purchased the trailer Chuck Cayo told it was the second oldest Avion trailer he was aware of that has survived. It was built in 1956.
Nice one Mike! I’ll have to admit, buying an Airstream is what made me want an Avion. It’s the BetaMax vs VHS thing (for those of you who are picking up what I am putting down). In the end, I’ve discovered a love for all things riveted and trailered. Let’s keep these icons going for the next and next and generation.

Folks like Chuck Cayo are genuine gold, but they won’t be around for ever. While no one can replace a Chuck or a Wally for that matter, we can do our part to be the best liaisons for the folks coming after us...

Again, thank you...

Ian
Old 09-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

A few years ago, I spoke with a guy that had sold both Airstream's and Avion's back in the day.

He said, "The Avion was a better built trailer, Airstream just had better marketing".

After looking at the 60's era Avion that was in for repairs, it appears he was right.

Enjoy,
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I believe they all have their merits, airstream style for instance, can’t be denied. But having seen and worked on the nether regions of several vintage trailers, I’d have to say the frames of Avions and Silver Streaks are much stronger and don’t really require the shell to hold the frame up. A weakness of the Airstreams design is the plywood in the shell/floor/frame sandwich as many have discovered. When it’s all buttoned up it works great, but when it fails, it does so very well...

There are questionable design decisions in Avions, Silver Streaks etc... to be sure.

Ian