Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #533
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I'm new to this forum, but not to Airstream. A former GF and I towed a "sistership" - a '71 Caravel 18 - once around the planet back in the 90's. I just retired as a marine surveyor after 30 years in the yacht repair biz. I was in the midst of a similar full monte on a '72 Unifite 28 Sallty Dog sport fishing boat when I met my current wife. We have since moved on to a somewhat newer '81 Uniflite cruiser that didn't need that much work. Plenty, yes, but not that much.

My spouse mentioned to me, after my numerous exclamations over reading Aerowood's ongoing litany of perfection, "He can't be married!"

I explained that you were, and mentioned the white paint spots in the driveway...

I'm back in the AS world with a recently purchased slightly used '12 Flying Cloud 27FB. It obviously cost more than the $1800 you paid for your project. Having gone through all the stages of angst, revelation and satisfaction with the old Salty Dog, I can appreciate what you're doing, what you're accomplishing, and I can truly say, "I'm so glad that ain't me!"

At the end of 6 years with the Dog, I was about half done. The mechanicals were 100%, but she was just as ugly as the day I got her. (the boat! Come on, you guys!) I'm sure I will have my share of issues with our almost-new Cloud, but I will *never again* have the energy (or desire) to go through the process you're still "enjoying."

This thread was started in 2007. Got a target date for completion? I thought not.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #534
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
I came in from working on my 1970 GT to check the forum for an answer to my problem and got hijacked to this thread and have burnt up an hour and a half at least following Aerowood's restore. While Im here may I ask if anyone has removed a streetside rear shower with toilet inside? Im working by myself and cant seem to slide it out. I have left the top and bottom unriveted but together as there is no head room to lift the top off. All the obvious rivets, screws, toilet and shower flange have been removed. Anything below to snag this?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #535
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post

This thread was started in 2007. Got a target date for completion? I thought not.
I have no time frame as of yet. I am currently working here

43.5300 S, 172.6203 E
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #536
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdod25 View Post
I came in from working on my 1970 GT to check the forum for an answer to my problem and got hijacked to this thread and have burnt up an hour and a half at least following Aerowood's restore. While Im here may I ask if anyone has removed a streetside rear shower with toilet inside? Im working by myself and cant seem to slide it out. I have left the top and bottom unriveted but together as there is no head room to lift the top off. All the obvious rivets, screws, toilet and shower flange have been removed. Anything below to snag this?
As the interior of mine was in rough shape I did not preform a surgical removal of the remaining interior
Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #537
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have no time frame as of yet. I am currently working here

43.5300 S, 172.6203 E

1. which is street side and which is curb side in New Zealand?
2. Assuming all of your "work" is being done at the Hagley Golf course (43.5300 S, 172.6203 E), can you let the northern hemispherians know if the ball circles the cup clock-wise or counter-clock-wise as it goes in the hole.

OK 3 questions (and most important): Is the beer served in pints or liters at the 19th hole?

Mike
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #538
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Actually I'm here, Christchurch Accommodation New Zealand | Peppers Clearwater Resort and its cold and wet out. Nobody is playing golf right now, and this place is close to the airport and the US Antarctic Polar Programs flight line. The asphalt on this ramp looks the same as all the other flight lines I've been on. The beer here is "quite lovely", and I'm making sure that I am contributing to the local pubs economy.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #539
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Holy Toledo sir, you are either a craftsman or a magician.

I am reading like a madman but only on page 18. Thank you for posting your hinge repair in my "sloppy hinge" thread and directing me here.

This thread is *ahem* RIVETING.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #540
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Thank you.

I wish I had more time to finish, I'm still in NZ and will be for another week.

There are campers here every where you look and I've been meaning to stop off at a dealer lot and have a look see. I have seen one Airstream here but as it was pushed far back into a driveway I could only tell that it was a later model.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #541
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
I have just over 3 months to get ours back at least livable...that is when the kids will get back from their honeymoon and will need to move in to it. Optimistic at best.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #542
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Started early today on the street side lower skin. First Pic is a before picture, notice the 6061-T6 skin splice done by a PO. On the second picture I am plugging all the 3/16th holes that the skin repair was originally installed with and re drilling them to 1/8th for now The third pic is of a frame section that was bent (and with 3/16th holes) that I straightened and then attached to the "C" channel and out rigger. The forth pic is of a frame work change on the two frames that stopped short of the wheel tub. I fabricated a new longer stringer out of .063 2024-T3. The old way left the area above the wheel well tube flimsy. I still need to make two new stub frames to go on each side of the tub up to the new stringer. The last pics show the new skin being drilled up. I still have another good day of work before it will be ready to be shot on.
Aerowood what did you plug the 3/16 holes with? I need to plug a few.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #543
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Sorry about the delayed repal but flying a research mission and am extremely busy.

I used MS20426A6-X rivets and then countersunk the holes slightly on each side and then sanded them flush.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #544
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My Summer so far has been consumed by this.

Hundreds Tour NCAR Planes Studying Front Range Air Quality « CBS Denver

Why planes are flying so low

Researchers take flight to measure air quality around Colorado - The Denver Post
Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #545
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Fan framework

Hey Kip,
I really like your Fantastic Fan support and am looking to try the same setup.
My question: In post #509, In pic 3 and 4 it looks as if the front of your "Fan support frame" has an angle to it. Is that correct? If so, what is the reason for the angle
I drew up and attached a dwg of how your mod looks to me (for reference)

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-fan.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	221599  
Old 09-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #546
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It's not the fan support frame that is bent at an angle, but the new stringers. I think it is 11 or 12 degrees over 90 on the flange that attaches to the exterior skin and the same under 90 on the interior flange. This was done because of the angle created by the new square fan support frame, in relation to the curved skin, creates an angle at their intersection. The new stringers rivet to the fan frame and if I didn't over and under bend the flanges on the stringer all the mating surfaced would have had gaps. Once you cut the hole for the new fan frame and hold it in place it becomes very obvious.