Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Water systems and electrical

I am new to my 1970 Globetrotter. She needs some work and I am in need of some education!

Here are my questions:

1. There is a circuit breaker between the power convertor to battery. Look like it may have been installed after the fact. I am having issues with power to the front half of the trailer. I did short the system by accident when installing a new battery. I was connected to 120 and the positive terminal hit the trailer body and shorted. I have managed to get power back to the rear of trailer (over head lights) the fuses (glass tubes) inside the power convertor all look intact. The radio and over table light now do not work. I cannot see there being any other fuses in the line so open to anyones suggestions.

2. There is a water pump in the front left of trailer by fresh water tank. That I have no idea on how to get going or if it works. Open to ideas or instruction. How does this pressurized system work? We always had a manual pump in our other trailers.

3. There is a blue tank in the rear of trailer with a wood lid? What goes in there?

4. I have two switches on the walls of the trailer. One above the the sink with half of it red? No idea what that controls. Another switch by door..I assume that is for exterior light.

5. Any other electrical or plumping advice would be welcome.

Thank you all so much

Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
1. Are the non working items connected to 110 or 12 volt system?
2. Pump is almost certainly 12 volt. You can test it by connecting it directly to a 12 volt battery or othr 12 volt power source. It pressurizes the system in place of a city water connection and delivers water from the onboard tank. Pump switch i typically located near the kitchen sink.
3. Pictures of blue tank might help. Are you sure it is not a toilet?:-)
4. Switch above th sink controls either water pump water heater. Switch near door will control a light (probably outside).
5. READ READ READ. Lots of good info here.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Hey BambiTex,

I believe everything is 12 volt besides the fridge. I had the dining light and radio working before the short and now nothing. All the other lights are working in the trailer...well the ones with good bulbs.
the pump is 12 volt for sure. PO said it worked in the fall...perhaps the wall switch is not functioning. I will see if I can test it directly with a battery.

I am not near trailer but the blue tank sits street side next to battery.

I have been reading lots here....tons of info...going to replace all the fuses.

Also there is a breaker thing on the battery cable coming out of the univolt....looks like an after though....any ideas....
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Check all bulbs and fuses (may be hidden, in-line fuses somewhere).
Is blue tank near the water pump? What is it connected to? Might be fresh water tank or gray water tank.
You will want to replace the Univolt with a proper converter anyway so then you can eliminate the extra breaker...
Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Sometimes the original factory wiring configuration can appear to be an afterthought. Areas of my '68 original wiring were less than professional, careless. Nesting rats could have done better.

The original converter is troublesome by design. BambiTex's kindly advise about a multi-stage modern converter is imperative to your electrical system's survival.

If you have a VoltOhmMeter, and know how to use it, wiring troubles are pretty easy to diagnose. It is a “must know how to use”, required tool of Airstream ownership.

Trailer wiring isn't complicated, but can be frustrating because much of it is fairly inaccessible. You'll find the open circuits with cunning and patience. Hidden fuse, burnt wire, deteriorated/corroded terminal, bad ground... Folks here are helpful, so keep posting your findings.

Photo of "Blue Tank"??

Globe Trotters Rule!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
I am having trouble posting pics here...I can email them to you if that is an option?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
https://canadiancampingcouple.wordpr...-for-airforum/

Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
1970 is a nice year. Your toilet sits atop your black/blue tank.

The converter is the old battery boiling "univolt", and with normal use, will cause frequent battery service and frequent battery replacement. Consider the system you have now as temporary.

If you're not yet ready to redesign the electrical system and battery location, I'd guess a modern converter, perhaps something along the line of a magnum mms1012 and a big single 12v agm true deep-cycle like a Lifeline gpl 31xt worth a look. I'd think a combination similar to that would serve a small camper well, and would welcome expansion, solar, inverter circuit...

Don't follow this as absolute advise, just a point to begin research, as there are very informed electrical vendors on Airforums that you can contact with a little searching and they will gladly guide you to something that fits your camping expectations and pocketbook...

Happy Trails
Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
Want to keep an eye on your posts as I too have a 1970 GT and am about 8 hrs south of you in Hamilton MT. I have two different front corner windows, one bottom outside corner is squared and one is rounded. May I ask what yours are as I want to replace the non original?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
gdod25, you are welcome to ask me as I have done a fair amount research now on this model. If I can help I will and vice versa I am hoping.
are you able to send me picture of the window? my email is frameandfocus@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
I can tell by the picture yours has the lower outside corner squared. Mine is rounded with a patch where the right angle would be. I am close to pulling the shell, just procrastinating out of anxiety. (-:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Just a thought for you to have. I put out a post regarding serial number. I figured out from it that my trailer is in fact a 69 not a 70 like we thought. 69 was the only year the did the squared off windows. Do you have your serial handy? Should be on the plague on the right side of the door. You may have a 69 as well and there are some fundamental differences between the two years I have learned.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
The number is B21D0-S141. I was kind of wondering the same thing. This number is all I see but doesn't jive with any SN lists I've seen.