Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Arhuranna, I don't really want to interupt this thread by Chowman on his fantastic restoration, so I will start a thread on polishing today. Look for it.

Chowman, keep up the great work...we are all folling along.
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Really like your interior pictures! I have a 75 Silver Streak motorhome (for sale) with the dark wood and shag carpet interior. Very dated. The lighter wood looks great.
Zenflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
I too have enjoyed the progress Chowman has made on Siler Streak. I seem to work on mine more than I camp lately. Keep feeding the posts.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Update #1

Been a Bit since I posted....
Weather got better...went to the outside of the 'Streak' and did some work...

1st repairing the trunk door: it was taped shut from prev. owner; and the fiber board was weathered. New inner board being replaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2402.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	133291

Name:	DSCF2403.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	133292

Name:	DSCF2453.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	133293

Name:	DSCF2460.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	133294

I wondered why the SS looked upside-down?? There is an access door below the trunk door....At some point it may have been modified..

Needless to say I rebuilt it; and re-installed it as it was....now thinking I could have flipped the panel and vent to accommodate for the access door...

had to modify the opening latch with some drilling and bolts(oxidized)...All is working and functional now though!!

And the exterior aspect continues.....
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Exterior Update #2

Then I went to the underbelly access panels....

Found a habitat....from previous place of state...and during some chewed wires. So, I replaced/repaired the damaged wires to the convervter box:

Attachment 133295

Attachment 133296

This was from a panel on the street-side...I dropped all the access panels(popped those rivets); and a curbside panel the had been replaced at somepoint--behind wheel well section (had some screws in it).....

Yep, A LOT of cleaning, thorns, the STENCH....

Bleach and ammonia water--wonderful!!

YES, for the time being I Utilized GE Aluminum Silicone for ALL of the Access points and Screws(mainly Stainless)....

So...Similar Situation in the wheel well area(side-to-side)....the rivets were 'popped' and I went looking.....

No suprise: MORE CLEANING!!!! I ended up pulling ALL the insulation from these 2 sections.

NO I don't have pics--the duty was bad enough!!!

I DO have these 2 sections of the underbelly to replace insulation and get buttoned up(in the wheel well area)....

I decided to venture back inside....
Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Exterior #1

Never Posted an Exterior Pic....

Likely because of a color that was painted on the curbside and lower front area....

After 3 applications of a gel stripping compound on those areas...I am willing to post exterior pics ....

Name:	DSCF2458.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	133301

Name:	DSCF2459.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	133302

I have been told that a Duplicolor Gold will 'match' the original color...

Only the FRONT CORNER AND CENTER COVERINGS ARE ANODIZED GOLD on this Silver Streak Kin Trailer.

And I will post progress of the interior too!

More Progress than Postings!

Enjoy!!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bedroom Area Build

Here is Some of the bedroom area rebuild...it does include a 3 drawer access on the curbside and a 2 door access on the streetside....

Name:	DSCF2553.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	133314

Name:	DSCF2554.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	133315

Name:	DSCF2558.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	133316

Name:	DSCF2559.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	133317

I utilized 1x6x8 pine to fabricate the framing; and 1/4 x 1 1/4 dowels and structurel glue to fasten the joints(with clamping).

This structure is also glued to the existing Floor with 1 1/4 screws and the wall with polyurethane adhesive and screws.

The facia with be 5/32" luan(yet to be installed)....

Originally I had 10 qty stringers...I found that the bed areas originally had 6 stringers per side...so I had to 're-do' the stringers on the street-side of the pictures shown.

And this Build Comes Together
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Hi Chowman,

When you were rebuilding your trunk door did you have to put on a new hinge? Mine will need replaced soon and was looking for advice on where to find a new hinge. Quite a project you are taking on.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Also, on your access door repair, did you put in new wood. Mine appear to be particle board and are rotted.

I have thought about taking mine apart, building an injection jig, and injecting foam between the two aluminum "skins". This should solve my rot problem.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1969 31' Sovereign
Cedar City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Also, on your access door repair, did you put in new wood. Mine appear to be particle board and are rotted.

I have thought about taking mine apart, building an injection jig, and injecting foam between the two aluminum "skins". This should solve my rot problem.
x2
i had the same problem on my `66 Streamline rear compartment door;
IMHO very poor design of the frame (not waterproof at all) and a particle board inside that soaked up the water and expanded
this would be a perfect place to use a piece of aluminum skinned honeycomb (a lot of $$ ) or (as Huey suggested) some sort of home made foam core.

one other idea would be to use a "Rigid" insulation board and glue aluminum on each side.
but it would need to be the harder quality (usually pink or orange) and not the soft white (foamed plastic) one

i know i should ignore the voices in my head .... but some of them have really cool ideas
Got Briards is offline   Reply With Quote