Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #41

Springfield , Missouri
I just joined the site today, ran across this old thread and thought I'd add my .02. I enjoyed an 86 Avion 25-H for a number of years and only recently let the insurance company buy it due to hail damage. I was well satisfied with it. Mine had solid wood cabinetry, not veneer. It weighed 5,000 pounds, towed like it wasn't there and was exceptionally well built.

I also have a 67 Avion C-10 truck camper which is looking for a new home (due to the purchase of an 09 Arctic Fox 990). This camper is listed in the classifieds on this site. They are rare, and if there are any silver bullet folks wanting to add a truck camper to a stable, this is the one. Again, solid hardwood cabinetry and darned well built. Original factory fridge still works great. See ad for details.

My late cousin steered me in the direction of Avions, for which I am grateful.
MyBlueHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hart , Michigan
I have a '74 28ft Avion La Grande that I love. The floor problem areas on alot of Avions were inside the door. The sill to doorframe gap commonly didn't get any sealant put on an water would enter onto the top floor plywood. The Avions were built with a superior three layer, foam insulated floor system and usually only the top plywood layer is water damaged.
I replaced the floor in the front right corner from the door up in my trailer and took alot of pics if anyone wants a pic tutorial/guide. Its pretty easy to fix it factory style. Email me at MonkeyMudd@gmail.com if anyone is interested.
I do have the Mor-Ryde suspension and besides from the weight, I can barely feel the trailer behind me. None of the system has ever been replaced besides shocks and shows no signs of wear or fatigue. There really isn't anything to wear out and the axles are still easily servicable by Dexter.

BTW: I'm working on making clear/opaque factory style 18" vent covers for the Avion roof vents. Please inform me if you are interested in these for your most-likely-in-need-of-one Avion.
Adam

www.reo-campwagon.blogspot.com
MonkeyMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Suspension?
We dont need no stinkin suspension.
Our '63 T-20 has a strait axle and leaf springs. No shocks or More-rydehydroglide-thingamagigy.
On the plus side, theres very few parts to break. On the downside, you learn to store the stove grates in the silverware drawer because you get tired of looking for them and the end of your trip.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up '88 3 axle Avion

I full timed in a '88 triple axle Avion for about 6 years and it was a really good unit. The living area was modified to include a desk in place of the dinette - Huge storage/bookcase area across the front - and 2 wall hugger recliners on the door side. It had center twin beds and a large bath in the back. The only criticism I had was it went through tires more frequently than my other units.
Fleetwood had purchased the company by'88 and stopped production in '89. Fleetwood then used the name on some up -scale but poorly built 5th wheels. They had a major problem with weld failures in the goose necks. In my opinion, Avions were far better constructed than Airstreams
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #45
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Dillemma in Aluminum

Having visited this website on rare occasions (it tells me my last visit, 5:46 PM, on 01-04-2008), I was delighted to discover this now aging thread. The thread is enlightening, and if it's not too late, I can corroborate much of the interesting commentary from other owners.

My wife and I recently purchased an Avion, 30", 1985 model, rear bath. We certainly did not need it as we already have an 86 Excella 34", but I thought I would share my observations to date, on the Airstream Life website. It can be viewed here if you have a few minutes;

Insight Out » Blog Archive » Dilemma in Aluminum

You are welcome to chime in; no surprise at the cult following for the Avion brand.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Drcharles2, your blog entry illustrates that A/S needs to put the products on a diet. An AVION should be far heavier. If it isn't, then it IS the superior trailer for the reasons cited.

An A/S ought to be streamlined, light and strong. Weight only kills the advantage of semi-monococque construction. If that means that it is a bit narrower, lower to the ground and more rounded, then so be it. A fellow named Wally sold thousands of them that way.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Somebody had a l973(?) Avion for sale in a parking lot near us last week, we gave it a good looking over. I was impressed with the body, it looked great ( no dents or serious blemishes at all) on the outside. Inside, well, I am not sure if part had been replaced but I didn't care for the cheap plywood construction of the gaucho and beds (it was a 28' twin), and wasn't really impressed with the cupboards, but the bathroom seemed huge. And lots of storage. Not a lot of charm, tho. The window cranks were all broken, maybe this was a flaw with the Avions, or maybe somebody was just pretty rough with them. However it seemed pretty good for it's age, just minor stuff that needed fixed, other than a suspicious softness of the bathroom floor. I would not have been afraid to buy this sturdy coach. I believe the plate said something like 7200 lbs. The guy was asking $3,900 which I thought was a pretty good price.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The older Avions were "window limited." As in, they were dark inside. I didn't care for that. I looked at some 70's models and they (A) didn't have enough windows and (B) were finished in these really dark colors inside. The materials were first rate, but the coaches were just too dark.

Now I don't know for certain what year they "brightened" them up, but I know that 1986 and newer got the "Picture Window" in the living room as standard.

My 1987 Avion is brighter than my '77 Excella was with the Vista Vue's closed. Now, nothing is brighter than an Airstream with the Vista Vue's open (never mind the Scotch Tint that had disentigrated into corn flakes between the panes) but the mid to late '80s Avions were plenty bright inside, with light colored stain on the real hardwood cabinets. I am most pleased with mine.

The frame on an Avion is something the 'streamer should envy. They have a really good frame. Mine has three 8" deep box sections running the length of the coach, with a 6" suspension frame bolted to the bottom of it to carry the triple "axles" with their six independant swing arms and six wheel fully independant suspension (Yes, it rides superbly.) You get 14" of steel where the maximum bending occurs....there is no sag or separation with an Avion.

It has windows similar to an Argosy where you get some wrap around on the front and a lot of wrap around on the back. It's pretty nice.

I love Airstreams, but I like the Silver Sisters as well too. Silver Streak and Streamline built some really nice coaches too.

Dusenburg didn't go out of business due to a bad product....

See you guys on the road!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcharles2 View Post
Having visited this website on rare occasions (it tells me my last visit, 5:46 PM, on 01-04-2008), I was delighted to discover this now aging thread. The thread is enlightening, and if it's not too late, I can corroborate much of the interesting commentary from other owners.

My wife and I recently purchased an Avion, 30", 1985 model, rear bath. We certainly did not need it as we already have an 86 Excella 34", but I thought I would share my observations to date, on the Airstream Life website. It can be viewed here if you have a few minutes;

Insight Out » Blog Archive » Dilemma in Aluminum

You are welcome to chime in; no surprise at the cult following for the Avion brand.
Good Dr. Charles II,

Your 1985 30' Avion as pictured with its beautiful solid cherry cabinetry in your delightful posting, "Dilemma in Aluminum" is a real find and keeper.

I suggest that there is no dilemma. Keep both the Airstream and Avion... one parked in each of your favorite seasonal haunts (north shore of Lake Huron and southern Arizona)!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #50

Agness , Oregon
1984 avion

We have the '84/83 34' avion and for me it's a dream come true. My hubby complains it is too long and would prefer a shorter one. It has the single beds in the back which I love and the bathroom is huge. We had an episode where a wheel bearing went out so we replaced all of them etc. Now he wants to replace the brakes whether they need it or not. So it has sat for 3 years and we got a smaller truck and use it as a guest house. Now we are faced with the cottage that we rent being sold out from under us and looks like we might have to move into the "guest house". I'm rambling, they are great trailers in my opinion, pulls so smoothly, comfortable etc. You'll love it. I'd love to know what ours is worth.
dogpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
At this point in time the dollar spread for a nice Avion 1973-1990 is about $7000 to $17,000 for one worthy of traveling long distance to buy. 1986-1990 tends to be highest. This is from daily reading the past two years of national Craigslist ads.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
Its been a while since I posted, so what a surprise to see this thread alive and well. It just so happens that I am no longer making use of my 30' Avion, so if anyone is interested........
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #53
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Why not put it upon the classifieds with lots of photos? We are coming up to the active time for that area...
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Why not put it upon the classifieds with lots of photos? We are coming up to the active time for that area...
And it's officially for sale. Here is a link. I will add more pictures as soon as it is warm enough (and I can dig a path to the door.)

Silver Avion for sale - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
Just wanted to post a quick update to say that I have added some more pictures to the "for sale" mentioned above.

and even more pictures here

https://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.s...eat=directlink
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #56
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Great bunch of photos! Do you know, does the Avion trailer use the same type of axle as Airstreams do, or are they on springs with shocks?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Great bunch of photos! Do you know, does the Avion trailer use the same type of axle as Airstreams do, or are they on springs with shocks?
Depends on the year model. Up through about 1967 AVION was on live beam; then through 1976 was on a walking beam suspension by MOR-Ryde; then through 1987 on DEXTER half-shafts suspended by leafs; then 1989-90 on AL-KO torsion axle.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #58

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Depends on the year model. Up through about 1967 AVION was on live beam; then through 1976 was on a walking beam suspension by MOR-Ryde; then through 1987 on DEXTER half-shafts suspended by leafs; then 1989-90 on AL-KO torsion axle.
We have had great performance with the MOR-Ryde on our 73.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Adjust-A-Ride

And my '87 Adjust-A-Ride (six individual swing arms with six individual spring packs and six individual shock absorbers) floats like a butterfly

Yep, they're Dexter axles cut in half with a pivot fitting welded on. Kind of like the old Ford "Twin I-Beam" front suspension. It works great though. She rides smooth as silk with 58-60 psi in the tires.

see ya on the road!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Port Townsend, WA , Washington
Hey All,
I own a '63 Avion H-22 and Love it. True, the later Models have interiors that are way tacky, but my '63's insides are beautiful. Birch wood and very simple lines. The one thing that IS a problem, is that when anodized aluminum oxidizes, that's it. I don't care what anybody else says, you cannot REMOVE the oxidation. You can however cover it up if you do it right. I have seen old Avions that were chalk white get pretty and shiny again with the application of a clear coat. "Lily" is a rolling, rock solid, satiny full time home for me and my little dog. I love her.
Blakradish is offline   Reply With Quote