Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #1

1978 Silver Streak

I am a new owner of a 1978 Silver Streak. I have a couple of questions about restoration of the exterior. Are all aluminum skinned trailers able to be shined to a mirror finish such as some of these pictured on the site are? That is a project I will undertake in the future. For now, I would like to get some of the oxidation off. It has some small bumps on the skin which you can scrape off with your fingernail. Is that oxidation? What can I buy to clean up the aluminum? The rubbing compound from Walmart isn't enough. Hoping to find something I don't have to order off the internet. Thanks, Jef
jef2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

The finish on your Silver Streak is anodized. Even when new it had a sort of dull look to it. I suppose it could be polished, but you'd have to buff away a great deal of the thickness of the aluminum.

You might want to try some of the aluminum cleaners made for alloy wheels.

Silver Streaks seem to have been a very fine trailer. Good luck with it.

Mark
Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #3

There's nothing you can do. The water streaks stay in the anodized finish no matter what you do. I have 77 Supreme Saturn 32 ft. Concentrate on making sure the seams remained sealed and water tight. A couple of mine haven't and it's times for a parbond and vulkem treatment in spots.
mark_y48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There are buffered acids which can ('tis said) do some good. I've been experimenting with one, and will be working with another supplier (specializing in architectural anodized aluminum restoration) to see if progress can be made short of clearcoating (which CAYO, the Avion supplier is well-versed in).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I "washed" the trailer during the summer with a product I picked up at WEST MARINE:

ALUMINEX: Clean & Shine

MARYKATE ALUMINEX CLEAN AND SHINE -- 32 OZ. - Mary Kate

A product made for anodized aluminum. I simply followed directions and was careful around windows, etc. My wife said it made for more shine. It certainly cleaned some of the grime.

I am going through a couple more bottles this week. Last week I worked the roof over with a soft bristle RV brush and a stiffer hand brush to get the worst of the dirt off. It's pretty faded, but the sides are good.

Next on the list is to do the belly. First, like the roof, with the generic car wash/water softener I've used over the whole rig a couple of times; some good brushing, and then I'll do an application of C&S.

I would say that, for someone to first wash the trailer (ALL exposed surfaces) and to then use C&S twice over a period, one would want five bottles.

I have also been in contact with

EACO CHEM
| EaCo Chem Inc. Cleaning and Restoration Compound Manufacturer |

about anodized aluminum restoration products, and the rep called me yesterday to say that he'd be sending samples of:

SABRE
| EaCo Chem Inc. | Sabre |

A.R.T.
| EaCo Chem Inc. | Anodized Restoration Treatment |

CLEANING ALUMINUM
| EaCo Chem Inc. | Aluminum Cleaning Learning Center |
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thumbs up Wd 40 !

I'm a new Silver Streak owner and am so very happy to have found this site. I purchased 90% restored 1978 28 ft. Once I got it home the grime removed itself with a power wash. The interior is original, quite amazing although it has been painted white inside.

Like a lot of people here, I do want this thing to "shine" since it resides in front of our home and is also on "display" here. Being in Oregon, in the forest I am very environmentally conscious and I didn't want to use the acid washes and detergents previously mentioned. I saw somewhere on the site where a gentleman (who I am not worthy now) used WD-40 on the trailer and it looked amazing. Well, I made a go at it and I am now the proud owner of a shiny, shiny trailer ! Amazing, I'll get pictures of it up here. If you do the research on WD 40, you will have a laugh and a great time seeing the shimmer and shine, while protecting the aluminum !!

enjoy. pc.
Phlipvitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Anodizing is an electrical - chemical process that creates an extremely hard, durable skin on the surface of the aluminum. According to this web site it can be almost as hard as diamonds!

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

This protects the surface from wear and corrosion but it can get stained and discolored over time.

There is no practical way to remove it or to polish the surface. Some people wash and clean their anodized trailers, then wipe down with WD 40 or light oil. This restores the appearance temporarily.

