Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
So once you load the kayak through the front door, where do you put it? And, tie it down?
It has a cargo lashing system with multiple tie down points throughout the cabin.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
So once you load the kayak through the front door, where do you put it? And, tie it down?
You put it right in the middle of the living space and tie it to the hard points thoughtfully provided on the inside of the trailer. (See Bowlus ad on their web site.)

Now, when you stop for the night and want to actually occupy the trailer, I suppose you would have to reverse the process and set the kayak outside. If you are towing with a convertible sports car as Bowlus shows in its ad, you might not even have to unhitch the tow vehicle to accomplish that. If you're towing with, say, your Porsche Cayenne. . . well, then, you would have to unhitch every time you wanted to unload and reload the kayak. (As I said, a rear kayak-loading hatch would be preferable, but clearly not an option on the Bowlus.)

But who knows, some folks might buy a Bowlus just to haul their kayaks behind their million-dollar-plus Prevost motor home. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #63
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I saw that in the video, but it was a conceptual drawing. Looking at the interior I just don't see where you would actually put it inside a $100k vehicle.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
To give the Bowlus its due, that is one advantage of the front door arrangement--you can put a long skinny object like a kayak inside the trailer. Couldn't get most kayaks into most Airstreams (except for those built as toy haulers) on account of the side door.

If the feature proves popular, it wouldn't be too hard for Airstream to add a hatch in one end for that purpose. I think I would prefer a rear loading door. That way it would be fully accessible when the trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle.
Take a look at the Airstream Eddie Bauer Editions...
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Here is a nice article from Gizmag
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"The whole thing stands almost eight feet tall, is 23.5 feel long, and weighs in at under 2,000 pounds. It’ll retail for around $100,000, but the price tag includes having your trailer’s name etched in the wheel skirts."

Oh my goodness - this sucker for packing loves that idea. They have obviously done a lot of research by studying the Airstream customer personality - and noticed how we like to name our trailers.

They are definitely pandering that emotional appeal! I can see these trailers being utilized more by the Canadian corporate contingent as a promotional vehicle. Canadians tend to be more practical when it comes to RV'g. Our climate has a lot to do with that.

Interesting how this American icon was resurrected by two Canadian entrepreneurs. Bravo! I hope their venture succeeds!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #67
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
"The whole thing stands almost eight feet tall, is 23.5 feel long, and weighs in at under 2,000 pounds. It’ll retail for around $100,000, but the price tag includes having your trailer’s name etched in the wheel skirts."

Oh my goodness - this sucker for packing loves that idea. They have obviously done a lot of research by studying the Airstream customer personality - and noticed how we like to name our trailers.

They are definitely pandering that emotional appeal! I can see these trailers being utilized more by the Canadian corporate contingent as a promotional vehicle. Canadians tend to be more practical when it comes to RV'g. Our climate has a lot to do with that.

Interesting how this American icon was resurrected by two Canadian entrepreneurs. Bravo! I hope their venture succeeds!
Hi FaN,

I am totally captivated by this new trailer. Our present 23' doesn't have a lounge area and I find the dinette uncomfortable seating so we were looking to move up to a 27'/28' or even a 30'/31' but then this came along! It is about the same size as our 23' but has a lounge that looks comfortable. We have to see it in person first to make sure it actually fits the bill. The Bowlus wouldn't need a big tow vehicle, which my wife objects to. I've been in contact with them and they are considering moving production, at least in part, to California.

John S.

ps. Have you considered getting that "light headedness" looked at?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hi JDS!

I think I better get that "light headedness" looked at. I wrote "....this sucker for packing loves the idea." What I meant, "I'm a sucker for packaging......"

I'm totally captivated by your captivation over this captivating trailer. Please keep us updated!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #69
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I hadn't heard of Chilewich before. Nor, Plynyl. On a related forum there has been use of this material (EARTHROAMER) for several areas. My TT needs new wall & floor coverings so I saved the article, here , for reference. I'm sure there is more elsewhere . . the BOWLUS seems to have been fitted out very well. I doubt our favorite brand would stand up as well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
It looks very cool and functional ... BUT ... It's no an Airstream ...
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Things I do not like:

1. No oven. Only a microwave. Very limited kitchen storage/prep area

2. Six roof vents = more points of entry for water/leaks

3. Smaller propane tank

4. No black-water storage tank means you'll be carrying your "bucket of goodies" to the nearest toilet for disposal. What if there is no toilet nearby?

Quote:
Not an Airstream.
True. Airstream is better suited for the extended camping/living experience.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #72
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Things I do not like:

1. No oven. Only a microwave. Very limited kitchen storage/prep area. [If it's a convection microwave, that might be OK]

2. Six roof vents = more points of entry for water/leaks. [Have to trust their quality control]

3. Smaller propane tank. [May be customizable?]

4. No black-water storage tank means you'll be carrying your "bucket of goodies" to the nearest toilet for disposal. What if there is no toilet nearby?

