Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
1959 Avion

It's an Explorer 20'. We found it on craigslist, a small craigslist in Western Illinois, and the trailer was in Missouri right in the corner of Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. We were communicating with the owners grandson about it during the week, and he held off the other interested folks until we could make the trip on a Saturday. We went to check it out, pretty sure we were interested in bringing it home, unless it turned out to be a bomb or need a total floor replacement. It came home with us. According to PO they were the second owners, they bought it from the original owner who was in his 90s.

We did lots of research prior to going up to see it, we were able to take a serial number sheet with us to verify if it was a '59. Yep! Serial number 1029.

Exterior is pretty great, there was a dent in the back corner curbside which PO pulled out pretty well. There's also a bit of a line where the door catches open, looks like it was bumped hard on there a time or two or three. The back window is missing, it's a Hehr 1009 1934. Don't know if that will be easy to find, or if it will need to be recreated, we've checked with a few places already (Colaws and Vintage Campers). PO has made a wood window with plexiglass that works for now, but wont for the long term.

It is camping ready... as long as you are taking it to a campground with full hook ups. PO transitioned it to electric - fridge, microwave, hot plate and mega roof air conditioner.

We plan on using the trailer as is this year. Number one priority - get it sealed up. Then, we want to add the LP back and get the roof top air conditioner down. Mike wants to polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010516.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	133820   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010520.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	133821  

Name:	P1010517.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	133822   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010499.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	133823  

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
The inside is just as cute as can be. Seventeen and a half feet from back window to the front window!

The cabinets are original birch, it retains the original heater and the light fixtures, and the sink covers are still there. It even still has the two original folding chairs. Also, the screen door slides behind the wardrobes when not in use – it was one of the items that sealed the deal, it’s great.

Missing however are the original fridge, stove, gas lamp, front sofa/bed/goucho and folding table. We will put a period stove in it, but we’ll put in an updated fridge. Not sure about the sleeping arrangements, the current sofa is a “jack-knife” that’s only big enough for a small child. Also for some reason the PO took out the fold up table, so we’ll have to find some photos to see if we can recreate that.

Inside the cupboards and wardrobe the original zolatone is visible. We’ll check the forums to see if the latex can be removed, but that’s a project for winter. Also, the PO put in new carpet squares with industrial super glue of some sorts… The original tiles can be seen in the closets and under the cabinets. Not sure what we may do about that, but for now, we don’t have to do anything, which is great!

PO also rigged up a tank under the new toilet he installed. That is also a project for winter - get grey and black tanks on board. Original freshwater tank, newer pump and water heater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010533.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	133824   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010537.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	133825  

Name:	P1010531.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	133826   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010501.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	133827  

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Welcome

Nice looking Avion! It should polish nicely! Try CherokeeRv Salvage in Colorado. They have an entire warehouse of windows and doors. Get good pictures of your frame and hardware that are missing from the other like sized windows. The folks a Cherokee were very helpful to me several years ago when I was searching for hardware for my windows. There is also a RV Salvage in Washington State perhaps someone will chime in with the name... Happy Trails, Ed

P.S. I love that screen door and guard!!!
AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1956 16' Bubble
1947 22' Liner
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Finally! A Craigslist success story!

You have done it! That baby is great. Try this site...I have used it for years ...it's much better than any of the Airstream sites I have found. Note the library especially.
I really like your new treasure......now, hit the road.
Avion Travelcade Club former Member Travel Fifth Wheel Fleetwood Trailer RV aluminum Cayo Camper Trailer For Sale Wanted Repairs Winona Lake Indiana Unit
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1994 34' Excella
newark , New York
I love my 1968 Avion Travelcader ! Construction is great ! ( hate to say it here, but floor system seems better, at least in the '68 ) I have a few items that I took out of my Avion, Front couch bed, front side table. No windows I'm afraid. We are in NY in case you have an interest in the front bed.... would be a high cost to ship, but Upstate NY is wonderful for a trip, upholstery intact, but definately need to be re-covered. PM me for photos
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
That's a very nice looking Avion. You don't see many Avions that old. Great find.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Thanks!

Thanks for all your kind words, suggested parts places, links and offers. We're very excited. It's a heat wave in St. Louis right now so that air conditioner is pretty handy while trying to do a few things inside .

We hope to do a trial run before too long. Already got the plates and title from the DMV, so we just need to make the time!

Tina
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Great find!!! Love the all the older trailers with the armadillo corners. AS should do a retro one like that!!!

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1969 31' Sovereign
at the Route 66 , Northern AZ
looks great

very nice condition of the skin ... will look sharp polished

but your right; the rooftop AC has to go.
i personally dont like them at all , not just for the ugly look, its also a lot of weight way up there.
combine that with the usual narrow axles on a light vintage trailer and things can get unstable (maybe i just drive too fast )

i know i should ignore the voices in my head .... but some of them have really cool ideas
Got Briards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
On the glued down carpet squares. I restored a tile floor that had that treatment. It required peeling up the carpet, scraping off the glue with a razor blade scraper then cleaning with OOOO steel wool and varsol before refinishing. It would be easier to replace the tile unless you really want to keep it original.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
When the PO tells you, "no it doesn't leak." NEVER believe them .

We knew there was a soft spot in the floor up front right under the water fill/pump. Easy spot to fix and assumption as to why it's soft. The rest of the floor seems in pretty darn good shape, we've peeked in a few access panels from the bottom of the trailer and all looks as it should. Every thing is pretty rock hard when stabbed with the flat-head screwdriver...

However, it does leak, and not just a little. So this may reinforce the PO quote "it's been stored inside it's entire life - when it wasn't on a trip."

So, since our local "leak detective" has moved to Texas for the summer, we're just moving ahead with resealing ALL the seams. I am putting in a lot o'time with the tooth brush and acetone. It's amazing, it just melts the old seam sealer away. I've found using cotton pads instead of a t-shirt does better, gloves seem to need frequent replacing. Mike is doing the "initial" cut for the polishing over the seam areas, and he got a bit carried away today and did the curbside behind the door. I think he's also ready for a break from it for a while - that polisher is heavy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010640.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	134451  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Vents and more vents...

Interestingly, there are two vents over the bathroom. There is one small patch in the ceiling where the PO took out the old "vent" and installed his own "homemade" black tank on top of the floor, which is NOT vented. The commode sits on top of this. Hmm... Perhaps not original, but they are "installed" with clutch head screws. Not sure why there are two.

Tina
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010643.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	134452   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010644.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	134453  

Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Are you sure the black tank is not vented ? It would not empty easily without one. It could also tap into the 3" line just after the tank .
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Are you sure the black tank is not vented ? It would not empty easily without one. It could also tap into the 3" line just after the tank .
99% sure. Originally the trailer did not have tanks. The blank tank is not a "real" black tank. It was a blue tank tote the PO modified and placed in the back corner with a sheet of plywood on it, then put the new Thetford on top of that. Yes, it needs replaced soon, but in scouting around it, there just looks to be the discharge underneath. PO said it was emptied right before we picked it up. However, not having a vent may explain this... when I was putting fresh water down it just to keep something in there (I was afraid... it's our first black tank!) when the tab is pulled to flush a big whopping splash comes up from the disappearing hole. EEK!!!

So, that has brought me to the conclusion it is not vented. I will check under the trailer this week and check whats under the aluminum around the discharge. There is a threaded drain pipe next to it that I'm "assuming" it is the gray drain. That is what the PO advised it was. I'll take some photos and post them tonight after work.

Tags
1959, 20', avion, explorer