I don't know why you couldn't clean and wax the surface like a car. There should be some special cleaning and polishing products for anodized aluminum. It is used on many cars, trucks and also on modern buildings. Someone must have figured out how to keep it clean and new looking. Perhaps a web search will turn up something.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Did a quick search for anodized aluminum cleaner and came up with several interesting sites. Here is one that sells products for restoring anodized aluminum finishes. No doubt there are others. The architectural sites seem the best, the others are for restoring cookware or the trim on boats which is not quite the same as a 30 ft trailer.
How to Refurbish and Protect Faded or Oxidized Anodized Aluminum.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WD-40 ain't exactly angels breath . . and it doesn't last very long. As to "environmentally conscious" I take this to mean you haven't read the MSDS on that product. I added the above links for those considering cleaning anodized aluminum . . . and one can make one's own determination as to equipment, procedure and safety. And the desire to learn if not already trained. The willingness to experiment, because the big money in architectural restoration is not going to be shared online.

It is safe to say that there is not a single item on us or around us that cleaning chemicals have not touched. They can be used safely and without undue harm.

I believe you'll find that there are those on this board who have a range and depth of experience in aspects of a technological society that one may not first associate with mere trailers. I know I am continually impressed.

SILVER STREAK themselves recommended a mixture of kerosene to shine it up. Olive oil by mixture has also been used. Professional chemicals are not the problem they appear: it's about doing things correctly, once, and to keep the surface maintained afterwards. Keeping the trailer under cover is the best long-term solution once cleaning has been accomplished.

Look forward to the pictures, inside and out. Welcome, and it is hoped you will post to the subforum what you've found, fixed or are in need of solving.

I'm aware of a few other SS owners up your way (OR & WA), many if not most seem to be here in Texas or Southern California otherwise.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Smile 1978 Silver Streak Supreme

I want to thank everyone posting here. I am a new owner of this 1978 Silver Streak Supreme. It's very closed to restoration to original, I've never owned a trailer before. But to find this blog it provides a whole new dimension to owning a vintage trailer ! thanks all, great to be subscribed here !

I do have a question, most of the Silver Streaks I've seen have the gold band of anodized aluminum, this only has the small gold bands on the exterior, I'm assuming this is normal, but the interior has been painted white.

I just love this thing.
Philip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS1978.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	106120  
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlipvitan View Post
I want to thank everyone posting here. I am a new owner of this 1978 Silver Streak Supreme. It's very closed to restoration to original, I've never owned a trailer before. But to find this blog it provides a whole new dimension to owning a vintage trailer ! thanks all, great to be subscribed here !

I do have a question, most of the Silver Streaks I've seen have the gold band of anodized aluminum, this only has the small gold bands on the exterior, I'm assuming this is normal, but the interior has been painted white.

I just love this thing.
Philip.

I also think your color scheme is normal. It may denote a specific model variation or something. By the way, that is the cleanest exterior I have seen on a SS of that age. Must have been stored inside! Truely an outstanding find! Congrats! Post up the interior when you can.
ETN550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I agree with ETN550. Nicest SS I've ever seen and it looks even better without all the gold.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Unhappy Unfortunately I have to sell my Silver Streak !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlipvitan View Post

I just love this thing.
Philip.
Please see the classified ads here pertaining to the sale. I am very disappointed but I am confident I will find the right party that will appreciate this piece ! I need to sell it by the end of the month latest ! All reasonable offers from this site will be considered !! Thanks Philip.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Saw the ad on Craigslist. Sorry it'll have to go. Any interior pics?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Interior pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Saw the ad on Craigslist. Sorry it'll have to go. Any interior pics?
I will provide you with whatever more images you would like if you are interested. Just respond to the ad and let me know if you are serious, lots of responses ! If you are serious I will provide you with whatever you like !
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
The band on the Silver Streaks is supposed to be GOLD. There was a time in the mid 70's that there was a problem with the gold anodizing and it faded to silver over the years. My 1979 is still gold and original.

The EverBrite product does help bring the finish back, but any stains from streaks are there ot stay for the most part.

My 1979 is posted in the classified section here.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Smile Just couldn't let it go !

Still got it. Still love it.
I may consider parting with it again. Just don't know, so for now. I have it.