Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Rivet Leak Update...

Got side-tracked with the leak issue...Good thing in the long run...as I stated somewhere: "water is very powerful"...

Cork floor--on hold...based on water issue and getting the bedroom area redone...what have I gotten into!!!

Snowball effect--and it has been snowing!!

Anywho...

Leak was coming from the lower door area...trailer not level...and it was running in and forward.

Took off the floor trim(at door) and drilled out some of the outside rivets...and the whole rivet scenario(another story)...

Finally got that section dry and a sealer on it...

Basically--I have to order a proper type product(for seam and gap sealing)...got a tube of GE Silicone II for the Rear window(replacement)...in a pinch!! Good thing though--with the snow lately.

Looking to utilize 2-3 components for the majority of sealing on the Silver Streak:
1. Trempro 635(alum) OR SikaFlex 221(alum) for the bigger 'stuff'
2. Acryl-R for the window and panel seam areas
3. ?? Silicone when in a pinch

I read through a great thread--where You might tend to get 'lost' on what to use--BUT: A TON of great info!! Narrowed it down though--I Think

Here are some pics of the lower doorway...actually a smaller aspect(but on a bigger Note) of recent progress
:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2392.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	130535

Name:	DSCF2393.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	130536

Name:	DSCF2394.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	130537

AHH...and on the extior search of Siler Streak....discovered a 'number' of rivets had popped on the underbelly....Will need to get that buttoned up too!!

Wondering about a sealer and whether to replace with rivets on this area....AND IT GOES ON!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Bedroom Area #2 update

Yep..finally making some progress here also--Sorta!

Removed another interior wall--just to 'see': did some cleaning and it will be a template for the wall structure 'rebuild' adjacent to it.

Took some measurements, decided on materials for the wall rebuild(and lower bed area framing): 1/4" luan wall facing and a perimeter structure backing( 3/4 thickness pine)...this will play into the lower bed framing also.

Ah, 1/16" x 3/4 " Aluminum angle--(Thanks for the suggestion) for mounting the section wall. Straight for 4' and notched for the curve(ceiling).

Have blue tape to show the wall section.

Sanded and primered the area that is under the bed framing(housing water tank and storage)....Blue tape shows where the build-out of bed area will be...

Slap Me--but I decided to utilize adhesive vinyl planks for under the bed area framing...Yes I will seal the seams(likely silicone)...but it is an 'unseen' area with utilities.

Here are some pics of the bedroom area:

Name:	DSCF2395.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	130538

Name:	DSCF2398.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	130539

Name:	DSCF2400.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	130540

Name:	DSCF2411.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	130541

I OBTAINED a Puzzle--and it IS Good for the Brain!Progress...sorta...Wish I had more time!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I much enjoyed that my SS interior came apart and went back together with no real trouble (in the areas where I worked on it).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet I Agree...Silver Streaks are 'friendly' in that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I much enjoyed that my SS interior came apart and went back together with no real trouble (in the areas where I worked on it).
Yep, Have to agree with Ya there...overall easy access and straight forward.

I have seen some interior pictures along the way to get a visual of how it was originally...thought about the layout enough.

Missing pieces from when I got the SS has lengthened the process of bedroom area refurbish(rebuild from scratch)...

Time to get it back together though.

Gonna have to take care of those Door Hinges too....

Rednax, Do You happen to have some interior pictures of the lower bedroom area?? I recall Your had twins also--if I'm not mistaken

Enjoy,
Christopher
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Here's a few:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	130624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	130625  

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	130626  
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowman2011 View Post
Yep, Have to agree with Ya there...overall easy access and straight forward.

I have seen some interior pictures along the way to get a visual of how it was originally...thought about the layout enough.

Missing pieces from when I got the SS has lengthened the process of bedroom area refurbish(rebuild from scratch)...

Time to get it back together though.

Gonna have to take care of those Door Hinges too....

Rednax, Do You happen to have some interior pictures of the lower bedroom area?? I recall Your had twins also--if I'm not mistaken

Enjoy,
Christopher
Good job, keep it rolling and keep posting!!
ETN550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks REDNAX for the Pics and the lead on Hinges!!

Thanks ETN550 for the Encouragement!!

Vinyl in under bed areas(95%)....

Supposed to be warmer and nice in next few days...and the bedroom area rebuild will begin.

Since the side walls are exposed...probably gonna give them a light sanding and coat(2) of poly satin...wasn't planning on it...but it makes sense at this point to go ahead and do it!

REDNAX...the street side on mine has the large(stainless steel) fresh water tank under it--which takes up 'most' of the area! not sure I will have an acces door on that lower side??

I have 1 drawer that I figure goes under the curbside bed area?? Other wise...I'll probably put 2 access doors on that lower side.

Have an exterior access door(curbside)...which I will build an enclosure under bed area....

Do You See what I am Seeing!!

Of Course...more pics to come

Cheers,
Christopher
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowman2011 View Post
Thanks REDNAX for the Pics and the lead on Hinges!!

Thanks ETN550 for the Encouragement!!

Vinyl in under bed areas(95%)....

Supposed to be warmer and nice in next few days...and the bedroom area rebuild will begin.

Since the side walls are exposed...probably gonna give them a light sanding and coat(2) of poly satin...wasn't planning on it...but it makes sense at this point to go ahead and do it!

REDNAX...the street side on mine has the large(stainless steel) fresh water tank under it--which takes up 'most' of the area! not sure I will have an acces door on that lower side??

I have 1 drawer that I figure goes under the curbside bed area?? Other wise...I'll probably put 2 access doors on that lower side.

Have an exterior access door(curbside)...which I will build an enclosure under bed area....

Do You See what I am Seeing!!

Of Course...more pics to come

Cheers,
Christopher
Great progress! Going along nice. The aluminum angle will be hard to do in the roof curve. If you can notch it precisely that would look good. I notched mine until I got to the original Zolite aluminum roof panel then switched over to a flexible trim.

However, if you can roll the angle or have it rolled to the radius of the roof this would be perfect.

I'm thinking of buying a low cost Harbor Freight roller later when I get to the middle of the trailer and the front too. Just to be able to roll angle trim into the roof radius would make it worth it. I am also envious of the Airstream CCDs that use rolled trim for round frosted "porthole" windows in the bathroom door and in other areas of the camper. Just looks cool to me. I really like their CCD designs. Very open, modern, shiney, and clean.
ETN550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Bed Pics

Sorry it took a while but here are a few pics from the beroom area. Bed frame is 80" long, 34" wide, 15" high.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0217.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	130965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0216.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	130966  

Name:	DSCF0218.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	130967   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0219.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	130968  

Name:	DSCF0220.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	130969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0221.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	130970  

Name:	DSCF0222.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	130971   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0223.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	130972  

Name:	DSCF0224.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	130973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0225.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	130974  

Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Here's another pic of my polishing project. Just have'nt had a lot of time to work on it, but I will get there. 78 Silver Streak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0226.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	130975  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Structure Strip(replacement)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETN550 View Post
Great progress! Going along nice. The aluminum angle will be hard to do in the roof curve. If you can notch it precisely that would look good. I notched mine until I got to the original Zolite aluminum roof panel then switched over to a flexible trim.

However, if you can roll the angle or have it rolled to the radius of the roof this would be perfect.

I'm thinking of buying a low cost Harbor Freight roller later when I get to the middle of the trailer and the front too. Just to be able to roll angle trim into the roof radius would make it worth it. I am also envious of the Airstream CCDs that use rolled trim for round frosted "porthole" windows in the bathroom door and in other areas of the camper. Just looks cool to me. I really like their CCD designs. Very open, modern, shiney, and clean.
Thanks!!
Yep--the curve is a challenge..not having an 'original' strip to replace...

took some initial 'measurements' and some thought to accomodat a 2' strip of 1/16" x 3/4" angle alum....stopped for the day

Seems it would also have to be stretched and curved--to lessen wrinkles...

Got a 4' section of Alum. Angle Marked and ready to Fasten to the existing 'holes'...which plays into the wall section/bedroom area(curbside) and the exterior Access Compartment(curbside)...Minus about 2" where the wall starts to curve...
I'll probably notch the 2' section for the curve(Most of which is behind the upper cabinet--originally)....and this would leave 2 ceiling mounting points to be addressed(original)....

And the Puzzle...will come together...

TOOLS--the MOST Important ITEM...but lacking in some specialized tools....so I work around this for Now and accomodate with a logic/design for a reasonable solution.

Recent Pics(of Progress)..Coming....

Christopher
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Bedroom Area(cont)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Sorry it took a while but here are a few pics from the beroom area. Bed frame is 80" long, 34" wide, 15" high.
Awesome!!!! THanks!!!!

So, for My measurements...Got the 80" long, Width(bed stringers are 33 1/2 ") width(the ones I have), and I am measuring a heigth of 15 1/2" (from floor to top of bed stringer).

I see from Your pictures that the bed stringers are nailed from the top(to the framing) and there would be a 3/4" fill strip from stringer -to-stringer along the upper framing...

Assuming(from measuement)...That there is 15 1/2" from the flooring to top of bed stringer+ 3/8" for the plywood(upper) flat section(under bed)....
that would be a total of Approx. 15 7/8"?

Fortunately, I have the "original" Pencil Lines(and wear marks) to reference...with assistance from a level...to measure things out....

It helped having Your Pictures(with "original Vinyl Flooring")...I have this under a few sections...and I took some measurements there also to assure proper depth(side-to-side) from the wheel wells to accomodate for Lower Drawers....

Are Ya Following Me still...

So, with 33 1/2" stringers...mounted to the top of the lower(3/4") framing...plus 5/32" Luan facing...that would bring the lower bedroom cabinet area out to: 33 21/32" (roughly 33 5/8")...

Adding in a lower trim piece(above flooring) would bring this out to 34 1/4" ... Which the Streetside Original wall Accomodates...

Where am I....

Oh, So Figuring on a 10 1/4 " Heigth opening for the lower drawers(curbside)....I will need 2 qty rails(upper/lower) @ 2 1/4 " each...then the fill Strips between each drawer will be 10 1/4 ".....add the 3/4" for the bed stringers and 3/8" plywood for the top....almost 16"(-1/8")....

I am VERY ASSUMING..that the Upper Bed(plywood) has a Depth of 38"(width of a twin mattress)?? This would be approx. a 5 1/2" overhang from the lower framing??

Yep...wrote it down..drew it out....MY Writing--Not posting that!!

Speaking from memory here....Are Ya with Me????

In Short_- GREAT PICS and HELP for My Visual!!!!!

Thanks Alot!!
Christopher
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up Shine On....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Here's another pic of my polishing project. Just have'nt had a lot of time to work on it, but I will get there. 78 Silver Streak.

Makes Me think of a Great Pink Floyd Tune...

Very Nice !! Distracting a bit for Me!!

Cheers,
Christopher
Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Bedroom Area #3 update

Been a While!! Stil At It!!

Sanded and primered the back(bathroom area)...took a bit to get the toilet out...back bolt....contorsion--yadaa yadda!!

Took the existing wall section(bathroom--cabinet) out for referencing the 'new section wall' build...

Traced initial lines for the curve--(Good)...have to digress here a bit:

When I got the 5/32" Luan ...cut it to 28 3/4 " width.....well that is about 5 1/4" SHORT of the 'original' wall depth(from walkway to wall)...I based it on the wall section that mounted to the shower stall...OOPS!!

Readily Fixed--Sorta...in the grand scheme YES!!

So,

Got Everything Measured Out....Facia(Luan) for the Wall Section....7 cuts(2 main--5 refined) with the jigsaw(metal blade--finer cut)...

Laid Out the Lines(transposed from the shower wall) for horizontal mounting strips and a perimter frame...which plays into the Approx. 5 1/4" Added width for the Total Bedroom Width Wall...

Digress....From the 'Original' markings....almost looks like there might have been a pocket door??? Hmmmm!?!?

And here are some current Pics of the progress:

Name:	DSCF2419.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	131059

Name:	DSCF2420.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	131060

Name:	DSCF2422.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	131061

Name:	DSCF2423.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	131062

A LOT of time in 'multiple measurements' and finalizing this build....More to Come sooner!!

Cheers & Many Great Memories for All!!

Christopher
Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Keep up the good SS work!

In a post around the 24th,you said it was snowing in Leadville.
Today in NC it was 92, high Monday 95.

We went from April to July temps in a week.
I predict a very very hot summer.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Love these pics - great work guys!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Keep up the good SS work!

In a post around the 24th,you said it was snowing in Leadville.
Today in NC it was 92, high Monday 95.

We went from April to July temps in a week.
I predict a very very hot summer.

It is NEVER Hot here...snowing this evening...even got the fireplace going!!!

I'll skip the Eastern Humid Heat--But I am thinking more along the lines of Desert....Maybe....

The WEST IS the BEST!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Bedroom Area #4....

May not look like much Progress....but the easy part is coming--The Build!!

Here are some more recent pics of seemingly slow progress:

Name:	DSCF2424.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	131281

Name:	DSCF2426.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	131282

Name:	DSCF2427.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	131283

Name:	DSCF2428.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	131284

Ah...See I KNEW that college education would come in handy--the books I kept were GREAT for bonding the perimeter strips(framing) for the New Wall Section...let it set-up and finish nailed it...

Got some side strips on the street side for the bed area stringers, dry fit for the NEW wall section(and additional measurements to tie it in with--'the rest of it', Angle Aluminum is in(probably coulda made finer cuts to get the curve--but it IS Secure; and Will be Behind Upper Cabinet), Located Fresh Water Tank for it's resting space; and Built the enclosure for the curbside Exterior Access Door.

Name:	DSCF2429.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	131287

Name:	DSCF2430.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	131288

It is Dry fit at the time....because there is the aspect of finalizing build and pieces---with a finish . Have some details to attend to before bed framing goes in....that should go pretty quick at this point--finally!

Much More and Time Flies

Enjoy,
Christopher
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Looking good!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Hueytownalss, do you have a post on how you are polishing your Silver Streak? Would like more information.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote