Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Just saw a CW that Uwe is re-building at Area 63 in Orange, CA.

One nice thing about those trailers is the 36" wide entry door.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
I'm a little new to this posting thing, but here goes....
I am a proud owner of a Curtis Wright model 2 (!) in the process of a complete restoration. I have a guzillion pictures of it. It is serial number 5047 and that's the earliest I've seen on this model... I went to the Tin Can Tourist site, but I don't have the $20 to join right now so I can't post my info there. So if anyone wants to contact me, feel free! (I'm also on facebook)
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
LHN

Currently Looking...
Studio City , California
Is this "thread" still active? I just bought what I believe is a 1947 Curtis Wright. It has no "name plate" but the Title says that it is just that. This is my first trailer and its been "gutted" so, I'll be looking for some expert support as I stumble along.
-LHN
LHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHN View Post
Is this "thread" still active? I just bought what I believe is a 1947 Curtis Wright. It has no "name plate" but the Title says that it is just that. This is my first trailer and its been "gutted" so, I'll be looking for some expert support as I stumble along.
-LHN
Post some photos, and let's see watcha got.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
You could also try Tin Can Tourists page for Curtis Wright owners:
curtis_wright [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]
Lots to look at and the history is right there. I have a model 2, and it's coming along nicely though had to make some modifications to it because it was in such horrible shape...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I see a horror story beginning

This is your first trailer....no data plate...gutted....and a 1947 Curtis. Well, You certainly jumped on a bag of worms. I can help with the pictures and walk thru of the 47....but, rest assured, this is a major job. Go at it as a hobby and you may finish.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Glad to see a CW thread coming back to life.

I've got a 28' Curtis that I believe might have been a prototype for a model that I've only seen described in an old print ad (dated January 1949). It could be the basis of what is described in that ad as either a "Flagship", "Cruiser", or "Sleeper". No name tag, but a fading serial number 8180 stamped into the coupling. Pics attached, any info much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0002.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	860.1 KB
ID:	181321   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0006.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	848.3 KB
ID:	181322  

streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Wow! A 28' footer! This is going to be difficult to figure out. I have never seen a 28' referenced before. If it were a prototype, looks like it has some type of ladder frame, rather than the single tube. The length probably dictates the ladder frame, but why wouldn't the Curtis Wright model continue the more stable frame. I could be wrong, but believe Silver Streak continued the pipe frame after 1949 when the design rights were taken over.

I wonder if a previous owner decided to extend the length, and built the new frame for it. Perhaps it was originally serial 8180, and he stamped it on the frame. Just a wild guess.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
LHN

Currently Looking...
Studio City , California
Curtis Wright "Madness"

Well, I guess I stirred-up this old thread, so, I should jump back in. Yeah, I'm a novice and can see how I've stepped in a "bag of worms" - "fools rush in". But, I'd like to think that I'm in it for the log haul. However, the Curtis Wright will have to take a back seat to my next project which will be working on my daughter's and son-in-law's home in north county San Diego. The trailer is there (I am not). I'll clean it up enough to sleep in it while we add a bedroom and bathroom to the house then the next project will, hopefully, be the trailer. In the meantime, I'll dream the dreams (nightmares?) of how to put this little darling back together. I don't have photos at this time and I am a techno-dinosaur but will post some as soon as I'm back down there to take them (and can figure out how to do that).
Thanks for the support -
-LHN-
LHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyeda View Post
Wow! A 28' footer! This is going to be difficult to figure out. I have never seen a 28' referenced before. If it were a prototype, looks like it has some type of ladder frame, rather than the single tube. The length probably dictates the ladder frame, but why wouldn't the Curtis Wright model continue the more stable frame. I could be wrong, but believe Silver Streak continued the pipe frame after 1949 when the design rights were taken over.

I wonder if a previous owner decided to extend the length, and built the new frame for it. Perhaps it was originally serial 8180, and he stamped it on the frame. Just a wild guess.
Hi Cliff,

Glad to have caught your attention since you seem to be very active in CW circles.

I'm always hoping to find any new information that would shed light on my trailer's origins, which is why I posted. I've also attached the ad that I previously referenced which describes three CW models that no one has apparently ever seen, the names of which (Flagship, Cruiser, Sleeper) all seem to imply greater size and amenities.

From what info I've been able to gather from the CW registry on Tin Can Tourist, I would place the serial number stamped on my trailer's coupling somewhere toward the mid to latter part of the 1947 Model 5 production run, or very early 1948.

This is about the time that Wally split off to restart Airstream.

In 1947, his "Liners" (with the exception of door and windows) were pretty much identical to CW "Clippers", and the "Wee Wind" was just a shortened version of that.

In 1948, Airstream introduced a model called the "Whirlwind" which also was 28' long with two doors, but with a double axle and a single pipe frame. I've imagined that since he was undoubtedly the creative design force behind everything at CW, that the "Whirlwind" was his follow-up to my "prototype?" that he had put together while still at CW. This is of course pure speculation on my part.

People have suggested that my trailer might have been some sort of combination of two trailers connected end to end, but there is no sign of that being the case. The frames, rivets, and seams are perfectly aligned and matched, and the skins are continuous. Hopefully this spring/summer I'll get around to removing the temporary floor that was installed to transport it, which will reveal the very interesting ladder frame on which it rests.

Thanks for your interest,

Charly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vintage_40s_curtis_wright_industries_brochure.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	181437  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Interior of Curtis Wright Model 5

Thought you might like to see the brochure for the interior of the CW. Isn't this FUN!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120105 (3).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	182033  
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I think I have some pictures

Ocare2bfree has a link to the trailer your talking about...lots of pictures too. I have some here....http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...0&d=1294537565
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Ocare2bfree has a link to the trailer your talking about...lots of pictures too. I have some here....http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...0&d=1294537565
Melody,

Thanks for the pic, but I don't think its my trailer, unless I just cant see the rear door which would be just in front of the street side bed (assuming we're looking toward the rear of the trailer).

I actually bought the mystery CW from Mike and Tina (aka oh2becarefree). Whenever there's a little interest in CW's on the forum, I like to put up a pic to see if anyone can contribute any info that might help solve the riddle of its origin.

Charly
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #34

Bloomington , Indiana
Some more CW inspiration

Thought I'd add a few more photos to the thread.

Here is a restored '48 with interior shots: 1948 Curtis Wright

Sure got lucky finding that '48. Hope to see more pictures of your progress!
RollinVntge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #35
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD View Post
I'm a little new to this posting thing, but here goes....
I am a proud owner of a Curtis Wright model 2 (!) in the process of a complete restoration. I have a guzillion pictures of it. It is serial number 5047 and that's the earliest I've seen on this model... I went to the Tin Can Tourist site, but I don't have the $20 to join right now so I can't post my info there. So if anyone wants to contact me, feel free! (I'm also on facebook)
Just found one locally Model 5 Serial 8072. In bad shape but still alive. He doesn't want to sell, don't ask LOL
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Curtis Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisE MN View Post
Just found one locally Model 5 Serial 8072. In bad shape but still alive. He doesn't want to sell, don't ask LOL
Is it possible to get photos, and one of the serial number tag. I am trying to find as many CW's that are still out there. Nice to have owner's name and contact if he is willing to add to the list.

There are a few CW's listed on the Tincan Tourist manufacturer's page:

curtis_wright [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

Also, a work in progress more photos of various CW's found in person, from owners, or just on the internet.

Gallery

Tags