Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

1960 17' Pacer
Friday Harbor , Washington
Classic Airstream Insurance

Hi..I am new to the Forum..

I have a 1960 Pacer that has been restored/modernized. Does anyone have a suggestion for Insurance that would be a Stated Value means of insuring my trailer.

THANKS.. JON
jkusner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have my insurance thru Foremost. We agreed on a value of the trailer and that is what they will pay me if totaled. No additional inspection was required. I faxed them a copy of my bill of sale as proof of value. I hope I never have to test them on this but I do feel comfortable that they will honor the agreement. Nationwide, Allstate and Good Sam would not issue an agreed value policy at all for my Bambi II. They wanted to use some mythical book value of $4000 max.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
I would be interested in a couple of options for this as well. I have 1965 Streamline in-process. There surely has to be a way to determine value based upon current condition.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
You could also look at Progressive Insurance. They help me decide on the coverage I needed. I have replacement at a fixed value we agreed upon if totalled.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I forgot about Progressive, they are no longer writing NEW policies on vintage trailers. They would not cover my Bambi II for any amount of premium.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Try State Farm. I have my insurance with them.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Last week I tried both American Family and Progressive. Both said no to agreed value replacement policy. Both would do actual cash value. I'd be interested to hear of someone who has agreed value policy and has actually tested that in a claim. I read about quite a few who have what they think is an agreed value policy with no actual test of claim. I'm not very interested in those.

Anybody had an agreed value policy with a paid claim for agreed amount on a restored Airstream?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Earlier I posted about trying Progressive. Sorry, I didn't realize they only write those policies on new trailers that are within a certain time period of purchase.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Most agents will work with you especially if you have other policies with them. It is worth at least what I have in it. I expect I am around $10k so far and I paid $5k for it. So it is worth at least $10k. Now if you can find out how much the previous owner put into it then you have something to go on. You might be able to insure it for a flat amount but most of them don't want to do that. So will use the original purchase price when the unit was new.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I would urge you to make sure that whatever deal you get into, if you're really concerned about not getting shanked, that you consult with a decent lawyer who can at least help you understand all the legalese. Insurance companies are notorious for fine print and don't think for a moment that if they can get out of something, they will hesitate to do so.

Just some advice from someone who's been burned three times already with this stuff! (Though only once with RV insurance).
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
I have AAA insurance and they charge me for my stated value. I believe I will have to prove the value if I make a claim. I think sale sites, if you can find similar trailers,. will help but they are still an insurance company.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We called FCIS that advertises in Blue Beret: 800-331-1520. They seemed to know what they were talking about, very reasonable premium for agreed value policy. No claims yet, so ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Progressive agreed a set price (replacement cost) on our 1972 International. I did this through the partnership with USAA, so that may be why they allowed it. They may be open to other insurance company partnership as well.

Good luck

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I got AAA insurance, but it turned out to be Progressive. I don't think it's 'stated value' though, I had to have an appraisal done, and the trailer is insured for the appraised value. If the market changed significantly, I would probably have it re-appraised every few years, but we had it done when the market was high, so I think the value is still appropriate.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Stephanie, what did the appraisal cost you?