Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #1

Louisville , Kentucky
Total Newbie Looking For Buying Help, Establishing Fair Price

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newb to RV anything. Have never owned one, or though I would even though for years I have admired Airstreams that passed me on the road. Lately the last year I decided I'm tired of daydreaming about this stuff and "why not" just jump in. My search began as tent camping, then progressed to thinking I want to be off the ground so I was looking at a pop up. After several "almost" buys I decided that what I've always really wanted was the Airstream and I was just trying to substitute everything else b/c buying one of these seemed a daunting task honestly. So fast forward to today, I've been looking daily and corresponding with people but not having a lot of luck. What I find either looks completely destroyed if it seems reasonable priced or astronomically priced if it is in just decent condition. I came across one Airstream Arogosy (sp?) model a few months ago and honestly I should have bought it but I was so new to the idea I wanted to make sure I wasn't rushing and it was bought out from under me. I didn't think it was a really good deal at his asking price (he was very firm) as to me it needed everything redone (pretty gross condition to me, but everything was there and worked). Evidentially someone disagreed with me b/c within 2 days of me seeing it he sold it. My background is very mechanical, I do all my own automotive repair (including painting) and have renovated homes in the past, plus I am an experienced fine furniture maker so I feel I have the aptitude to work on these, just not sure what I should be paying. It seems to me it is all over the place with no way for sure to know what is actually selling for a certain price or not. This is why I turned to the forum. I have found a 1972 Globetrotter, seems all there and while in "ok" condition, my wife would never be ok sitting on old, dingy stuff, so anything will be a complete redo interior wise. I've spoke with the owner and he is asking 12K which seems super high to me (could totally be wrong) based on what I've read/seen from http://vintageairstream.com/airstream-price-guide/ but maybe I'm interpreting the values wrong. I figured guys on this forum would know better than any book/pricing guides etc. I want to be fair with him, but 12 grand for it (it has one huge dent in the front corner too) seems crazy, am I wrong? Can anyone help me with pricing based on what I've said? I can get photos if anyone needs, but just need to know how to fairly assess pricing. Thanks so much everyone, hope to be an Airstream owner one day soon, but it is discouraging for a newbie lol
cfiiman is offline   Reply With Quote