Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
'67 Streamline Empress

New to the forum and hoping to gather some information. My wife and I recently inherited a Streamline Empress from her Grandpa who passed. The trailer needs some love and is sitting up in the weeds in Young, AZ and hasn't moved in 10 years or so. I know it will need the basics to get it somewhat mobile you know tires, bearings, check electrical etc. I am handy mechanical so not too worried about it but the problem is that Young isn't exactly a big area and its about 30 miles of dirt road switchbacks before you hit an actual highway. So I have a couple questions so I can gather up all the needed parts because you can't exactly run to the local AutoZone.

For reference the Vin on the trailer is E864728

1. What tends to be the value of these? Outside is in fair-good shape no tears in any of the aluminum some dents from over the years. All tail light pieces seem to be there. All major interior pieces seem to be there although we would gut it and remodel with new wiring plumbing etc. I will get some pics up soon to help with this but looking for a general number. For instance if you saw one sitting in the field what would you pay for it. And if you saw one that was rolling and moveable but needed a remodel what is a fair number. Really trying to get a gauge if its worth it for us to sink the money into or is it better left to the hands of someone else.

2. What is the bolt pattern on the wheels? I measured 15" 5x5 but i want to be sure as I plan on picking up some wheels and tires here in the valley and just putting them on. I was going to run a 235/75/15 tire is this too tall or does a 205 trailer tire work just as well?

3. Part numbers for wheel bearings and seals? I am hoping I can repack the existing ones but you usually always need new seals to get the inner bearing out.

4. Brakes? Do they interchange with any passenger vehicles or trucks like a Chevelle, or pickup?

5. What size is the hitch ball on these? i forgot to grab a couple sizes when I left home I am guessing with a trailer that size its 2 5/16"

Thank you in advance
LuckyGraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
I am no expert but I would pay $2000-$5000 for a fixer upper vintage trailer.

As far as the cost of renovating. That really depends on what you do.
Assume you need new axles,tires,brakes.

Mine already had new running gear, which the previous owner said cost $3000.
He had it done by a shop mind you.

And I have spent about $3500 on stuff.
So it is gonna be different for everyone.
Depending on how much work it needs. If you need new appliances that can get costly fast.

I would think $5000 would get ya going if you didn't need new appliances.
And you do all the work yourself.

But like I said I am no expert!
jonplayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
As promised here are a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_8331.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	204060   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_8333.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	535.2 KB
ID:	204061  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3535.JPG (168.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3537.JPG (341.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
You are certainly more of an expert than I am. I'm worried that I'm opening Pandora's box but it could be a fun project as well. Bit of change of pace from building dirt cars.

From what I learned from family is that the water pipes froze and broke on it. So that tells me new floor and plumbing.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
It looks like a project alright. Those streaks are well built though. There are other members on here that have experience with them and may be able to offer you some advice! Hopefully one of them chimes in.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
That's a good looking trailer! You can find a lot of good information here: Silver Streak Manuals

I'm looking forward to some more pictures including the inside. Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS66.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	204089  
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
Thanks for the link. From what I have been able to research a Silver Streak and a Streamline are basically the same trailer with minor differences. Kind of like Chevy and GMC.

More pics will have to wait until I tackle the move. So come up with tires and wheels and pray i can just repack the bearings.

There is a possibility once she gets retrieved it may go up for sale if I can draw some interest on here.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I paid 5k for mine. I am the third owner and it is in mostly good original condition.

I have been running kumho lt 225/75R16 on my streamline. Not sure if I'd put the E load rated tires on it again, though I haven't had any problems. The PO had LT 245/75R16 on it.The rims are 16"x7(?)" 6 lug, 5.5" bolt pattern. Hope this helps.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I hope I didn't scare you off with my numbers. You could get camping for $500 maybe. It all depends on what you want. Please let us know how the rescue mission went!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
My 68 streamline had 2" hitch ball
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Dido, mine has a 2" coupler.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
I know I saw 5 lug axles on it now I am concerned if I was seeing things. Can I get away with running an LT tires and not trailer rated tires? If so thats great because they are a bit cheaper. Remember this is just to get it home and then it will sit for the remodel or sale. Jury is still out trying to buy a house in the mix of all of this...Joy!

Thanks for the info on the 2" ball I have a couple of those sitting around so we will be good
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Lt tires are preferred these days by most.
My empress has 800# tongue weight so make sure that your hitch components can handle the load. Wd hitch helps move and redistribute the weight.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , Arizona
I have a Chevy 2500 HD so not worried about enough truck to pull it or tongue weight. Rescue mission may happen the 1st weekend in March the wife and I have time off for NASCAR here in AZ but if we don't go out for that we will embark on the rescue.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Congrats! We have less than $5k invested in ours and used it this summer for a 2k mile trip. Tires and repacked bearings will get you home. We redid all our plumbing for about $200 in pex over a weekend. If your floor is solid then you can be using it pretty quickly.

If you search on my username I have a few posts on the tires we bought. We went with LT tires but I think our wheels are 6 x5.5 15". It is possible someone replaced your axles at some point.

I would get it. Streamlined are rare, even if you don't want it someone will.

Also don't gut it. The aluminum cabinets are a big part of the value. You can redo water and electrical without gutting.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #16
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I did a total redo on a '68 Empress last summer.

I didn't do a shell off, but I pretty much gutted her and tore out the rotted floor, put in new plumbing, converter, rebuilt the bed, etc.

I worked with a bare bones budget and have been full-timing since September.

I cannot say enough good things about Streamline.

My restoration thread is around here somewhere with lots of pics.....I haven't been on in forever as I got a nasty tick bite a few months ago and have been incredibly sick. However, that's a totally different issue.

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote