Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

1966 24' Tradewind
st. Petersburg , Florida
66 Tradewind shore power?

Just picked up my '66 Tradewind and know nothing about it! I plan on fixing her up to a beautiful camper. It appears that the shore power inlet Is a long Ac cord coming from the rear access panel. Just want to confirm this before plugging it in.

Thanks for any input!

Jc dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Congrats on the Tradewind. Lots of fellow tradewinders here. It likely is the power cord. Ours hung down and out in the back. It stuck out out of what appeared to be a plumbing pipe but was considered normal.

Fellow tradewinder David will chime in also. The Tradewinds have their own thread/subforum here so that's a great place to start perusing.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. Here I am chiming in as I enjoy the old Trade Wind model. I've had my 66 Trade Wind for almost two years and have learned quite a bit about it. You'll have to post some pictures of your Trade Wind "as found".

There is a lot to learn for sure. Airstream had this "one stop set up" where all the utilities were in the rear compartment. Your shore power cord is wound up back there somewhere. You have noted it is a 30 amp connection. You need 30 amps to run the air conditioner if that is your intent. Otherwise house current at 15 amps is adequate for lights and charging the battery. Running your AC on 15 amp circuit may cook the motor. Your shore power cord goes directly to the circuit breaker box located in the bath "medicine cabinet". You can verify that is indeed where it is connected. The intent was to drop the shore power cord through the 3" port in the floor, and then crawl under the trailer in the mud to fetch it and connect to shore power. Your city water hose was intended to do the same thing. Airstream has come a long ways since 66.

Take a look at the Airstream Knowledge Base toward the bottom of the Forums page. Click on Tradewind, and then click on the year range. There you will find more information on our models. I have read many of these threads and have learn a lot from others.

Here are a couple photos of my Trade Wind the day I brought it home. Mine is a twin bed, front gaucho layout. Others were double bed and maybe a front dinette instead of the gaucho. (Gaucho is a couch that slides out flat for sleeping. Airstream still uses them.)

Again, welcome and glad to meet you...

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Exterior Curb Front.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	239407   Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Gaucho.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	239408  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

1966 24' Tradewind
st. Petersburg , Florida
Thank you Hittenstiehl and David!
I plugged her in and everything is good. AC runs but no cold air, I will check coolant soon and try to get that working soon. I am in search of a rear compartment cover as it is missing, and refrigerator. Thinking of going with an Ac fridge with an inverter. I will search the Airstream knowledge base and gain as much fr it as I can.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Unless you put in really big batteries the fridge will flatten a regular one in no time.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
JC - On the AC, there should be a thermostat control on the right side of the front window. That may kick in your cool air.
Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
You're making progress checking out your Trade Wind. Again, when testing and running your AC, make sure your plugged into a 30 amp circuit. Maybe you rigged one at your place.

RV air conditioners are controlled by the rotary knob on the unit itself. My AC says "low fan", "high fan", "low cool" and then "high cool". The motor is a two speed affair. And on the AC itself, is a "temp setting" knob that you rotate for more cool, or less cool. Your unit may very well be low on refrigerant. And being in Florida, I certainly understand the need for a good AC. A replacement unit is close to $1000.

The thermostat on the wall of my 66 Trade Wind is for the furnace. If you still have the original furnace, DON'T TEST IT !. Some of these old 1966 furnaces are prone to accumulating gas and then blowing up! You might need a new $600 furnace for your trailer some day too. Don't run the furnace until you KNOW it is good.

It is common for rear compartment doors to go missing. They were only held on with one twist to lock handle. Unless we owners physically lock the door with the key, it will vibrate loose while towing and fall off. Airstream parts littering the highways! You might find a new one at Silver Trailer Supply or e-bay. And Vintage Trailer Supply sells the frame work so you could make your own door. I did buy a used door from Silver Trailer Supply. It came with the frame too.

My AC worked, but I purchased a new furnace, new water heater, new axles, new fridge, new stove, new bath and on and on. This week I have installed new screens for the windows. Be patient, it takes a while to bring these old Airstreams back to life.

David
Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #8

1966 24' Tradewind
st. Petersburg , Florida
Ordered rear hatch today along with some window pieces and weather stripping. Borrowing some scaffolding this weekend to safely get on top and check out the Coleman AC. Tomorrow I'll hook up the water supply and check for leaks. The axles have torsion bars so I'm sure they are upgraded? Won't mess with the furnace for a while.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Glad you found a rear compartment door. Maybe I should put a label on mine that says "if found, call this number". People tend to loose these rear compartment doors.

I took the cover off my dometic AC and clean it out. But I did nothing to the unit. Be careful where you put any weight on the roof. Note the "ribs" where the roof skin is rivet down. If you were to step or put significant body weight, you could push a pretty big dent in your roof. So be careful up there. Airstreams are strong and fragile, like eggs.

David
Old 05-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Here is my AC with the shroud off. I thought a photo might be helpful. I cleaned the dirt out with my shop vac and a narrow wand. Don't damage the fins in the "radiator", or heat exchanger.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1501 AC Cleaned.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	239550