Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
1968 Streamline 28' Empress

I made the decision to purchase a vintage trailer as a primary residence last summer. After doing much research I started actually looking at trailers in November.

I purchased my trailer Monday! She's such a beauty and I named her Nyx.

Sure, she needs some work and I'll learn more than I probably want about pulling up and replacing a subfloor, but I am just thrilled beyond words.

Julianne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3060733192.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	177765   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-540318340.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	177766  

Name:	image-4102176936.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	177767   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3121614838.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	177768  

Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
1989 35' Land Yacht
Oakdale , California
Before purchasing my airstream I owned a 1965 streamline duchess. They are wonderful trailers and in many ways at least a match for airstreams of the same year. Wish I would have kept it. The only drawback was its lack of adequate sleeping area. I have tried to buy it back from the people I sold it to! They won't do it.
Tmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Looks like the '66 or '67 my grandparents had. I much admire Streamline and think them the best of all the aluminum TTs in an overall sense of quality. Yours appears to be good original condition, and I think that the hardest thing to obtain in such an old TT.

Look forward to more.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Decided to upload more before pictures of my baby. I'm still in the "more elated than sensible" stage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2539274331.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	177822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1264617331.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	177823  

Name:	image-1400266222.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	177824   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-506879449.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	177826  

Name:	image-2451818951.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	177827   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2367726961.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	177828  

Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
sweet trailer!!!
you have a lot of fun ahead of you, the body seems to be in good shape.
Just wondering about that spartan in the pic next to the Streamline, is that also yours?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
No, the spartan belong to the gentleman who sold me the streamline. It is also for sale, or was as of Monday.

You can see it at Vintagecampers.com
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Sorry, should have said it was still available when the pictures were taken.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Very nice! Check the caulking on the rain gutter over the door, that might be causing your leak, and is easy to fix.

Looking forward to reading more about it!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I really appreciate all the supportive comments (they make me feel so much better about my purchase). I'm currently in New Orleans and she's in Indiana. We won't actually be together again until the beginning of April. For someone in the early stages of a love affair that just feels like an eternity!!

So, here's my first restoration question...

I've been doing research and found that streamline put alternative color stoves in their trailers in the late '60s. One of which was turquoise.

1. What's a reasonable way to track down a turquoise stove?

2. Once found, am I going to have logistical problems switching out stoves? I'm mostly thinking door width here since I can't actually run outside with my handy tape and measure it right now (but we all know how these things just sit in our minds and won't go away).

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First, be sure you want old appliances.

RV tech Lewster, IIRC, mentioned that liability insurance for techs working on propane appliances limits the age of same to 15-years. My "new" 1990 TT has a stove that appears nearly new (almost never used), but it won't be kept for just this reason. I find the concern worthy enough to simply replace all appliances (I'm a fulltimer) despite questions about quality (which may be resolved by the purchase of higher quality marine or Euro pieces).

Probably someone out there can "color" a new stove. That would be my approach.

Do your homework carefully, is all I'm trying to say.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I hadn't really thought about the liability issue of old stoves. I always figured the "guts" could be replaced/reworked. But, what do I know? I jumped into this pool head first - I'm learning how to swim as I go.

So, thank you for that info as it gives me something to thnk about.

In the vein of coloring appliances...

Just this evening, while I was doing research, I tripped across a company that refurbishes old (antique) porcelain covered stoves. I was wondering if I couldn't remove the pieces I want to change the color on and send them off... Then it wouldn't matter what age stove I ended up with I would still have the color I wanted in the end. More research!

Always multiple ways to get that square peg into that round hole - if you're willing to seek it out.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem with RV appliances versus home appliances is the shaking they receive in going down the road. Cracks in burners, etc. "Failures" that can be hard, if not near to impossible, to find ahead of time. For those that burn propane, this is scary.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
What a coincidence, I was visiting a friend today and in his backyard was a Travel Trailer that I thought was an Avion. I asked him if I could go look at it and when I got near it I could see it was a Streamline Empress. I had never heard of one, but this one is in original condition but needs some heavy tlc. Love the tail lights. I asked if he would be interested in selling it, but he didn't want to. I did a search and found this thread.

Click this bar to view the small image.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Cool. I have also just bought a Streamline Empress (29'), but it is a '67. Have you picked yours up yet? Mine is getting a once over by my trailer shop before I take it on the road. I think the door is about 25" inches wide. I'll be happy to measure the doorway when I get it back, if you need me too. BTW this site is very cool, Tom Patterson

Cheers from Memphis
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
OP, how is the work coming along?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
OP, how is the work coming along?
Odd you should ask....or, just your ESP in high gear?

I finally made it from New Orleans (where I was living) to Indianapolis (where I will be working on the trailer). HOWEVER, because it took me longer to get moved (blah, blah, boring details, blah) the truck I was to use to move my trailer from the dealer to my driveway is no longer available.

My truck won't be up from Texas (with my boyfriend inside of it) until the end of June.

I would REALLY appreciate some creative ideas on how to get me and my Empress together, here in Indianapolis, so the work can begin.

I've already spoken to the dealer and they will not provide any delivery service.

Julianne
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We won't discount a little ESP on the TT front. Love of subject tends all of us that way . . or maybe I was just wishing I had some fresh boudin and one thought lead to another.

As to dellivery. There are professionals in this business. RV transport. Fees are usually quoted zip code to zip code. I'd expect at least $1.50/mile. The owner is responsible for the TT condition (tires, lights, brakes, safety chains, breakaway switch, etc).

At the very least one wants brake/bearing service and a suspension inspection. Bushings, mounts, shock absorbers, etc, may be in need of repair/replacement. Forty years and then some of service is not to be discounted.

Our TT's may have been cheap to buy, but let's be reasonable in that from hereon things will have a bill attached to them.

Start with new tires and go from there. Wheels, lug studs . . . leave nothing unturned at this point. A problem on the road can be the end of things otherwise. YOKOHAMA RY-215 tires were a good choice for my previous TT and I would advise them over the usual ST trailer tires (this is assuming the TT is stationary most of the time; otherwise, an upgrade to size and capacity is warranted, IMO).

I would choose a truck/trailer repair business over an RV dealer. A shop that specializes in alignment for big equipment, yet who also work on RV's and smaller (think contractor trailers, ranch equipment, oil field, etc). There are likely several trailer dealers whom I would call for references on where they send their work.

A Streamline has a thoroughly conventional suspension and arrangement of brakes, etc. No surprises for all concerned.

Tags