Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
'70 Streamline Duchess

I'm going to look at this trailer after talking to the owner for over 2 weeks. Owner says everything works but there's no title.

I sold my Schult so on Sunday, when I go see it in person, I'll most likely buy it. I noticed there's a lot of Streamline owners here so I've been reading all the comments for repair tips. There's a large damaged area by the door in the anodized aluminum. I was wondering if it was still available or if anyone knew a good place to buy it? And does anyone know if the wood is real or laminate & if it is birchwood on the walls?

It has all the original papers & a key!!! I'm really excited I found this trailer finally (after buying something that was not right for me) I will have an aluminum vintage kin! With that name (Duchess) she must be a girl trailer. Funny they left off the "t" in Duchess...or am I spelling it wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	161059   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	958.1 KB
ID:	161060  

Name:	ss4.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	810.3 KB
ID:	161061  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Looks like a fun project ahead of you!!
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
I have a 66 Duke. My wood finish looks similar to yours except lighter. Definitely not wood. I think it is a masonite product. I have the brochure that came with mine about the product. I normally don't care for those type products, but have learned to appreciate it. It is very light. The doors that are 3/4" thick are 1/4" product on both sides and 1/4" airspace in center. Save weight. They were made with solid material around the edges to accomodate hardware. Also cabinets are aluminum. Pretty well thought out.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg View Post
I have a 66 Duke. My wood finish looks similar to yours except lighter. Definitely not wood. I think it is a masonite product. I have the brochure that came with mine about the product. I normally don't care for those type products, but have learned to appreciate it. It is very light. The doors that are 3/4" thick are 1/4" product on both sides and 1/4" airspace in center. Save weight. They were made with solid material around the edges to accomodate hardware. Also cabinets are aluminum. Pretty well thought out.
Barkingdogg
Thanks for that info. I suspected it wasn't real wood so I'm thinking about painting them which would look better. If the cabinets are metal in mine - they might look nice stripped down to the metal. Wonder if it's stainless???

Here's a photo of the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss5.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	979.0 KB
ID:	161096  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Duchess is spelled correctly, and if Barkingdogg has a Duke, then there appears to be a Royal theme happening.

Regal names are common for older trailers, I guess. I mean, Henri is a Sovereign of the Road, after all...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
Thanks for that info. I suspected it wasn't real wood so I'm thinking about painting them which would look better. If the cabinets are metal in mine - they might look nice stripped down to the metal. Wonder if it's stainless???

Here's a photo of the kitchen.
No, they are aluminum.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg View Post
No, they are aluminum.
Oh nice. Of course they're aluminum thanks Barkingdogg.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
I'm going to look at this trailer after talking to the owner for over 2 weeks. Owner says everything works but there's no title.

I sold my Schult so on Sunday, when I go see it in person, I'll most likely buy it. I noticed there's a lot of Streamline owners here so I've been reading all the comments for repair tips. There's a large damaged area by the door in the anodized aluminum. I was wondering if it was still available or if anyone knew a good place to buy it? And does anyone know if the wood is real or laminate & if it is birchwood on the walls?

It has all the original papers & a key!!! I'm really excited I found this trailer finally (after buying something that was not right for me) I will have an aluminum vintage kin! With that name (Duchess) she must be a girl trailer. Funny they left off the "t" in Duchess...or am I spelling it wrong?
Would love see your original paperwork. Streamline documents are proving to be hard to find. I have a full pdf library of the paperwork that came with, or that I have acquired for my 1965 Duke. I can share that with you if you'll do the same.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi LarryGlover,

I would love to share the paperwork on this forum as soon as I get the trailer home & I can figure out how to pdf them. I might have to take them to the printer to put them on a zip drive. Printer scanner issues at home limit me & lately I can't seem to send photos from my phone to my email which is a big pain since I do a lot of that.

I only briefly looked at the paperwork so I'm not sure what all is there. There's an original purchase folder & a bill of sale. Original owner paid $5000 brand new.

