Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Smile 1967 Streamline Empress, fresh from the field!!

Look what we just picked fresh out of the field!! We are very excited to bring this girl home. She has been sitting in this field since 2002 on blocks, hooked up to electric and sewer, being used only as a hunting cabin a few times a year. All in all shes in pretty good shape, nothing a good cleaning can't handle. I do plan to rip up the flooring (vinyl and carpet that was installed in the 90's I'm guessing) and other than a few minor repairs and replacements that will get us camping! All of the original appliances are in good working condition. Furnace does have a known issue, it blows the pilot light out when kicking back on after initially heating up to set temp. Could be an easy fix? The exterior lights were not in working condition, which we were able to determine was happening at the box where the umbilical joins in, the seller has agreed to fix this and get her out of the field for us (which was wayyyy to wet to drive on when we were there...) Hoping to pick up sometime next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5001.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	200730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5003.JPG
Views:	683
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	200731  

alisharae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Nice find. Keep us updated on your efforts and progress.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks pretty cool... Glad to see another classic removed from the mud and on the road to recovery.. Hope previous owner parks a large ugly "white box" on the site and it will probably disintegrate within a couple years...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Looks good. Keep us posted on your progress.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Contests! Looking forward to hearing more.

The furnace might be fixable, if not a modern Suburban NT30 can replace it. That go for about $600.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
My husband wants to replace the original split wheels, I would like to keep it looking as original as possible (but safe and legal!) Any suggestions or experiences with this??
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Split rims are illegal and dangerous. They did not call them the widow makers for nothing.

Most shops will not even work on them. Replace them as soon as you can. You won't regret it.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisharae View Post
My husband wants to replace the original split wheels, I would like to keep it looking as original as possible (but safe and legal!) Any suggestions or experiences with this??
It's not safe and it's not legal.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Just get some modern steel wheels and baby moon hubcaps. They will be safe and look original. Just dont buy wagon wheels, ugh.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Thumbs up

Thanks Jewel, thats the answer I was looking for!!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Anyone have pics where they have replaced split wheels with modern wheels but used the baby moon hub caps to keep it looking original??
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Historic Restorations vs. Period Renovations

Opinions are NOT like A******* - most of us have more than ONE opinion.

And I hope this opinion is more factual than just being a personal prejudice. A couple of years ago at a county fair in Ohio a steam tractor exploded killing two people and injuring several others. The owner was known as a safety nut who kept his equipment pristine and always ran his rig far below the maximum safe pressure. Nonetheless something went horribly wrong with a technology that was a key to the industrial revolution, but did have serious known risks.

Point?

Some things go obsolete because they are replaced by SAFER alternatives.

Sometimes "pragmatic" trumps "pure". The risks of using a 40 year old water heater or split rims FAR outweigh any need for historical accuracy. If you aren't planning to put your unit in some museum you should very seriously consider SAFETY as well as original design. I've seen people nestle a modern refrigerator behind a 1950's refrigerator door or even an old icebox door. Ditto on using a modern water heater behind the old door (and having an electronic ignition instead of having to light a pilot in your robe.)

If you want your unit to look like it did in the middle of the last century - use vintage patterned fabric, Marmoleum and "cracked ice" Formica. Get old style cabinet latches and hinges. But don't be a slave to anything that could put you in the hospital or the morgue. We want MORE RV enthusiasts, not less.

Be careful out there, Paula
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Split rims are not illegal and are still being used on large trucks. However it is highly recommended to replace them in the interest of safety, and to save you a lot of hassles at tire replacement time.

If you are mad to have the original wheel look, there are wheel companies that will cut the rim off your wheel and weld a new rim onto the old center. If you do this you can't tell it isn't the original wheel by appearance.

You might look up Stockton Wheel (to convert your wheels) or Wheel Vintique (for brand new, old style wheels)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
It's not a Streamline, but here is our Shasta with brand new wheels, tires and baby moons. The wheels were the black steelies I mentioned. Given more time I would have painted them white or blue, but I did like the simple black and chrome look.

Hope that helps!
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 Shasta Compact-4.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	203562  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Many tire shops will not service split rims due to the hazard potential. There is a balance between "period correct" and "updated" when it comes to many things but safety isn't negotiable IMO and I would not hesitate to ditch the split rims for something modern. Wheels can be painted in retro colors and you will likely never be questioned about the change.

The important thing to remember is that the stored energy potential in a tire inflated to any pressure above atmospheric is tremendous.

Here is a video showing examples of rim/tire failure.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Just to clear things up, I was never for keeping the original split wheels...I just wanted to know what options were out there to make them look as original as possible, but safe and legal. Thanks Ganaraska and JeweloJalopy, these options help a ton!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Another question since someone brought it up....Where the heck can you find vintage formica sheet laminate?? I am a kitchen designer by day and NONE of my suppliers carry anything vintage looking. Ive tried Pionite, Nevamar, WilsonArt and Formica...nothing. Formica had a "classics" collection but it was discontinued a few years back. I found one website that had about 6 different boomerang colors that was $600+ for a 4'x8' sheet. Not gonna happen. I need a new furnace first! lol. I found one laminate with a linen weave look that I think I could make look vintage. We shall see. Anyways, if anyone has interior pics of what they did for countertops I would love to see them!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Check out this website....great laminate choices.

Abstract Laminates - Lab Designs Laminate

Also, visit retro http://www.renovation.com This is a great resource for vintage furnishings and reproductions.

We bought charcoal boomerang laminate from a local counter top company. It is still available, but only in charcoal. It was $120 for a 4 x 12' piece. If you look at my blog (in my signature below) you will see it in our 67 globetrotter. We also used the boomerang on the shower wall.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Just to clear things up, I was never for keeping the original split wheels...I just wanted to know what options were out there to make them look as original as possible, but safe and legal. Thanks Ganaraska and JeweloJalopy, these options help a ton!
I found my super-secret-only-share-with-my-bestest-trailer-friends hubcap bookmark.

Southwest Wheel Company - Center Caps

Nice, cheap baby moons. That's what's on the Shasta.

As for counters we're lucky that the original gold flake is still in ours, albeit with one stain. It does seem hard to find vintage patterns. Maybe there's another business idea in there...
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Thumbs up

I am not familiar with Lab laminates. Looks like they have some good yellows that might work!
And thanks for sharing your super-secret-baby-moon-hubcap-source! They are super cheap!

Tags