Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
'77 Silver Streak 'Refurbish'

Here are some interior Pics of the 'refurbish' process I am doing on My SS.

Since the paneling was in decent shape(except for the color!)...I decided to repaint the painted panels(after much sanding--WOW that was a MESS!)

Originally, My thought was to get ALL paint off and go with a Poly Satin over natural Luan wood look...10 hours of Sanding and still nooks and crannies to remove paint....Repainting became the option.

Although, I did choose to sand and Poly the cabinets doors and drawers--in My opinion a little rustic look to compliment the new paint.

NOTE: Later pics are primer...painted pics to come.

I am missing 3(currently) upper cabinet doors...So, I will have to build some. This along with rebuilding the curbside bedroom interior (cabinets/base)...that section was already gone when I got the trailer.

MUCH MORE to DO!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2356.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	129537

Name:	DSCF2357.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	129538

Name:	DSCF2358.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	129539

Name:	DSCF2362.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	129540
chowman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Next Interior aspect to take on...new floor covering(since the subfloor is already bare).

Suggestions?? Other than carpet please :~)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Painted Walls and Cabinets

in progress...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowman2011 View Post
Next Interior aspect to take on...new floor covering(since the subfloor is already bare).

Suggestions?? Other than carpet please :~)
We used cork on our 1983. As quiet as carpeting, cool in summer and warm in winter . . just like the ad copy claims. Some pics of floor in sig link (better in person as bright lights used for photos tended to make it look much shinier than normal, etc).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rednax, Thanks for Your Suggestion! I really liked the look of the cork flooring You had installed in the 83 SS. 12x12 adhesive cork tiles--sounds like an easy install--Other than making sure the floor is properly cleaned and prepped LOL!! After all the sawdust!!

Your previous 83 SS had a Great Look!
Thnaks,
Christopher
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cork or rubber tiles could be good solutions. I'd seal the cork on all sides. I'm not sure rubber needs sealing. Rubber is pretty hard to find in stores, but larger flooring stores may have it. Make sure to leave expansion space between tiles and walls or cabinets and cover space with trim.

My browser doesn't show the photos in post #3—either it's the browser or something else.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gene, I am wondering if there is a cork/rubber tile product available in a floating system? Similar in installation as a clip/lock flooring?

Either way--I do plan on leaving expansion space on edges covered with trim.

My concern is the logevity of a glued/adhesive product--considering weather and altitude variances.

Seems the pics in Post#3 I had to 'insert as image'...I had already uploaded them...but wasn't able to post as an 'attachment'...still learning to navigate around here! Which brings Me to wonder--shouldn't We be able to 'look' at a gallery of pics posted in threads???

Curious as to what info You may have in regards to cork and rubber flooring applications and sources!!

Thanks,
Christopher
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Christopher,

I've never used cork or rubber. I doubt they float or lock and probably need to be glued. You would have to use a floor glue that is for exterior use because of the cold temps up in Leadville. That may be hard to find in a floor glue, but a non-floor glue would have to be used—the flooring manufacturer may be able to help you with that.

I have used laminate and if it gets wet underneath, it can bulge and have to be removed and new pieces put in to replace the damaged ones (I know from experience). I would not use it in an RV although it is easy to install, un-installing an re-installing is not fun and the locking system is delicate enough to not wear well in a 2nd installation.

There are also all wood laminates (the other type has a clear plastic coating over a photograph of a wood floor). I think they are more resistant to water damage. The wood laminates may have some brands with a locking system, but if not, keeping the seams tight requires some experience. I installed one and some seams have opened a little, but it is in a room with no heat underneath (more extremes of temp), sort of like an RV. All laminates are heavy and that argues against RV use.

Vinyl is relatively light, fairly easy to clean and less expensive, but it is not very interesting. Carpet is fine in the bedroom, but is impractical in the public areas—it gets dirty very fast. Because Airstreams with vinyl have had bulging problems in the vinyl, we consider replacing the floor, but choose at present not to look down. When I do, I'll check out the cork and rubber tiles.

Gene
Old 05-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gene,
I have found that there IS Cork 'locking'(for quick terms) flooring available...I thought there would be considering this option for Home use(which I have--should I admit that??)

Considering it was a sheet(adhesive-backed vinyl) from the factory..for which only a few small section remain(under the cabinets of the kitchen area)...

Secondly, I have to REBUILD the storage area(curbside towards rear bathroom) and the Bedroom Lower framing/cabinets(upper&lower)....

I have been contemplating building it out to accommodate a king mattress(I know--eliminates a walkway)...Could still be built to stock(for twin mattresses) with the addition of a center removable(non-attached centerpiece)...All of this plays into the flooring though!!

Since the bedroom area needs to rebuilt--In a Home I would place new flooring throughout the area being remodeled and replace fixtures....This IS a Travel Trailer!! Weight minimalization is GOOD!!

So, I am thinking that I can go with a different Floor Covering for the areas that will be covered with the framework from the bed area(s)...and a Quality Cork Flooring for the 'Exposed Areas'...

Logic, Cost and Reasoning Happening...Visualization and not a Rationalization.....

Regardless--I Need to get the Bedroom Area Back in Order which also includes the fresh water holding tank, a section wall, vents for the furnace, lower cabinet doors and framing....AND IT GOES ON :~0 !!!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
'77 Siler Streak "Refurbish"...

Re-Istalling some of the Doors and Drawers on the front area refurbish...

Have to 'Re-Build' 2 for the front overhead cabinet area...still deciding what materials to utilize there...

Sanded and Re-Finished the Doors and Drawers...Natural Satin Poly...
Looks Nice with the "Straw Hat" (Color) Paint(My Opinion) !

Some of the 'missing' items are in drying process still...

OTHER NOTE: Gonna go for the CORK( interlock) flooring available...Just need to Rebuild the twin bed area ...and get a Refined Number of Square Feet for the Cork Flooring....

Some Exterior and Appliance Issues(Install) to come also.....

Name:	DSCF2380.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	129829

Name:	DSCF2381.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	129830

Cheers!!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Bedroom Area...Remodel.

OK, cleaned out some of the mess and took some measurements in this area today.

This is a big part of the "Refurbish", on the interior aspect, and plays into the cork flooring for the Silver Streak.

Seeing how the Fresh H2O tank, furnace plumbing, Converter and wheel well are ALL on the street side...Makes sense to just lay an adhesive vinyl there(roughly 10 sq.ft. when the bed area is built).

On the Curb Side--I am missing a wall(between bedroom and shower) that makes a cabinet(shelving) area...and Next to that is an Access Door(from the outside) that will need to be rebuilt(maybe)??? Should I???

Then the other Bed Area(curbside)....which I believe had 2 maybe 3 drawers underneath?? I have one--others I would have to build...

So, Curbside has 12 sq.ft. of floor for adhesive vinyl(thinking)...with build out for bed area and underneath storage.

This would leave the walkway(center of trailer) for Cork flooring...with the plan of sealing the adhesive vinyl(under the framework--unseen) from exposure to the cork flooring....

SUGGESTIONS and/or THOUGHTS??? Here are some Current Pictures of the Area I am workin on and Sharing w/ Ya.....

Name:	DSCF2391.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	129917

Name:	DSCF2388.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	129918

Name:	DSCF2387.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	129919

Name:	DSCF2386.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	129920

Subsequently, This is the next Major Area to take care of on My '77 Silver Streak "Refurbish"...

Have a general idea for materials for the wall and lower framing..Yet again--I would like to keep in light and strong....hmmmm.......

The structural strip for the original wall(cabinet area between bedroom area and bathroom) is gone...Looking for a good way to take care of this aspect too!!

And the Interior Restoration/ Trailer 'refurbish' continues...

Christopher
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Exterior Note #1

As I had mentioned in another thread, ETN550 Silver Streak Project!,

I utilized a Gel Stripping compound on the Exterior(painted sections).

