Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Kate McKinnon

1969 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Can anyone help ID this trailer?

I just bought it, and am expecting delivery of it next week.

The title says that it is a 1969; it has been advertised as 33', but the trailer body itself is more like 26'. The plate on the trailer says "Imperial" and "Streamliner." How are these trailers measured?

And what I really need to know is this: Will it fit through the nine foot narrow space in my driveway, to get to the back yard?

If anyone can help me with these measurements, and maybe a model ID, here is a link to the Craigslist ad where I found it. Thank you so much in advance.

vintage Imperial Airstream RV Trailer 33ft

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Airstream?

Hi, From looking at the one exterior picture from the craigs list posting I would say that I don't believe this to be an Airstream. It is too squared off on the corners. It has a different door than on any ' 69 Airstream I have ever seen. I also don't believe the trailer model names you listed are Airstream. Ed

AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Not an Airstream

This is a Silverstreak trailer.. not an Airstream.. maybe someone else on here is an expert on these old girls.. I'm not... pretty cool old LONG trailer... good luck.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
It absolutely, definitely, positively will NOT fit through a nine foot driveway so I will come and haul it away at NO CHARGE! Just kidding.

It does look like a great trailer but it really will be a tight fit. Better have a good driver.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Can anyone help ID this trailer?

Greetings Kate!

What you likely have is a 29' Streamline Imperial. Streamline was one of Airstream's competitors. In the 1970s, Regency and Imperial were the two trim lines available in each of the lengths of the Streamline. There is a wealth of information on Tom Patterson's site (linked above) regarding Streamline coaches.

Good luck with your new coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #6

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think it is a Streamline, also not an Airstream. More information here:
Houston Chapter Streamline Royal Rovers
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Kate McKinnon

1969 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I so appreciate the ID; I must admit that I'm sort of shocked. I was attached to the idea of the Airstream...I've had a few moments of silence while I absorb the fact that I bought something else. I've been poring over Tom's site, though, and it's fascinating. The great news is that they all seem to have 8' 8" width, which means, I guess, that we have four whole inches of play.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Kate McKinnon

1969 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
By the way, I assume that the Streamline is worth a good deal less than an Airstream, and that parts are almost impossible to get?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Lethbridge , Alberta
Older trailers are generally a maximum of 8' wide. Many newer trailers are 8'6" (102") which is the legal maximum (without an overwide permit) for vehicles just about everywhere in Canada and the US.

A nine foot opening will be tight, but can be done. An alternative tow vehicle like a small tractor might be useful.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #10

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMcKinnon View Post
I so appreciate the ID; I must admit that I'm sort of shocked. I was attached to the idea of the Airstream...I've had a few moments of silence while I absorb the fact that I bought something else. I've been poring over Tom's site, though, and it's fascinating. The great news is that they all seem to have 8' 8" width, which means, I guess, that we have four whole inches of play.

Kate,

Congratulations, you have purchased an excellent and very well made trailer. All of the interior parts and equipment are similar to what was utilized in Airstream and Silver Streak trailers of the same time period. Vintage Trailer Supply can be a source for various parts etc. Originally the Streamline and Silver Streak trailers were considerably more expensive than a comp. Airstream. In the current market they are considerably LESS expensive than a comp. Airstream. However over the past year or two the Streamline and Silver Streak trailers have been appreciating in value. You have a rare and unique trailer, that you will be very proud of, once you have given it a bit of TLC. Tom Patterson has a Streamline, and is probably the most knowledgeable Streamline person in the country. Contact him directly for a wealth of information.

Best of Luck with your new Streamline,

Regards,

Ralph Cooke
Bakersfield CA
1972 Silver Streak Cont. Atlas, 26'.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #11

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ditto to what Ralph said.

Please note that your 9' wide driveway may not be 9' wide if there is an eave to the house projecting into the space. Once you get it in there how will you get it out? Will you have to back it in one of the directions?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hi, let me chime in on the subject....I owned a 1968 Imperial Empress, so I'll clarify this real quick and simple for you.

There were two trim lines, the Regency and the Imperial, like Kevin said. Regency was to Streamline what the Land Yacht is to Airstream...the base model. The Imperial was the equivalent of the International...you got all the bells and whistles with your trailer.

Streamline always put the name of their model trailer under the blue script "Streamline", on the front and back caps of the rig. Here is a breakdown of the 1969 Streamline model names and lengths:

19' Prince
21' Princess
23' Duchess
25' Duke
27' Countess
29' Empress
31' Count
33' Emperor

Streamline banked on the regal theme to sell their trailers. What you have is a very well-built trailer which, in my opinion, rivals and even surpasses Airstream in some aspects. Your bathroom tub and shower is light years ahead of Airstream...you won't have to duck to take a shower. Your Streamline will have tons of cabinet space, like the Airstream, AND you'll have a cabinet to actually set up your TV in...the platform will slide in and out, so you can watch it in your bedroom or in the living room.

Go to www.tompatterson.com and you will be able to get a bit more info, although I haven't seen Tom update his site in some time now. I met him at a vintage RV Rally in Newport, CA...very nice man.

The Streamline RV club is called the Royal Rovers. They do still exist, however they are not on the internet...you have to call them the old-fashioned way and sign up. Streamline was bought up by some big company in the early 70's and eventually sold and written off as a loss, during the gas crunch of '74, so the members of the Royal Rovers are, in many cases, the original owners of their rigs and getting up in age. There's no new blood in the group, that I know of, and I fear that the club will vanish, as its members do.

Good luck with your purchase and post pics, when you get the chance.

If you have any more questions, ask away. I owned my Streamline Empress for three years and loved it.

on edit: I just looked at the Craigslist pic...at first glance, it does look to be a 33' Emperor. It will NOT fit in your 9-foot space. Call me at 325-450-6769...I would love to talk to you more.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
By the way, I assume that the Streamline is worth a good deal less than an Airstream, and that parts are almost impossible to get?
Airstreams are at the top of the heap as far as collectability. Streamlines, Sinlverstreaks, Avions, Spartans and a few other brands are definitely collectable but tend to not fetch as much. On the other hand there are a lot less Streamlines out there.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I so appreciate the ID; I must admit that I'm sort of shocked. I was attached to the idea of the Airstream...I've had a few moments of silence while I absorb the fact that I bought something else.
A lot of folks assume all silver trailers are "Airstreams"...especially those trying to sell their vintage kin. No problem, looks like you got a nice trailer regardless...congratulations! Hope the size works out for you...if not, you may decide to spin it and get a smaller real Airstream. If you do decide to look again, you will find the info and pictures here very helpful.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969, imperial, streamliner