True. Airstream is better suited for the extended camping/living experience.
Hi FaN,

To the above I'd add:
1. The gray water & fresh water tanks are small but I have been told larger tanks can be installed, which reduces payload capacity.
2. If the beds are pushed together to make an "almost" king and you're of a certain age which may or may not result in one's getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get out.

They've used the Road Chief for extended trips so I plan to ask lots of other questions. My wife is the pragmatic one so she will keep be honest on this; I'm just so taken by the design and apparent quality that I may be blind to some very practical issues.

John S.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
In my opinion, the market segment targeted is not the TT enthusiest who is looking for 100k do all be all TT. This is about appealing to those that appreciate design, and exclusivity, over functional fullfillment.

Would think there will be many buyers of the corporate ilk to use as an advertising tool. For those who have the money, those who purchase, will be primarily motivated by design and cool factor.

Im sure any proud owner would feel honored for the privilage of toteing the chocolate, in exchage for joy of ownership.

100,000 / 20 years = 5000.00/year

assuming 20 weekends/year usage and 2 toilet dumps/weekend = 40 trips to dump per year x 20 years use = 800 dumps over life.

100,000 / 800 = 125.00 a dump trip for the privelage. Now thats what I call great entertainment value.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Interesting trailer. I find the exterior to be breathtaking, just stunning. I've always loved the original as well, and to my eye this one is just as attractive despite the increase in size.

The interior... however... I don't know. If that were a $50K trailer I think I'd be fine with the interior. Still not blown away, but okay with it.

But at $100K, I just don't find it to be compelling. The finishes and details aren't rich enough, the design isn't interesting enough, for me to really like it. I've seen interiors that I like much, MUCH better from vintage restoration experts like Frank Yensan, Dave Winnick, and Uwe. For $100K, I'd expect something like what those guys are doing, and I just don't see that level of craftsmanship on the interior.

Still a cool trailer though, and if I ever see one in person, I imagine I'll be just one in a long line trying to take a close look at it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Leaks

[QUO

Will this spring as many leaks as an Airstream? However,the Bowlus will fit in some garages,eliminating the leaks!

TE=utee94;1263999]Interesting trailer. I find the exterior to be breathtaking, just stunning. I've always loved the original as well, and to my eye this one is just as attractive despite the increase in size.

The interior... however... I don't know. If that were a $50K trailer I think I'd be fine with the interior. Still not blown away, but okay with it.

But at $100K, I just don't find it to be compelling. The finishes and details aren't rich enough, the design isn't interesting enough, for me to really like it. I've seen interiors that I like much, MUCH better from vintage restoration experts like Frank Yensan, Dave Winnick, and Uwe. For $100K, I'd expect something like what those guys are doing, and I just don't see that level of craftsmanship on the interior.

Still a cool trailer though, and if I ever see one in person, I imagine I'll be just one in a long line trying to take a close look at it.[/QUOTE]
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Alcoa’s chocolate syrup analysis would have been a much more accurate comparison had he posted the figures for a $90,000.00 Airstream alongside his Bowlus estimates.

The European style cassette toilet is certainly no messier than the stinky slinky and it also has the advantage of providing more options. With a stinky slinky you’re tied to dump stations.

That’s just one of the reasons that people with cassette toilets prefer them.

What the Bowlus Chieftain should really have aboard is a macerator system.

Of course, that’s also what Airstream should have done long ago, along with non-rot composite floors, galvanized frames and other long over due improvements.

Sergei

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Alcoa’s chocolate syrup analysis would have been a much more accurate comparison had he posted the figures for a $90,000.00 Airstream alongside his Bowlus estimates.

The European style cassette toilet is certainly no messier than the stinky slinky and it also has the advantage of providing more options. With a stinky slinky you’re tied to dump stations.

That’s just one of the reasons that people with cassette toilets prefer them.

What the Bowlus Chieftain should really have aboard is a macerator system.

Of course, that’s also what Airstream should have done long ago, along with non-rot composite floors, galvanized frames and other long over due improvements.

Sergei
With all due respect, Sergei, the stinky slinky/dump station model is very standard in the USA, and in my experience it's not been at all difficult to find dump stations either at my campground or within a reasonable distance. I'm also an avid boater and have experience with cassette toilets from that arena, and I prefer the black tank/stinky slinky method.

It's certainly a personal preference, but at $100K, I'd be wanting a nice large black tank and a platinum-plated slinky for my money.

-Marcus
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Concur with utee. There are two highway rest stops with dump stations within spittin' distance of me at present. Finding and utilizing a dump station is not a big deal - at least in this part of the world.

There is also the portable dump station option. RV NOW: Portable RV Waste Tanks Come In Handy
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
..the design isn't interesting enough, for me to really like it.
Marcus... I would have thought you'd have put your order in for one just because of the shower head.

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Marcus... I would have thought you'd have put your order in for one just because of the shower head.

Ha! Steve, you know me well. I do love that shower head!

But I can't help but wonder, where in the interior did that other $49K go...?

-Marcus