The Lower Front and Side panel areas that are Gold Colored "ARE NOT ANODIZED"...As I initially thought(in My post)...

The Front Main Window and Corner(curvded) windows ARE ANODIZED Gold.

I had to use the Gel Stripper on the Front main Shield(Window Covering) Also...The Gold Anodizing Remained!!

SO, All You Vintage Silver Streakers; and those I have had responses to this Aspect....at most 3 pieces(front window coverings) are anodized gold...the rest is painted(AS I Originally thoutht)...

F.Y.I.

Enjoy,
Christopher
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Wall rebuild info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowman2011 View Post
OK, cleaned out some of the mess and took some measurements in this area today.

This is a big part of the "Refurbish", on the interior aspect, and plays into the cork flooring for the Silver Streak.

Seeing how the Fresh H2O tank, furnace plumbing, Converter and wheel well are ALL on the street side...Makes sense to just lay an adhesive vinyl there(roughly 10 sq.ft. when the bed area is built).

On the Curb Side--I am missing a wall(between bedroom and shower) that makes a cabinet(shelving) area...and Next to that is an Access Door(from the outside) that will need to be rebuilt(maybe)??? Should I???

Then the other Bed Area(curbside)....which I believe had 2 maybe 3 drawers underneath?? I have one--others I would have to build...

So, Curbside has 12 sq.ft. of floor for adhesive vinyl(thinking)...with build out for bed area and underneath storage.

This would leave the walkway(center of trailer) for Cork flooring...with the plan of sealing the adhesive vinyl(under the framework--unseen) from exposure to the cork flooring....

SUGGESTIONS and/or THOUGHTS??? Here are some Current Pictures of the Area I am workin on and Sharing w/ Ya.....

Attachment 129917

Attachment 129918

Attachment 129919

Attachment 129920

Subsequently, This is the next Major Area to take care of on My '77 Silver Streak "Refurbish"...

Have a general idea for materials for the wall and lower framing..Yet again--I would like to keep in light and strong....hmmmm.......

The structural strip for the original wall(cabinet area between bedroom area and bathroom) is gone...Looking for a good way to take care of this aspect too!!

And the Interior Restoration/ Trailer 'refurbish' continues...

Christopher
This is My reply in ETN550 thread--Copy and Paste

It is an interior panel--attached to the wall/ceiling/floor...

I think I have come up with a solution:
2 types of mounting strips for the wall section(part of rear shelving cabinet)...

1. a 4ft. length shelving strip(1/2" inner width)--this has all the necessary access points to fasten screws to the inner wall(skin); and provides 2 sides(about 3/8" depth) for the wall section to be 'sandwiched'.

2. Then some aluminum angle(or L brackets) to affix the top(curved) portion of the wall section to the inner ceiling(skin).

Should provide plenty of structural integrity--especially when tied in with the further rearward wall section to make the shelving cabinets.

Looks Like a 4'x8' Sheet of 1/8" Luan and 3/8" backing board--adhered together might be the solution for the wall...then that will also provide for 1 of the sections of the lower bed cabinets.

Kinda sounds like it is getting HEAVY....

Maybe a perimeter frame 3/8" backing with the Luan attached(kinda like it was originally) ...

I'll take pictures and this will ALL make more sense...I have the visual in My head

Cheers,
Christopher
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
How do you plan to treat the floating cork floor where it joins the walls ???? We have an '85 Excella. Previous owner had installed a cork floater. I have pulled some of it up to do some floor repairs due to a leaking window seal. I have found matching flooring to replace what was not re-usable. The PO had simply butted the cork to the walls and ran a bead of caulking. I'm not sure that was the ideal way but haven't come up with a better one just yet. Flooring should be ready to pick up after today so working on it in the coming days. Any ideas are welcome.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rivet Cork Flooring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
How do you plan to treat the floating cork floor where it joins the walls ???? We have an '85 Excella. Previous owner had installed a cork floater. I have pulled some of it up to do some floor repairs due to a leaking window seal. I have found matching flooring to replace what was not re-usable. The PO had simply butted the cork to the walls and ran a bead of caulking. I'm not sure that was the ideal way but haven't come up with a better one just yet. Flooring should be ready to pick up after today so working on it in the coming days. Any ideas are welcome.
Hi Polarlyse,

There should be a gap(up to 1/4") between the cork(floating) floor and the walls--for expansion.

