The more upkeep/repair and reading in the forums I do about airstreams,
I begin thinking more about the similarities between them and submarines.
1. You don't want any water to get in.
2. In the submarine we planned on having condensation in the hull (underbelly) so we had a way to get rid of it.
3. Galvanic corrosion was gonna happen (seawater/salt on the roads, acid rain, stray current, and dissimilar metals etc).
So this is what I'm doing :
Before we dove on the submarine we would build up a little air pressure inside the hull. If you couldn't do it you better not go under
. Air check for leaks with bubble solution.
I'm putting vinyl soffit vents in the underbelly. You can get these in various diameters (1" to 4") they are made with a chevron grid to let air in and out, but deflect water. I made sure that the insulation in the under belly had a vapor barrier installed towards the heated area (floor). It originally did not have a vapor barrier. Secondly I made sure that the insulation stays where it belongs by utilizing the 24" insulating wires for holding it (you can purchase these at most hardware stores for holding insulation in ceilings), utilizing a wire grid where there was enough properly spaced holes in the trailer frame and were neither could be used I used contact cement on the vapor barrier and precisely cut the insulation and stuck it to the floor.
I reused the original aluminum sheets. Some had bad galvanic corrosion in the rivet hole areas. This was was due to contact with the steel frame.
I did not have the time to procure new alum. so had to place a patch across these areas so the stainless screws I was using would hold.
I just happen to have some 45" zinc strips left over from my roof.
Patches and zinc anodes in one. We shall see how this works .
Also, because stainless steel will gall very easily I used anti-seize on the screws.
I welcome the comments from the fly-boys