Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

nederland , Texas
197? Streamline Imperial

I just found a Streamline Imperial in the yard of a recycle center. I've been looking for an old Airstream to make into a food trailer. I have helped with several conversions of box trailers, but this will be my first conversion of a travel trailer. I will post my progress as I go along. I may be biting off more than I can chew. In which case, I will offer the trailer for sale, but I can't just leave it there to be scraped. I will post more pics once I get it moved.

How do I go about moving it? The tires are shot. Can a tow truck move it? What do I need to watch out for. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I am out of my league here, but I only paid $700 for it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	155199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	155200  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0034(1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	155202  

Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Moving a whale!

First off, how long is the trailer and how many axles? Then, you may be able to tow it yourself without too much trouble. The first thing to get to is are the wheels buried in the ground from being parked there too long? If so, find the long length frame member and jack up one side at a time. Fill in the ruts and put small sheets of 1/2" plywood on the ground under the tire locations causing one tire at a time to be up on level ground. Before lowering trailer remove one wheel on each side and clean rims and replace tires. If you are only moving it a short distance (pending your conversion) I would see if I could determine the tire sizes from the bad tires and purchase some used but serviceable tires as a temporary stop gap. Once all tires are replaced pull the trailer to a hard surface and check/lube axle bearings. Then pull it to the area where you intend to perform your cleaning and gutting and don't move it again until you repair any issues with axles/brakes and put new tires on. You can get a temporary tow light kit from Harbor Freight or hardware store to have adequate lights to tow on the roads. Ed

AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome! From the Texas Golden Triangle . . all these trailers have wood floors. A Streamline has aluminum cabinetry (don't lose it) and spray-in insulation. Axle/tires/brakes are conventional leaf, etc. It probably weighs around 5500-6000, maybe less depending on what is missing. A fair number of owners still over around Houston, see Toms' Web Page

Code is your biggest problem. Adds tons of weight. We all of us see torn out "projects" for sale after frustration sets in. Don't do any tear out until everything in place.

$700 is scrap value is my understanding.

Streamlines are very, very well-built (better than A/S) so I'd take my time in cleaning and examining. Roof damage and leaks from that are the "problem" (as are plumbing breaks).

If you don't use it as a food trailer then you might make a few bucks on re-selling a cleaned up trailer (if labor is free).

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

nederland , Texas
Thanks for your advice. It has 2 axels, and I know it has only been there a month or so. They were getting ready to take a saws-all to it.
Is it possble to pick it up with a flatbed wrecker or is it too big? I was thinking it might be easier to have it hauled to my place where I can work on it at will. Will this trailer polish up like the Airstreams I have seen? The inside is pretty trashed though.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I would not try to pull it onto a flat bed hauler. Heavy is not as much an issue as is the length. Too long for the tilt bed of a hauler to pull it up onto. You most likely would drag the rear behind the axles severely trying to get it pulled up on the bed of the hauler. Much less trouble to tow it behind a truck than risk damage that would be hard to repair. (Think bent frame etc). Just how long is it? As far as polishing it the aluminum is anodized and would require a lot of work to strip that off without damage to the aluminum itself. It can be done however and once removed the underlying aluminum could be polished. Ed
AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote