Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Avion, is this an Airstream?

Did Airstream make the Avion, or is it a wannabe? I, also, heard some Airstream clubs wouldn't accept the Avion, what's the scoop? Thanks, Kandace

Old 02-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Close but no Airstream

Avion was a separate company. Some former Airstream execs started. Was bought out by Fleetwood. They are NOT Airstreams, but some folks think they are even better than Airstreams. It depends on your taste.

Tin Lizzie

Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
reply to close but no Airstream

NOT EVEN CLOSE

Pat370
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Avion was its own company until it was acquired by Fleetwood, much as Thor did with Airstream. Unfortunately, Avion went the way of most brands that Fleetwood got hold of, while Airstream is still doing very well, thank you very much.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Kandace,

Perhaps the person who told you this was confusing 'Avion' with 'Argosy'?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #6

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Using the 'search' function on keyword Avion, I suspect you'll come up with multiple mentions -- even a few members on these boards IIRC. Sheer numbers favor Airstreams but many speak for Avion being a very high quality product.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Wink Generally, Avion is a better manufacturer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat370
NOT EVEN CLOSE

Pat370
If you are able to evaluate a manufactured product from an unbiased and objective viewpoint; and if you had the opportunity to inspect and possibly own the product before commenting, your post might be different.....
So many times an emotional (and not necessarily logical) response is made when comparisons are introduced....
Having actually owned Avion, Silver Streak, and Streamline travel trailers I can objectively state that the construction design and quality generally exceeds Airstream standards...
That is my opinion.
Remember, Wally Byam flourished whether others failed because he was a very good promoter of his product.
So did Ray Croc with McDonalds. So did Sam Walton with Wal Mart.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I dont know about the other alumatubes, but I can confirm that the Avions have the walls connected directly to the frame, so the floor boards can be replaced without popping the top off.

My '63 Avion has very little floor rot. I cant say if its due to a superior construction technique, or that she's spent most of her 44 years in an arid climate (Colorado)

The only rot I found so far is in the very rear, under the cabinet in the back of the bathroom. Also there is rust in the frame.
Theres evidince of the plumbing leaking at the faucet, and the Vent hood was missing in the bathroom, so water could have come in through there, and ran down the inner shell down to the floor.
I suppose I will need to replace the floor eventually, but hopefully not in this decade.

Wally definatly clobbered the rest of the field in the marketing and promotional department, which is why "that Airstream over there" is the name given to all aluminuim riveted trailers by most people.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Texas, here we come
Commercial Member

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
1971 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Buffalo , Texas
A Avion looks like tupperware, too much plastic.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Cute. Actually, not really. They all have their roots with the same group. And they share many design elements that others just don't. Is it an Airstream - no. Are all bare aluminum clad travel trailers kin and of a class like no others? Yes. Are they all distinctive and have a sophistication that many of the current modern white box campers lack? Certainly. I'm not going to make fun of them or their owners. Saw a really nifty 65 25' Avion at the campground just the other day and almost thought it was an early sixties Overlander, that's how much they look alike. And this thing was tricked out, with a ZipDee, no less. When bought, it was no less a fancy camper than the Airstream. Consider it the Lincoln to the Cadillac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandranch

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I own one of each.

The frame on the Avion is superior to any that Airstream ever had. The shape is more squared off than the older Airstreams, but eerily similar to what the new Airstreams have.

Plasticy? Where? Mine has very nice hardwood inside with stained glass inserts.

Suspension: No rubber torsion axles on the Avion. It has six wheel fully independant suspension utilizing six individual swing arms, six spring packs, and six shock absorbers. There are no rubber axles to have to replace.

Floor: it is about 2" thick but is done as a sandwich with a thin layer of plywood top and bottom (3/8" or 1/2") with wood strips in short direction every two feet in the middle. The bays are filled with foam insulation. Makes a very rigid floor.

Componentry: Is more "standard" than Airstream, as in they use door latches and stuff the same as Holiday Rambler so you can more easily get them. It does have the Bargman door latch like an Airstream.

I like 'em both. But as to another's point above, you will not see sag or separation with Avion.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Confused... NEVER ANY PLASTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandranch
I have owned 12 Avion trailers since 1982. I have owned the 60's, the 70's and the 80's. Avion never used plastic bins, cubbards, cabinets, or bathrooms. But, they are OH so heavy to tow. AS has the lightweight advantage there and I can use a more effiecient TV when I travel with the AS.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Avion, is this an Airstream?

We currently own an Avion also. We are amazed at the construction! No plastic here. We love our Airstream, (it is too cute!) but, I have to say the quality of our Avion is truly unbeatable.

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
do most shine up the avions also ? or is that mainly an airstream kinda thing?