A Bead of silcone at the base of the wall could deter any water from reaching the cork floor.

This will be the method for the front area of My Silver Streak.

As for the bedroom area...where there are 2 exterior access doors, plumbing etc..

Along with the framework I have to rebuild for the beds....

I have decided to utilize an adhesive vinyl on the areas that are out of sight and covered by the frame work.

Then, utilizing a silcone sealant on the interior of the framework/cabinet areas--this will deter a potential water issue from reaching the cork floor area...

All in all...water is powerful...so try and lay it out with an added measure for the 'possibilty' of water...

Additionally, go through and makes sure windows, access doors, and such are sealed properly--VERY IMPORTANT!! Especially w/ a new floor!!!!

This is yet one of the other aspects I will be taking care of...any gaskets and or sealing that will need to be done--before the cork flooring goes in.
Hope this helps; and not too much info!

Christopher
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
OH, dont forget to mount trimming at the edges to cover the gap...and affix it to the walls(or framework)--Not the floor!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
For trim, there are lots of wood moldings available. Quarter round would probably look fine. There is rubber (maybe not rubber, but looks like it) molding to go around curves—looks like an office or industrial molding, but makes it a lot easier when there's a curve.

Attach trim to the wall or cabinet. Since wood cracks easily, dull the pointy end of a finishing nail by whacking it against something hard. That helps keep the molding from cracking when you nail it, or better yet, use a brad gun. Much less likely to crack wood and speeds up the process a lot—they probably can be rented.

Run a bead of clear caulk along the edge of the flooring to seal against water. It will take several days to dry, depending how warm it is. It goes on white, dries clear. Since caulk manages to get over everything, clear is good because if you miss some spots during clean up, they aren't so visible later. Caulk is flexible enough it should have enough give to allow the floor to expand, but someone who knows more than I may correct me.

All this talk about flooring is making me think more seriously about replacing ours, but I think I can avoid it for a while. I keep thinking about how I would have to cut the vinyl out along the edges of the walls and furniture with a carpet or utility knife and how that could be a real pain. I have to keep that picture in my mind so I don't start another project. I think I would leave the vinyl in the bathroom and save myself some trouble.

Gene
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Chowman, are you gonig to build the bedroom back to original or change it up? Mine is a 78 and appears the same as yours. I could make pictures if you like. Especially things under the bed cabinets, how they arranged, and measurements. Also where did you fid the cork flooring?
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bedroom Area Rebuild....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Chowman, are you gonig to build the bedroom back to original or change it up? Mine is a 78 and appears the same as yours. I could make pictures if you like. Especially things under the bed cabinets, how they arranged, and measurements. Also where did you fid the cork flooring?

Hueytownalss,

I have been contemplating change...mostly to accomodate a larger bed...

But, Basically I plan to rebuild with most all of the original layout...the biggest exception might be the curbside upper cabinet area??

Been re-thinking the wall rebuild(where shelves go between bedroom and bathroom)....

Basically, I need to get the floor area in order for where the lower Bed framing goes.

PICTURES You may have would BE GREAT!! I have a pretty good mental visual of how it goes....PICS GOOD!!

Hope to have made some REAL Progress over the next couple days!!

Thanks and Enjoy,
Christopher
Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Cork Flooring source....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Also where did you fid the cork flooring?
After doing a little searching--I am considering going with a cork 'locking' floor from : worldfloorsdirect.com

Seems the price is reasonable and quality is there too.

I have discovered what I thought was an 'old' leak...is actually a 'current' leak...either from the lower door area....or maybe the window....I'll have to take care of that before the floor though!!!

The recent snow melt on the trailer let Me 'discover' this...

And the Joys continue...