Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
These are pretty close to baby moons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4121336366.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	203702  
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stained Formica - or other laminates. Oxy-kem will sometimes remove stains that chlorine bleach can't touch. If it's a rust stain, try Zud or Barkeeper's Friend. Both are abrasive scouring powder, so don't scrub, just make a paste, lay it on and check it about every two or three minutes, and wipe off carefully.

Old laminates will stain because they've been washed or scrubbed often enough to be porous. Wax them with Pledge after deep cleaning - it's also good on hard water marks.

Paula
Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
Update! Spring has sprung and after a never ending attic turned craft room project, it's finally time to get the Empress ready for camping! I ripped out the early 90s hunter green carpet and green/white checkerboard vinyl this passed weekend. Still working in getting a few, heavily adhered pcs up...but soon will come the new flooring. We have picked out a distressed beech looking LVT for the living area and hallway (which is also the sleeping area) for the kitchen and bath areas in going with a more traditional, grey/beige/white VCT tile. We decided to try out the sleeper sofa (not an original to the camper) before taking it out to remove the flooring. Lo and behold, it was too long to even fold out completely before hitting the cabinets! Soo...we have a new sleeper sofa as well. And I may have went overboard at ikea buying decor for the silver twinky. But it's going to look soooo awesome. During the flooring demo I also removed the yellowed/cracked/can barely open shower door and we have decided not to put a new shower door up, we will stick with a curtain for now. I just can imagine wrestling around that darn door to bathe kids/pets...I'll keep you posted on the progress!!! Oh one last thing, we rolled out the awning for the first time. As expected, the original yellow and white striped awning is beyond repair. Any resources for a replacement that will look as original as possible?
alisharae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Stained Formica - or other laminates. Oxy-kem will sometimes remove stains that chlorine bleach can't touch. If it's a rust stain, try Zud or Barkeeper's Friend. Both are abrasive scouring powder, so don't scrub, just make a paste, lay it on and check it about every two or three minutes, and wipe off carefully.

Old laminates will stain because they've been washed or scrubbed often enough to be porous. Wax them with Pledge after deep cleaning - it's also good on hard water marks.

Paula
great tips!

I also used Gel-Gloss on our original gold-flecked counters, and man do they pop now. The I thought the trailer was leaking when I went back in, the counter back in the bathroom looked wet it was so glossy! And it made the gold flecks really pop.

I do have a stain on the kitchen counter, I will try the pastes.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #25
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisharae View Post
Oh one last thing, we rolled out the awning for the first time. As expected, the original yellow and white striped awning is beyond repair. Any resources for a replacement that will look as original as possible?
I'm not sure what your awning fabric looks like, but the Zip Dee awning site has vintage-pattern Sunbrella fabric. One of them is a yellow/white stripe.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/media//DI...2affffd502.pdf
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
So the time has come and we are considering stripping the anodized exterior and polishing....to strip or not to strip?? Found a stripper on vintage travel supply with great reviews. We have read a ton of the posts to the forum regarding this. How much upkeep is needed after stripping and polishing (other than clear coat)???
Old 05-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A late welcome!! My granparents had that TT. And the pics show a pretty decent skin.

Stripping anodized more trouble than it is worth. Had a neighbor strip a late '60's Duke and. well, the closer you get, the worse it looks. The initial expense will be high as will the annual maintenance costs. Time, effort and money, and for what?

We have at least one thread on here in re cleaning anodized. To the best of my knowledge no one has yet tried the less expensive route of using EaCo Chemicals product RESTORE as done with a professional operating a "pressure washer" (don't think that architectural building restoration of anodized uses high pressure, think of the term as more as a reference to a type of cleaning. Much, if not most, is low-pressure and high volume where knowledge of chemical application rates and times is critical, experience-savvy for success).

On the AVION Yahoo forum there are those who have, as with the factory option, had a clearcoat appled after surface prep.

BobThompson has a thread on here in a gorgeous DIY paint job on his 25' A/S.

I'd do any of the above on a post-1963 Avion or Silver Streak other than strip & polish. It's over-rated and highly maintenance intensive.

You'll have your hands full with plenty of other jobs. Leave this one alone for the next five years or so.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Willow Wood , Ohio
We just received Twinky back from the shop, they replaced the axles/wheels/tires, new hitch, new wiring for exterior lights, new (original looking) exterior lights, pulled a big dent out of the bumper and painted it. She looks pretty awesome! Now we are only a week away from our 1st trip, we have discovered the frig has kicked the bucket...not even going to try to fix that issue before camping, a cooler will suit us fine for now. We are trying to get the bathroom put back together now, when we took out the toilet to remove the old flooring we discovered that the tank was never dumped....resulting in a solid rock hard brick of human waste that we have been trying to flush....no fun....no fun at all....and while we are working in the bathroom i decided to strip the many layers of paint, latex paint that is bubbling up and peeling off....but now i have a partially stripped sticky mess and i have no idea how to fix it!!! Help! I guess im just going to try to get to the bare aluminum and leave it like that in the bathroom.....
Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
For this first trip, just pack a porta-potty and call it good enough!

Our '77 Safari has a black tank the size of a gallon jug, so we just use park facilities during daylight hours and use the in-house toilet only after dark to stretch our facilities. Works pretty well.

Welcome to the Forum! Hope you enjoy your new baby!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags