Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Bloomington , Illinois
1965 Ambassador 28' restoration project

I recently purchased a 1965 Ambassador. I'm looking forward to restoring it with my son who works for the National Park Service. He's always wanted to restore one and he finally talked me into it

I have been learning how to navigate the Forums and am curious. I don't seem to see much about the Ambassadors. Is this a good thing (more rare) or a bad thing (no one want's one)?

It has the usual challenges: floor rot in the bathroom and by the door, belly skin is in pretty rough shape, windows need redone as well as the roof vents, etc.

If anyone has any pictures of their's. I would love to see them!

Looking forward to chatting

Jane
New Airstream Fan

janetuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1965 Ambassador 28" restoration project

Greetings Jane!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetuck View Post
I have been learning how to navigate the Forums and am curious. I don't seem to see much about the Ambassadors. Is this a good thing (more rare) or a bad thing (no one want's one)?
The 1965 Airstream was a one-year only body style . . . it was a transition year between the coaches with Hehr windows, jalousie windows beside the door, and door-within-a-door . . . and the 1966-1968 coaches that featured Corning Tempered Glass (curved windows) with separate entry and screen doors. The 1965 models had some of the older features combined with some of the newer features. The 1965 still had Hehr windows (if my memory is correct), but the door-within-a-door and the jalousie windows beside the door were no longer.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the 1965 Airstreams, there just aren't as many of them and it was a one-year design so there isn't a huge possibility of confusing it with an Airstream a year newer or older. It may be a little more difficult to determine what was factory and what was added as it has been reported that there were more running changes in the 1965s than was typical with the earlier Airstreams or those that would follow. Other than the different physical features, I have found the 1965 Airstreams to be equal or superior in quality to my 1964.

Quote:
It has the usual challenges: floor rot in the bathroom and by the door, belly skin is in pretty rough shape, windows need redone as well as the roof vents, etc.
As you approach your refurbishment/restoration, you are likely to find yourself looking to coaches both a year older and a year newer for guidance on some features. You are likely to find that you have remnants of PlastiCoat on the exterior panels as the process was a standard feature by 1965. I don't believe that you will find it difficult to find the necessary seals and gaskets as many of them will be similar to what was utilized in 1964 with most others being similar to those utilized in 1966-1968.

To see photos of Airstreams similar to your, you can follow this link to an archive of photos illustrating Airstreams in as-found condition, well-preserved originals as well as fully restored coaches.

In an model year, the Ambassador tended to be less popular than the Overlander or Sovereign. I suspect that it resided in a niche that attracted those for whom the Overlander was just a bit too small or the Sovereign was just a bit too big.

Good luck with your Ambassador!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
I recently purchased a 1965 Ambassador. I'm looking forward to restoring it with my son who works for the National Park Service. He's always wanted to restore one and he finally talked me into it

If anyone has any pictures of their's. I would love to see them!

Looking forward to chatting

Jane
New Airstream Fan
Welcome to the forum. It's not a bad thing about the Ambassadors that you see fewer threads about them. There just don't seem to be as many of them around as some of the smaller trailers (or some of the larger later model trailer's like the Soverigns). I've seen a few early Ambassador restoration threads here and there. They can be pretty sweet looking trailers. Check out the following threads -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f118...dux-48044.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...ter-73780.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tes-40981.html

Norm
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Hi Jane! Welcome to the forums! It's an Airstream! Kevin gives the best info about vintage trailers. Expect the best, prepare for the worst. You won't be disappointed or unprepared that way!

Oh and we need pictures...lots of pictures!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Bloomington , Illinois
Thanks so much everyone! I am really excited about the whole process. I appreciate all your comments. Pictures of "before" to follow soon
janetuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
gutting the 65

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone! I am really excited about the whole process. I appreciate all your comments. Pictures of "before" to follow soon
Jane,I have tried to document my 65 in the thread Gutting the 65.The pics and process should help you.I was on a film project for 1.5 years and put the resto on hold.I started up again 2 mo. ago and am putting it all back together.I will be posting new pics soon.Another thread (although it is a 64) is Ambie 64.He did a great job and I took many cues from him.
Let me know if I can help.Steve

bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags