Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
atlantic city , New Jersey
1974 Argosy W/Rear Door Remodeling--Where to start?

hey guys. I'm new. I'm 34, female, going to be solo traveling alone come October. I'm purchasing a 22 foot, completely adorable 1974 Argosy Trailer w/rear door, which i adore. I know I am jumping WAY in here, and Ive got my head under water, but i'm hoping you guys can help me learn to swim.

So my first question is... I'm hoping to do most of the work myself by attending "You Tube University" and buying some good tools.. I have a budget of 10K and I'm wondering if that will be enough or if I should expect to need more?

My next question is... when you guys work on restoring these, do you do it outside or in a warehouse of some kind?

Also.. I am totally confused about the weight of my vehicle. It says gross weight is 5800, and the axels are 2400 each... does that mean I need a towing vehicle that can tow 5800 lbs? Or do I go off the dry weight of 3360?

I am in the dark about hitching and towing and would love to be directed to a thread where I can learn more and understand how it works.

I have a kia now that I plan to trade in for something with torque and towing power, but would love to not have to get a flat bed truck. Could an SUV pull my trailer?

Lastly... are there any females out there solo RVing... and how hard is towing, unhitching, leveling etc. I mean, I know this sounds stupid probably, but am i going to hurt myself? Its a 5,800 lb vehicle and I don't even know what towing looks like.

Again, sorry for sounding asinine. Please go easy on me. lol.
girasoledonn is offline   Reply With Quote