Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Anyone know about Mustang Trailers?

I received some information today from a very helpful vintage trailer enthusiast in response to a Want to Buy ad I have in CL for old Aluminum trailers. He is aware of a 1966 Mustang trailer for sale. Looks to be about a 24 footer. It looks to be more square than rounded, aluminum sides and corners. Lots of windows. I can't tell from the pictures if it has a separate toilet and shower or the old "wet" baths.

I tried to google a bit, and didn't come up with much on the manufacturer at all. I'm very curious as to the weight, as that's a big driver in my choice of trailer.

So I'm very curious to know what if anything folks know about Mustang Trailers, which were manufactured for a limited time in the 60's.

I understand that these were made in Elkhart IN, so I'm guessing that they may follow traditional SOB type construction? Anyone know if the internal supports are wood, or metal?

How is the overall construction?

Other than a model in an RV Museum in Elkhart, I was not able to find other examples out there. It makes me wonder if they all just lived out there existence, or if there weren't that many made.

I'm also quite focused on weight, given the capacity of my TW.

This unit reportedly only has one owner and was kept inside when not in use.

So the real question, since it's a bit of a drive to go so, is if these are anything special/particularly well made, or if I should wait to find an AS/Streamline/Silver Streak/Avion that fits my size/weight needs?

What say the collective wisdom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (254).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	218762   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (235).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	218763  

Name:	photo (247).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	218764   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (249).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	218765  

Name:	photo (242).JPG
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	218766   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (246).JPG
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	218767  

RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
well after a few hour of searching on the net, particularly looking at trailers from the mid-60s, this trailer does not seem to be particularly unique other than the exterior was not painted. The bed/kitchen/fridge/dinette layout was similar to many other trailers of the same vintage on CL around the country.

It is reportedly in very nice condition. It is, however, more in the "tin can" tradition that the AS/Avion/Silver Streak/Streamline tradition. I have yet to reach the seller and may slow down a bit on this unit. I think a Silver Streak or 1965 or before Avion might fit my needs a bit better. Of course, depending on price v condition, this might be an option as a "starter" vintage trailer while I look for my dream foot Silver Streak.

If this one were only closer to me, I'd be taking a VERY hard look at it.
22 foot Aluminum trailer Shipping costs would be quite the killer, and negotiating to purchase remotely, let alone getting title to take it home, are just too complicated and cost prohibitive.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote