Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #1

Napa , California
1952 Spartanette for the new girl...

Hi guys! I'm new here so I'm introducing myself (Kelly) and my trailer (Blanche). She's still kind of jacked up. I cleaned the living daylights out of the interior and laid new floors. Still need to gussy up the vents, find new knobs for the stove, replace the water heater and heater, replace a couple of cracked windows, replace some light fixtures, replace a couple of torn screens, figure out why some of the outlets don't work, etc. But I'm working on her when I can! I live in Napa, CA and use her as my guest house!

We named her Blanche Babcock after we had a party and our 50 or so guests chose/voted on the name. Everyone loves her and loves to stay in there, despite her shortcomings!

I'll be pestering you guys for info...notably I need to find a decal or stencil to re-do the logo on the outside after I get her polished. I also need to find out where to get her exterior polished in my neck of the woods (we're redoing the house so i don't have time!) Also wondering what to use to shine up some of the wood inside that didn't come up too well. I've been a big fan of these trailers for years and I was happy to find her. I'll post pix soon (she's exactly like the one in the 35' spartanette thread listed earlier).

I hope to be a good member of this community...any tips on how to do that would be appreciated! And I hope to meet as many of you as I can!

Thanks, Kelly
Blanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Welcome can't wait to see some pictures.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
There is a great Spartan for sale on Ebay right now. I have seen it in person and it's in really great shape. Check it out. eBay Motors: 1948 Spartanette RARER THAN AIRSTREAM!!!! (item 250399948061 end time Apr-08-09 10:58:56 PDT)
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! Very glad to have you aboard! Do you plan on traveling with Blanche, or just have her as a guest house? We hope to see you on the road.... Please post pics, even if not all "pretty".... we love the before/during/after pics! Be sure and ask all questions, no matter how silly they may seem. Lots of advice to be found here...

Looking forward to seeing you and Blanche!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
About the logo... there should be lots of sign shops nearby. They can laser cut new lettering in any size shape or color using a computer. They need a good pattern to go by. So be sure you take a good photo of the old logo before you polish or remove it.

Call up some companies and find out exactly what they need.

If you want a quick shine get some Liquid Gold polish from the hardware store. It will make the wood look new with just a wipe. But it goes away after 2 or 3 weeks.

For a permanent job you need to revarnish with spar varnish or the equivalent. DO NOT use urethane unless you want your trailer to look like it was made in Taiwan of imitation plastic and sold by Kmart.

There is an excellent thread on refinishing. Let me go see if I can find it.

I'm back. Here are 2 to start you off. First, what to do for a quick polish
job.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ish-49355.html

Next, if you are committed to a complete refinishing experience:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...wood-48034.htm