OR I can make copies & mail them to you.

Thanks for the offer. I so admire the '60's Streamlines & would have preferred one but just couldn't pass the opportunity to buy this '70 model.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Nice looking trailer. It looks like it will be a fun project.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I attempted to strip the paint off of the aluminum stuff inside my streamline, It was A PAIN! I decided to just paint over it, much less work. I would like more alumium accents although. Something I am working on. Also, I did not paint my "wood", it looks just like yours, I am curious if someone has photos of it painted.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
I attempted to strip the paint off of the aluminum stuff inside my streamline, It was A PAIN! I decided to just paint over it, much less work. I would like more alumium accents although. Something I am working on. Also, I did not paint my "wood", it looks just like yours, I am curious if someone has photos of it painted.
Thanks for the heads up about stripping the metal cabinets. Do you remember what product used in case I want to try it but choose a different product? Good idea adding aluminum accents too. Painting the wood...the wood doesn't look good so maybe it can be painted. It's not real wood I'm guessing, just like the cabinets. Wonder if it can just be removed. I'm picking up my trailer tomorrow - then I'll have a better idea what I'm talking about when I can really look at everything.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I used a product that was a bright orange stripping gel, called Citristrip. It worked really decent to get off big sheets of paint, but around hardware, and corners, the stuff really took a lot of elbow grease. Kind of like cleaning a gigantic oven. So for small sections, It works really well, but a whole trailer (what I wanted to do) would take weeks of straight work, and I want to move into mine here soon! It would be easier if you didn't mind stratching the aluminum or going for a brushed look, but to keep it shiney I was using a rag to scrub it off, and that took time.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Silverwoman, if you can remove the doors you can take them to a commercial stripper. I've done this. It's fairly cheap and they will look like new. Maybe that will give you enough aluminum accent.

Dan
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Silverwoman, if you can remove the doors you can take them to a commercial stripper. I've done this. It's fairly cheap and they will look like new. Maybe that will give you enough aluminum accent.

Dan
Maybe I am confused, but I think the doors for the cabinets are not aluminum, but a fake wood kind of stuff, but that they actual box making the cabinet is? At least it seemed that way in my trailer.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I'm probably the confused one. I know nothing about the const. Thats what happens when you assume.

Dan
Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamlineAK View Post
Maybe I am confused, but I think the doors for the cabinets are not aluminum, but a fake wood kind of stuff, but that they actual box making the cabinet is? At least it seemed that way in my trailer.

That is the way mine is. The picture on hers shows a woodgrain type finish for the sinkbase. Mine is shiny aluminum.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The doors are masonite or somesuch. Easy to replace, overall. I'd not strip the cabinetry, but prep it for paint (and only if it really needed it).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Looks like a nice rig SW.
Best of luck with it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi Everyone, I brought her home today, it was a piece of cake! 1st time towing & it's amazing how easy it was & I didn't run into the median once!

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a respiratory to start cleaning. It's been sitting outside for 6 years, infested with mouse droppings & who knows what else. Guess I'll find out.

Not a fan of the floor plan or much of the faux wood interior but I do like the metal cabinets. The whole interior needs fresh paint. If it's easier to paint the cabinets - that will be the route I take. Everything needs to be inspected, tanks, heater, stove, fridge, lines, etc. PO didn't use it at all.

Anyone need bench seats for a '70 Streamline? They need to be redone. Shipping might cost a small fortune but just thought put it out there because I don't want them but I'd let them go for a reasonable price.

Not going to post photos until there's something interesting to see. LOL Right now it's pretty gross.

One cool thing I found out...the rear street side window is a fire escape - the whole window opens out sideways so some can climb out.

If anyone needs info that is in the manual, let me know. It's rather thick so I can't photograph the whole thing but I'll post a photo of the manual binder when I can figure out my problem with sending photos from my phone to my email that I can't do lately for some strange reason. All the photos show cars pulling the trailer.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham