Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Avion Axle advice

I am looking at a 1975 Travelcader 26' Avion to purchase, and inspected the MORyde axles. They need all of the rubber bushings, and may need additional steel parts.

Compared to a Dexter, it looked way more complicated.

Are there are any Avion folks out there that have replaced the MORydes with Dexter torsion axles? If so, are you happy with the choice?
Were there unforeseen dangers lurking, in switching them out. I would pay close attention to wheel/frame placement, axle alignment, vertical wheel travel, and tire clearance.

In looking at the frame, it would appear that I would need to weld on some 3/16" plate to the side of the frame, so I could bolt up the Dexters. The frame looks like it is 6X2 rectangular tube. The welding worries me a bit on the 40 year old rectangular tube, even though it looks like its in really good shape.

Sorry, no pics available.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Just replace the parts needed....a very good suspension...call moryde...they have what you need
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote