Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Team, I think we may be in the process of hijacking Gamakai's thread, not sure, as I have misplaced my official Forum user handbook.
Gamakai, I hope we haven't sidetracked you.

Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My apologies if we have veered off track. To get back on topic, I would reiterate that adding a grey tank to a 70's era GT isn't terribly difficult, and that if one chooses the VTS tanks, they fit nicely inside the frame as pictured above.

Some modifications are required, namely, one must devise a means of support for the tanks, whether it is straps or slide in panels like I am using. I also made slight mods to two cross members so that drains could pass from tank to tank as low as possible. The center belly pan is one continuous sheet from the rear bumper to just behind the fresh tank. One option may be to remove it and then put it back all in one piece, another would be to create several sections of belly skin, as I did.

When I started working under my trailer, I stacked some 2 x 12s under the wheels to raise the trailer 3 inches to give me some more working room. I also got an angle drill, which was helpful for drilling out the rivets in the belly pan. Get ready for all kinds of nasty to fall in your face as you work.

Good luck.

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Another thought on the level of difficulty of adding a grey tank: no matter what tank you choose, at some point you will have to order the tanks and possibly specify locations for drains/ fittings. Some tanks are constructed such that you can drill your own hole where you need it and put in a rubber fitting, and away you go. On most polyethylene tanks, your best bet is to spin-weld fittings into place. For the VTS tanks, you can have VTS spin weld the fittings in for you, but you have to be very confident of where you want them to be. I actually constructed faux-tanks the same size as the VTS tanks out of insulating foam so that I could play around with them and figure out exactly where I needed them and where the drain/vent holes ought to be spun in. This worked out quite well. I have heard of other people ordering the tanks with no additional spun fittings, and they decide where they want the fittings and then take the tanks to a local RV place and have the fittings installed. So again, its a custom job, not really an off-the-shelf solution, so it takes some careful planning (to order your tanks with the fittings in the right place).

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote