Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Middleton , Wisconsin
Avion Repair Help Madison, WI

Hi folks-

Brand new to the travel trailer experience and I'm searching for some repair help.

Last spring we purchased a 1970 Avion Suntrail Sport Special. The previous owner used it every year and in general it is in great shape and pretty much ready to hit the road.

The one thing I would like to fix asap is the lack of a heat source. The original furnace has been removed and the vent for it patched over. I would like to find someone in the southern Wisconsin area who could competently install an efficient, vented, LP gas heat source.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

MNash56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
You are approx. 4.5 hrs away from Cayo Repair Service in Watervliet, MI. Chuck Cayo's family probably built your trailer. I would seriously consider contacting them, make the trip, and let them do the work.

https://rvservicelink.com/Michigan/C...ervice-5893540

Welcome!

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
You are approx. 4.5 hrs away from Cayo Repair Service in Watervliet, MI. Chuck Cayo's family probably built your trailer. I would seriously consider contacting them, make the trip, and let them do the work.

https://rvservicelink.com/Michigan/C...ervice-5893540

Welcome!
I second this...
Go to Chuck.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Given your proximity to the Cayo Repair Center I’d go there.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Middleton , Wisconsin
Thanks folks.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
If you are open to an alternative suggestion.

I have removed the heater from my 25 ft Avion, and covered over the hole, because the heater used so much battery power, and I usually boondock.

So, if you are interested, I still have the heater.

But you may also be interested in this. I mounted a catalytic heater in the living area, and put a capture manifold above it that has a port into the space behind the refrigerator. This catches the exhaust gas and ducts it into that space that vents the gasses from the fridge exhaust.

I also have a second smaller catalytic heater high on the bathroom wall. When I want to heat the bathroom, I open the ceiling vent to accept the warm and wet bathroom air, and get rid of the carbon monoxide chances.

If you are interested, I can put up some photos.

Let me know.
dower.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
I fully agree with your recommendations for CAYO. I live 5 miles from them and have had them repair some of my older Airstream too. Honest and know their stuff. And you are correct they are the Avion family:-)

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I'm sure a visit to Cayo would be informative and interesting but if you're not keen on the tow here is another option to check out.

I met these people at the Madison RV show. He seemed like an upstanding guy but I have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of his work or knowledge of Avions. He told me he had a lot of experience working on RVs in CA but decided to move back to Wisconsin. His business model is to make house calls with a well-equipped mobile shop.

Patriot RV Mobile Service
Nate & Shannon Prucha
PO Box 38
Poynette, WI 53955
mobile (608) 772-1213
patriotrvmobileservice@outlook.com
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Avion Repair Help Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
I'm sure a visit to Cayo would be informative and interesting but if you're not keen on the tow here is another option to check out.

I met these people at the Madison RV show. He seemed like an upstanding guy but I have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of his work or knowledge of Avions. He told me he had a lot of experience working on RVs in CA but decided to move back to Wisconsin. His business model is to make house calls with a well-equipped mobile shop.

Patriot RV Mobile Service
Nate & Shannon Prucha
PO Box 38
Poynette, WI 53955
mobile (608) 772-1213
patriotrvmobileservice@outlook.com

Recommending someone who seems “like an upstanding guy” you have no firsthand experience with is a roll of the dice. This is vintage kin and a brand that is no longer being manufactured, uses spray applied foam insulation, and anodized skins.

While working on an RV isn’t rocket science, I would take the rig to the experts. They have firsthand knowledge and experience with the Avion brand, otherwise it is Caveat Emptor.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Middleton , Wisconsin
Thanks for the pointers.

Talked to Cayo today and learned a few things.

I appreciate the sage advice.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNash56 View Post
Thanks for the pointers.

Talked to Cayo today and learned a few things.

I appreciate the sage advice.
Chuck is pretty "sage"... I am glad you found him and his business.

One of my bucket list items is to spend a week or two working with him! I have learned SOOOOOO much from him just over the phone, and he NEVER acts like you are bothering him! I am wondering if he might not answer the phone if he's not ready to talk, or maybe he is ALWAYS ready to talk and pass on what he knows about Avions?

Regardless, he is a great guy!

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Recommending someone who seems “like an upstanding guy” you have no firsthand experience with is a roll of the dice. This is vintage kin and a brand that is no longer being manufactured, uses spray applied foam insulation, and anodized skins.

While working on an RV isn’t rocket science, I would take the rig to the experts. They have firsthand knowledge and experience with the Avion brand, otherwise it is Caveat Emptor.

I'm not sure I would characterize what I posted as a "recommendation", but I have learnt my lesson and will certainly not comment on Avion questions again. Sorry.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
I'm not sure I would characterize what I posted as a "recommendation", but I have learnt my lesson and will certainly not comment on Avion questions again. Sorry.
This is an interesting response. I think you fed some valuable information into the thread, while perhaps the user you quoted could’ve been more tactful, I believe the point was that the grandson of the company (easily the most knowledgable person on the planet regarding these somewhat unique trailers) is only a few hours away. Or at least that’s how I chose to read it.

Have a great evening,
Ian

Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote