Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Avion: Modifying a Center Twin into a Center Double

Hi All!

Saw my first Avion only 10 days ago and I'm hooked and on the hunt here in Michigan. Looking for a 28 to 31-footer. Drove over two hours to see Chuck Cayo Thursday and picked his brain for a while.

Problem: I want a center double and Chuck said those were only about 2% of production. Has anyone out there modified a center twin into a center double? I know I could more easily modify a rear twin but, other than tri-axels which are too big for me, the 30P Center Twins and the 28-31 La Grande Center Twins seem to be a lot easier to come by that 30R's.

Thx!
HawkinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Looks like you will need to move the bathroom door about 12".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85p4l.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	217810  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Yup. Pity, yhose mirrors will have to go...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
34's are cool too

The 34's tow like a dream. I was scared to death of mine when I first got it, but it pulls better than my 31' Airstream did.

The only issue with the triple axle is they scrub a lot if you try to turn them tightly on blacktop. As long as your tires are aired up (more than 30psi...) you shouldn't have any trouble.

I've probably pulled mine 20-30,000 miles and it's been great.

Anyway, they are easy to find, have lots of room, and you can mix and match however you like.

Mine is a 34X, which is a rear bedroom. Mine was originally twins, but I converted it to a rear KING. Yes, built a little platform to bridge the two sides, and put a Simmons Beautyrest Plush Firm house mattress in it. Now I sleep like a KING The X had the walkthrough bathroom in the middle, which has the biggest tub/shower I've ever seen in any RV, including the big bus conversions. We are very happy with it.

Anyway, you have a cool idea for a neato project, and I wish you all the best with it and want to see lots of pictures. But, you might find that a 34 would do you well.

Take care,
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We have a 73 with a center double. It looks like a conversion would not be difficult. You would need to offset the bathroom door. Our water heater resides under the street side cabinet where a single bed would be in your application.

Avion did a few one off things when there cabinet guys weren't busy. Ours has a factory cabinet above the bed that converts into a bunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Here are a couple pics of my 1987 34X.

First one is at a rest stop in GA. Yes, they are long rascals....Avion measures the box, not bumper to ball. So a 34' Avion is actually 35' 11" long.

Second one is at the Bryn Mawr campground in St. Augistine, FL. That campground is tight! My spot was sized more for a 25' trailer, but I got her in there. It's the only tight spot I've had in 8 years of pulling it. But I got her in there OK.

The tri-axle trailers really do track well.

Avions are great. Get one and we'll rally someday

See ya,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3144.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	217817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 058.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	217818  

Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
The 34's tow like a dream. I was scared to death of mine when I first got it, but it pulls better than my 31' Airstream did.

The only issue with the triple axle is they scrub a lot if you try to turn them tightly on blacktop. As long as your tires are aired up (more than 30psi...) you shouldn't have any trouble.

Anyway, they are easy to find, have lots of room, and you can mix and match however you like.

Mine is a 34X, which is a rear bedroom. Mine was originally twins, but I converted it to a rear KING. Yes, built a little platform to bridge the two sides, and put a Simmons Beautyrest Plush Firm house mattress in it. Now I sleep like a KING The X had the walkthrough bathroom in the middle, which has the biggest tub/shower I've ever seen in any RV, including the big bus conversions. We are very happy with it.

Anyway, you have a cool idea for a neato project, and I wish you all the best with it and want to see lots of pictures. But, you might find that a 34 would do you well.

Take care,
Just how big is that tub. I've heard it's almost as big as a home tub. Is it as deep - and what size water heater does the Avion have? Enough to actually take a tub bath?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Oooh! Just saw pics of a 30P Twin and the streetside twin has drawers its entire length. So the guts won't have to be moved--must be closer to the exterior wall than the '73 Twin which had "guts" the entire depth of both beds. In the 30P, I'll just have to build a vanity on the streetside (betcha I could reuse those drawers) and widen the door.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
No to the whales. Won't fit at my campsite. But if I could find a 32S...
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I'm thinking about going to foam twin mattresses, building a simple plywood bridge that I can put between the 2 beds, then sliding one mattress to the other at bedtime for a big bed.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
34X's bathtub is 48" long, about 24" wide, and probably about 18" deep. It's also got a seat that goes out toward the exterior that's probably 10" wide that you can sort of sit in the little alcove and wash your feet down below if you want.

I've never taken a bath in it, but my wife and kids have.

I have a 6 gallon Atwood dual fuel water heater, so if I run gas and electric, the recovery is fast enough that you can put 8" in the tub and go for a swim in warm water

You guys enjoy your little 32's....I'll take my Whale
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
There is a 1975 Avion LeGrande with a center double configuration currently listed on eBay. This is a 25 footer though, still needs a few things and is priced a bit high IMO.

1975 Avion Travel Trailer 25ft | eBay

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Yeah, I've been back and forth with that guy just to try to get him to check if the appliances work. He's had it up for sale for a month, posted a ton of pics, but never checked to see if water heater, fridge, ac, etc. were working. Finally did chk and fridge and furnace not working, but won't come down on already inflated price, plus awning's broke and has indications of floor rot near door (pic of base of fridge cabinet shows water damage).
Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Kevin, I meant he's had it on craigslist for over a month for $7500. Still way too high as a Buy-It-Now on ebay for $6900.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post

Take care,
Jim, you are correct about the way the 34' Avion tows. I have had several TT that I have towed over the years and the 34' Avion is about as close to a 5th wheel as you are going to get, for stability. In fact, it tows better than many 5th wheels because it isn't as affected by cross winds and passing semis as the big boxes are.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
They tow well but once you get caught in a few older COE parks you may wish you had one a LOT SHORTER! We have ended up in a lot of VERY TIGHT SPOTS this summer! So many that we are calling it the summer from ....... LOL!
No damages and NO WE WON'T give up our 34V with the double ( read full) bed, but we WILL be sure to stay on the beaten path more!

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
This thread interests me because I'm on the hunt for a boondocking-friendly trailer and I came across a Avion 25' Travelcade in good condition, but my wife hates the twin beds. I was trying to envision how to move the bathroom door to make it accessible.

BTW, Would the 25-footer lend itself to tucking into small BLM/NFS areas and campground spaces?

We have an '56 13' Shasta now, so I'm ignorant about navigating big rigs.
Glen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Most folks say stick with a 25-26 footer or less if you're going to go to old state parks most of the time. Wally used the 26 footers for his Caravans that went to the End-Of-The-Earth and back, so personally I wouldn't be afraid to pull an older 26 footer anywhere.

But, I haven't been afraid to drag my 34 footer (actually 36 foot since Avion measures differently than Airstream) anywhere

Nah, seriously, I did go to one place this summer that was a little tight, but I got the Long Long Trailer in there.

If you already have the little Shasta, I'd say keep it. Get an Avion 34 footer for the majority of your trips, and use the Little Guy for the off the beaten path places.

But, if you really want to go to the BLM places and such most of the time, I'd go for a nice 25 foot or so Avion. You should be able to shoehorn one of those in about anywhere.

I actually want to get an Avion pickup camper. If I want to cram into a little nook some where that the Whale won't fit, I think a coolio aluminum pickup camper would fill the bill!

I used to walk into the woods with a Bowie knife and my buddies, come out three days later, and we'd build a lean-to out of sticks and leaves, freeze our tails off, have cricks in our backs from sleeping on the roots (sleeping bags and mattresses were for wussies), and get eaten alive by bugs, while eating MRE's and the inner bark of pine trees.

I like my King sized Simmons Beauty Rest, my Carrier 15,000btu a/c, my flatscreen with surround sound, and my Weber BBQ with racks of ribs and 36' of aluminum a lot better!

Best of luck,
Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
We Full Time in ours and love it for that but with our TV the set up is about 55' long so we can't always get in places as easily as a smaller one could.
The "double" bed is actually a 3/4 double (also called an RV double) and is 46-48" wide. The bed overlaps the bathroom door by several inches.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
PattyDoug,

Have you seen this Shasta reissue? Cute little 16 footer, looks like an old one, but has lots of new goodies to make it modern, and $15K out the door.

Last I saw, they'd already sold about 950 of them and are only making 1941 (to honor the year Shasta began).

Might make a nice little State Park Wagon. I'd sure like to have one!

I tried to buy my grandpa's '58 Airstream Traveler, which I believe was an 18 footer, but he sold it to another guy who paid him a lot more than I could Oh well, at least it's still on the road!