Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
1978 Travelux President 31'

Hello all. I am the proud new owner of a 1978 travellux President 31 ft trailer...I know it is not an airstream but hopfully you all well be able to look at it as the Canadian Airstream? . It is completed gutted. The shell is in great shape. I Guess i should strart with how i aquired this wonderfull trailer.
I had just got back from our first trip out in our 18 ft TERRY TRAILER.
We went to a music festval. It was Canada Day long weekend. I was sitting on the couch when my wife told me to check out this trailer on Kijiji. As soon as I read the ad I had aluminitis. The ad said " rare travelux (like airstream) inside gutted...outside in great condition, new axles and tires etc...It was to late to call by the time I read the ad, but I called anyway...no answer. I could see from the comments that some guy was going to look at it that night earlier than when I had even seen the add. My heart sank . Then some one asked if it was still available and he replied yes and to call the phone number on the add in the morning. I was up till 1 am trying to reaserch it and found most of the info on this site i think. So i went to bed dreaming about polishing that thing up to a mirror finish.My alarm clock went off at 7 am and I sat and waited untill 7:45 and called and left messages at both numbers. Finally I got a call back saying i could come look at it. And well the rest is history. He had been on the phone for 4 hours the night before talking to people all over the province. Which is why had not got my call. There were people trying to buy it over the phone well I was looking at it. So we shook hands and the deal was made.
Well sorry bout the novel ^ it just seemed like it was meant to be.
So now here I am with this trailer and big project ahead of me. I am planning on taking about a year to complete...however it will probably be more like 2 yrs. We own a farm and free time is a luxury. We also have 3 young children. I figure we can get by in the Terry for at least 2 more years. Well I guess that is all for now I will try and post some pics.
jonplayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941[1].jpg
Views:	574
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	163486Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906[1].jpg
Views:	542
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	163487
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
That's a great looking trailer. Good luck with your restoration.
clbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up A nice one

I've seen a number of T-Lux in my day. That is one is special. Should be a great project.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
When you get a chance, love to see pics of the interior. She definitely looks like a keeper. My 76 Airstream Safari needed a completely new interior when I purchased. I think you've got a great plan. Spend the time, do it right and enjoy many years of use. Sure that's not an Airstream?
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I will try and get out there tonight and take some proper pics...I will also try and post a link of a different trailer but same model.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927[1].jpg
Views:	506
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	163499Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928[1].jpg
Views:	498
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	163500
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Very Cool !
I have never even heard of a travelux until now.
More pics please ; )
Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
well how lucky am I ... I had an old friend come over tonight who happens to be a body work guy ... he is going to help me strip and polish. And not five minutes later another friend whom I just met who happens to be an electrian...i helped him installl a slidiing glass door on to his new deck, and I am letting him use our property for his wedding in a couple of weeks. And he wants to help with the electrical on the trailer. I think things r going to come together. Just got to figure out what to start on first. I am kinda debating about droping the "belly pans"but they seem to be on there pretty good...hmmm I might have to start another thread on this matter.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Found another modal online with some interior pics....almost wish I could have seen how it looked before it was gutted....ah well.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966[1].JPG
Views:	409
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	163863

Name:	IMG_0968[1].JPG
Views:	407
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	163864

Name:	IMG_0954[1].jpg
Views:	467
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	163865
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Well I have really not done anything but look around in the trailer a drink beer... I have been doing alot of thinking though. I think I decided on my layout. Brought the spare parts home last night ( a newer camper that had been droped upside down). Just about fell of the truck again well we were trying to get it off. Tried out the air conditioner tonight ...it worksi think it has go heat in it too. Been doing alot of reading on here. I think I have a (rear sag issue still have not had any time to do much, but I am going to star a list at least and try and figure out what I got to get done before winter.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I'm jealous of your shop. Wish I had one to work in. It would make these 115* days more bearable.

I too am working on restoring a vintage trailer (30' Airstream Sovereign) and like you haven't done a whole lot but explore and drink beer but started some interior removal yesterday.

Keep us posted on your progress.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks it is a great shop...should be nice this winter if i ever get going on it.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I had the AC cranked all day in the T-Lux and I would go in and cool down once in a while. Just about finished the kids playhouse today. So one more project down and a little closer to getting started. Can hardly believe the quality of work some people have documented on this site. Been staying up late reading the fourms. Amazing stuff. I am very new to this stuff so it is going to be a long learning curve I am thinking.

ah well off to search the fourms
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Thumbs up A sensible approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonplayers View Post
Well I have really not done anything but look around in the trailer a drink beer... I have been doing alot of thinking though. I think I decided on my layout. Brought the spare parts home last night ( a newer camper that had been droped upside down). Just about fell of the truck again well we were trying to get it off. Tried out the air conditioner tonight ...it worksi think it has go heat in it too. Been doing alot of reading on here. I think I have a (rear sag issue still have not had any time to do much, but I am going to star a list at least and try and figure out what I got to get done before winter.
Jonplayers,
I am laughing out loud as I read your post. I, too, sat and did a lot of contemplating... with a frosty one, of course! I am interested to see your parts trailer. She's gonna look great when finished!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Ya I am sure there must of been lots of us just sitting out there drinking beer. lol I am gonna drag this project out a while I think. Here is a few things i might use out of the old camper. Might use the hinges and pistons off the cabinets. FREE is good.

Name:	IMG_1042[1].jpg
Views:	327
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	166200

Name:	IMG_1043[1].jpg
Views:	391
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	166201

Name:	IMG_1044[1].jpg
Views:	360
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	166202

Name:	IMG_1046[1].jpg
Views:	314
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	166203
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
In your 2nd picture, you have the double posts for mounting the table. I'm doing the same setup. I bought one, but felt 2 would be better. Now, waiting for the auction on eBay to end! Parts add up quickly. I hope you get a lot of good pickins'!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
In your 2nd picture, you have the double posts for mounting the table. I'm doing the same setup. I bought one, but felt 2 would be better. Now, waiting for the auction on eBay to end! Parts add up quickly. I hope you get a lot of good pickins'!
Let me know how it turns out. I would love to see some pics of yours. It was great to get that old camper. I can imagine that the parts really start to add up. I really do enjoy finding a use for somthing that would be thown out. But...mostly I am cheap
Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpod View Post
Jonplayers,
I am laughing out loud as I read your post. I, too, sat and did a lot of contemplating... with a frosty one, of course! I am interested to see your parts trailer. She's gonna look great when finished!

Surfpod just checked out your pics....awesome work thanks for taking so many pics looks great...Can't wait to see it it finished.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Well I finally started Got the bumper tore appart. The PO had decided to move the batery box from the front to the back. I think I have figured out the rear sag issue...it should not be to bad to fix. Frame is in good shape as is the plywood. I don't think I will be doing a frame off. The way the frame is attached at the back is not the best design. All in all I am happy with the frame... It is made of 3 5 inch box frames running the length of the trailer with 5 inch box frameing (basket weaved) every two feet.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
"let the stank out"

Ran an ozone generator in the t-lux for about 24 hrs. It has helped alot with the musty smell. I am having a hard time decideing on where to start...I can't decide on whether or not to treat the frame with por 15...or wait...I priced it out around $500 with the preperation products. I will drop the back bumper section of the belly pan this weekend and decide.