Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
I hadn't seen that Westwood but I've been looking at similar trailers ~ these for example, here's another Westwood too - exactly the era & style I'm doing. > Portfolio

It won't be exactly original but a better functioning, updated version with the same features, wood, shelves and the overall basic look & feel.

I love the Vagabonds too. some of these didn't have full baths, just toilets.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Is this the color?

I pass by this truck everyday and think about your project. How's it coming?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1600x1143).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	153973  
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD View Post
I pass by this truck everyday and think about your project. How's it coming?
Thanks for asking Jody! I'm so anxious to get started but I need to find a place to work on it so that is where I am right now. Posting ads, visiting neighbors & meeting people in the community asking to rent a space or a garage. A week seems like a month & my trailer is pretty much all I think about.

That truck is very close to the restore project my son is working on. The color is similar to the pumpkin I posted. I actually got the "formula" from the nice guys who did that beautiful car & I'm willing to share it (PM me) if anyone wants it for a car. It's very expensive, I found out, it has a lot of pearl & metallic making it out of my price range & not practical for a trailer. Besides, my son kids me about being attracted to "pumpkin". He says it would look like a giant pumpkin rolling down the road ~ the prettiest pumpkin I've ever seen though. That was a valid point I decided.

I decided to go with a blue color ~ which blue I don't know yet. Robin's Egg or a turquoise? The fun stuff is what I love ~ the colors and decor. Can't wait to get there! I'll post every step here.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
I found a place to work on my trailer today!!!

I found a great place to park & work on my trailer just a few blocks away from my home on a 2.5 acre horse property ( that's what we call it here ). I fortunately live in a area that's still mostly rural-like with farms & mix of new homes next to old town properties & businesses. So YEAH!!! I am so happy!! It's a woman & her Mom who live there. It's a safe place. The rent is affordable & it is a degree of perfection except that's it's not covered but maybe we'll make a simple shelter. I move her March 31st. Stay tuned for photos when I start taking up the floor to inspect the trailer & work on the axle. I'm working on a floor plan & I heard about a company who makes the bathroom pieces that look like the 65 Caravel bathroom plus a whole bunch of other goodies. Maybe most everyone knows about this place but some might not. RV Parts and Motorhome Parts Online Outlet

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
My floorplan

I'm moving my trailer to a new temporary home to start working on it next Saturday. The program I used for the floor plan is very basic. I couldn't do everything like curved walls so if anyone knows of a free program for designing travel trailers ~ please pass it along. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf design1.pdf (336.3 KB, 165 views)

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Looks nice and roomy!!! What program are you using to design? Is that a t.v. and dresser on the curbside? Any overhead compartments? Is there a folding door for the bath? LOVE it!!!!
Great job!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD View Post
Looks nice and roomy!!! What program are you using to design? Is that a t.v. and dresser on the curbside? Any overhead compartments? Is there a folding door for the bath? LOVE it!!!!
Great job!!!
Thanks Jody! It's a program called floorplanner.com, I think it's a Google free program. There's cute little lights that look vintage & it allows you to view in 3D also. It's simple & good for a house & works just fine for what I need. Yes ~ that is a flat screen TV I have on the wall to watch an occasional movie (I stopped watching TV a few years ago). What isn't in the design is exactly what you mentioned, either overhead compartments or ledges. I'm trying to plan good weight distribution. The curbside cabinet will house all meters, batteries, inverter etc. There will be a divider with a sliding pocket door to the bedroom. And that bed is my queen size bed I cannot part with. Of course, the floorplan might change as we go along but it gives us a good idea & helps with tank placement which will all be above the floor not underneath. At least that's what I'm thinking for now. It looks so much roomier in the drawing than it feels when I'm inside the trailer which feels so small. I think the height of my trailer is lower than an AS. I haven't taken the tape measure to it yet but I think it's less than 7 feet height inside. People must have been shorter back then.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman

Thanks Jody! It's a program called floorplanner.com, I think it's a Google free program. There's cute little lights that look vintage & it allows you to view in 3D also. It's simple & good for a house & works just fine for what I need. Yes ~ that is a flat screen TV I have on the wall to watch an occasional movie (I stopped watching TV a few years ago). What isn't in the design is exactly what you mentioned, either overhead compartments or ledges. I'm trying to plan good weight distribution. The curbside cabinet will house all meters, batteries, inverter etc. There will be a divider with a sliding pocket door to the bedroom. And that bed is my queen size bed I cannot part with. Of course, the floorplan might change as we go along but it gives us a good idea & helps with tank placement which will all be above the floor not underneath. At least that's what I'm thinking for now. It looks so much roomier in the drawing than it feels when I'm inside the trailer which feels so small. I think the height of my trailer is lower than an AS. I haven't taken the tape measure to it yet but I think it's less than 7 feet height inside. People must have been shorter back then.
If you are willing to spend a few hours learning first, Google Sketchup is great for trailer curves. Very intuitive. I figured it out pretty quick and built my floor plan including height dimensions in no time.

As for interior height, I would kill for 7'. After flooring, my ceiling is 6'6". I'm 6'3"...

Make good use of that height. A chandelier for your trailer would be pretty classy ;-)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #49

Currently Looking...
arlington , Texas
Hello, my husband and I have what we believe to be a late 1940's early 1950's Schult travel trailer very similar to the one posted here. It is in decent condition on the outside, and needs some work on the inside. Can anyone tell me what they believe the value is, or an estimate. I would appreicate any feedback.
georgia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia1 View Post
Hello, my husband and I have what we believe to be a late 1940's early 1950's Schult travel trailer very similar to the one posted here. It is in decent condition on the outside, and needs some work on the inside. Can anyone tell me what they believe the value is, or an estimate. I would appreicate any feedback.
I would love to see pictures. Can you post some here? I would come visit you if you were closer. My trailer was stripped when I bought it & wish it had some original fixtures & interior. What do you plan on doing with your trailer?

Here's something about trailer values. what_is_my_vintage_trailer_worth [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 04-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
new photos

I added new photos today & started a blog. Photos showing the leaf springs and a cleaned up interior or at least a start. I love being able to go work on it when ever I want now. It's only a few blocks away on a farm with chickens & roosters & horses.

Photos Flickr: Trailer Lovely's Photostream

Blog http://1950schult.blogspot.com/ If you want to follow the restoration.

Today I cleaned it up & looked at everything & took more photos to post for feedback. There's some decent shots of the axle. Any advice on the separation would be welcomed. I think I need to reinforce the interior with wood & maybe some aluminum to pull it back together & make it solid before I remove the floor. It's mostly 1 side that's weak & warped & separated. The rest of the body seems to be well supported or at least in no danger of collapsing until it can be reinforced. There's no shot of the exterior looking down the side that's warped & separating. Any comments are welcome although I think we can figure it out. Experienced folks suggestions are always appreciated.

Happy trails & I hope everyone's enjoying some beautiful weather this weekend. We are in heaven in Arizona it's so nice.

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #52
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just added your blog to my list. Hope you do not mind. I am an avid blog reader....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I just added your blog to my list. Hope you do not mind. I am an avid blog reader....
Thank you ~ I'm honored to be added. : )

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Loving the blog! Keep going!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
The decision was made to start on the middle sections on both sides. One side is weaker than the other. The curbside in between the doors & the street side up to the curve of the upper section & up to the corner curve section completely stripped down to repair wood supports interior & skin.

See how much it warped (1st photo) when we moved it a short distance when I bought it to a temp storage 40 miles away, then only a few miles to it's home where we can work on it. It's not going anywhere until it's solid.

Removing the windows while doing this would be OK or should we leave the windows in place in the section we're repairing & remove them for repair when we're done? My son said we could remove them but I want to be sure they will go back in OK if we do it now or does it matter?

We'll also remove the floor to inspect the axle, work on the trailer. I don't think there is a brake at all. We'll get her stable & supported & then tow it for the axle , springs & brake work to a shop deciding that was the best option for us.

On my days off this week I'll be doing demolition (my son's favorite part) and trying to remove the floor.

Also, I have no idea about repairing or riveting steel so any comments on rivet guns or tools or anything would be helpful. A few panels have been replaced with aluminum. I think my son has enough knowledge & ability but he's never restored a trailer & I'll be trying to do as much as I can with help from other friends so guidance & comments are great. I also post on repairingyesterdaystrailers.com since my trailer's not an A/S. Is the rivet gun the same? I saw a recommendation for a good aircraft rivet gun. Are the rivets the same & is the process the same for steel as aluminum? Except steel is harder? I feel really dumb so I could use all the help I can get, in fact, if anyone wants to come help me with advise or anything, let me know. I can furnish the beer & maybe return the the favor if I can help you with anything. You never know. Just putting it out there. : )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0402122.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	154854   Click image for larger version

Name:	0402124.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	154855  

Name:	0402126.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	154856  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
nmm
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Make good use of that height. A chandelier for your trailer would be pretty classy ;-)
Indeed!

http://www.studiohem.com/roma/images...s/P1000487.JPG
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoman View Post
I feel really dumb so I could use all the help I can get, in fact, if anyone wants to come help me with advise or anything, let me know. I can furnish the beer & maybe return the the favor if I can help you with anything. You never know. Just putting it out there. : )
Spend hours and hours of reading this forum, and you won't feel dumb any more, I promise.

When I was camping last weekend, all the 2000 to 2012 Airstream owners were coming by and asking questions. The few that pretended to know about Airstreams and vintage ones were incorrect about so many things that I finally realized I had actually learned some stuff here.

So I haven't been just wasting my time on these forums...

If you drive the trailer to CA I'll be happy to help. Otherwise you are about 7 hrs away

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #59
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
That is one of those Vickers we were talking about a couple years back Marcus. They are so over the top gaudy that they are beautiful. This is all my personal opinion(I have to do that, being a commercial guy does not allow me to have an opinion unless it is personal), but to each his own.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #60
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Silver,

Were there water tanks at each end of the trailer when built? I know nothing about these, but if it were an Airstream all the weight sloshing around at the ends would be a recipe for front and/or rear end separation. That's why they are usually in the middle close to the axles.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags