Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
1954 Elcar

Hello. I'm new here and I'm not sure I am posting this correctly, so please let me know.
I purchased a 1954 Elcar Travel Trailer 35 ft. I have not been able to find much information on it. I need to have it towed to Houston from Arizona and need to get new tires. Anyone have suggestions on where to get tires for this trailer?
mcdonaldse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Welcome

IT is easy to get tires, to get the right tires is another issue. I suggest that you start by doing some research here on the Forum. Try using the search function, search for Goodyear, Marathon, Michelin. After you have spent several hours reading the threads you will be a position to make a informed decision as to what works for you. Tires are one of the most important elements on a trailer and the wrong type can get stranded on the road or injured.

BTW I normally don't tell uses to use search but tires are a very important issue.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
I don't know the weight of this trailer or how to estimate the weight. Does anyone know where I could get this info?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldse View Post
I don't know the weight of this trailer or how to estimate the weight. Does anyone know where I could get this info?
There isn't likely to be any factory published specs unless they reside in the trailer or another ElCar owner has written or scanned something to the internet.

Is the trailer gutted or full of oak or other heavy wood furniture? Most people would recommend taking it to a commercial vehicle weigh station off the highway to know its weight.

Generally speaking older Airstreams are lighter per foot than their newer versions but I can't say exactly how that would relate to your TT. At 35' I can imagine you'd want no less than a load range D or stronger tire.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Is your name Shannon, and is the trailer?

Transport My Vintage Aluminum Travel Trailer Elcar 35 to Rosenberg

A good starting point would be to get the information from the old tires, take some pictures. Are they split rims?

Nice trailer how about some interior shots?

I have a suggestion, contact a local tire shop and have them go look at the tires and rims. You may very well need to change out the rims also, depending on future use you may want steel or alloy rims, the tire shop can provide the lug bolt pattern the offset, and the load rating for the rims and tires all things you need to know. That is a lot of trailer you have there.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
Yup, that's the one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	181395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	181396  

Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Appear to be split rims, they can kill you. They have to go.

Do a search in Google on dangers of split rims. I have seen it happen.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
The big problem is that I am in Houston and the trailer is in AZ. I just have photos that were sent to me.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
I just need to get it to Texas, I won't be taking it anywhere after that. I was going to make it a guesthouse on our land. But I know it will have to survive a long trip to get here.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
You can't tow on those tires, and a tire shop may not want to work the split rims. I have to think the brakes don't work either. It may have to go on a lowboy. That is a lot of liability going down the road, be safe.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
You can't tow on those tires, and a tire shop may not want to work the split rims. I have to think the brakes don't work either. It may have to go on a lowboy. That is a lot of liability going down the road, be safe.
Agree, those tires won't go the distance.

If you're not sure what Jim means by"lowboy" he's saying that it might be wisest to have your trailer towed to you, sitting stationary on top of a trailer, pulled by a large truck.

Also might make sense to have it done that way if you have no intention of towing this trailer anywhere, so making an investment in putting new wheels and tires wouldn't be the best use of your money.

I'm not sure what companies can tow this safely for you, hopefully someone with some experience will chime in.

Good luck!
-Marcus

P.S. Very cool trailer, hope you'll post some more pictures when you have it.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Rosenberg , Texas
Wow, this is a lot more complicated than I hoped. Thank you all for your input, I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Marcus, has hit on the head. The problem you have is for the trailer to be towed a few miles it has to be in same same shape safety wise to tow it thousands of miles. Have you considered insurance, registration, license, your are putting a vehicle on the public highway with all the responsibilities and liabilities that come with that decision. I would get a quote from uship to have it loaded on a lowboy and moved.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldse View Post
Hello. I'm new here and I'm not sure I am posting this correctly, so please let me know.
I purchased a 1954 Elcar Travel Trailer 35 ft. I have not been able to find much information on it. I need to have it towed to Houston from Arizona and need to get new tires. Anyone have suggestions on where to get tires for this trailer?
Good luck with your project! Looks like a cool trailer. I'd enjoy any interior pics, if you have them.

Before traveling that kind of distance, there are several things that will require attention:
- Wheel bearings repacked and new seals installed
- Electric brakes replaced
- Tires replaced, using new rims if necessary.
- Lights and electric brake wiring checked and repaired as necessary

It sounds like a lot but is not an insurmountable job.

If the tires hold air, I would suggest that the trailer can be towed, cautiously and at low speeds, to the nearest location where repairs can be made.

You can check etrailer.com for brake prices. They also have some tires and rims.

Due to the size of the trailer I would assume you will end up running 225/75-16 E tires. You can use that as a starting point for discussions until you find out for sure.

It is possible that the rims can be reused. It depends on their condition and also on finding a shop willing to work with them.

I would suggest you find someone in Arizona you can trust or perhaps travel there yourself to get the tire and axle work done. Even with the airfare and time off work chances are you'll be money ahead over having it hauled on a flatbed.

Tags