Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
1946 Vagabond...I've lost my mind...

Found a 1946 Vagabond and am thinking crazy like to go over and walk through it. I might also fall through it by looking at the condition of the trailer. Pretty rough but I have aluminum fever....got bit a while back.

Any ideas on if this kind of a trailer makes sense to try to salvage? Looks like everything is there but definitely a start from the bottom up project. I don't need something that I will end up having to pay to haul off to the dump. Suggestions? Ideas appreciated and comments taken...
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Cool find Sandy. If all else fails it could be a storage shed for the guts of the Sovereign for a few years until you get it done. It sure would be neat to see it restored to it's former glory.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Is it worth the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Cool find Sandy. If all else fails it could be a storage shed for the guts of the Sovereign for a few years until you get it done. It sure would be neat to see it restored to it's former glory.
Thanks Chris....I have mentioned it to the man in charge and he says "No way!" while I am thinking of running up there and taking a look. I don't need another project but it is quite a little treasure from back in time. Have you ever seen one restored? I think if we got it and parked it in the yard, we could build a nice little cabin out of it when we got to it.
Sandy
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Smile

I have a 48 & a 50 Vagabond model 262 (26' body length, tandem axle) & think they're really cool. Their construction is quite different than an Airstream in that the chassis is built like a truss & the body skins are attached to a steel tube "roll cage" type structure that is an intergral part of the chassis. Once you go inside, i'm sure you'll fall in love with it & make sure it doesn't see a junk yard. I haven't started the restorations yet, but hopefully i'll have time...............someday.

Good luck with it,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Info is good...making things even more tempting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
I have a 48 & a 50 Vagabond model 262 (26' body length, tandem axle) & think they're really cool. Their construction is quite different than an Airstream in that the chassis is built like a truss & the body skins are attached to a steel tube "roll cage" type structure that is an intergral part of the chassis. Once you go inside, i'm sure you'll fall in love with it & make sure it doesn't see a junk yard. I haven't started the restorations yet, but hopefully i'll have time...............someday.

Good luck with it,
Colin
Thanks for that info. I haven't found much for information on the Vagabonds so am curious about how they would be restored. I am nuts for thinking about another trailer but whatcan I say? I am going to take a trip out to see it once the snow melts. It is in an old barn and has been there for the last ten years. Should be interesting....
Sandy
Old 02-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
I bought a '52 last month. Here's something for that fever:

vagabond [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

1953 Vagabond 35
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
Arrowstream, thanks for posting those links. That 1953 is beautiful.
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote