Old 11-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
So it's Roger that has the Caravel. I saw the post was from Langley. Say Hi to the BC guys for me.
Will pass on howdy's for you. And two different Caravel's. Roger (Ephrata, WA) also has that really badly damaged 61 Bambi he picked up last spring that the roof fell on (before he bought it) and a '62 Trade Wind. Of the three the Caravel is the keeper and he's busy repairing some damage it had when he bought it. The fellow in Langley I've not yet met but intend to soon. He sounds like a keener and is hard at his repairs too.

Barry.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #338
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
I know we talked about a while back but what insulation are you going with in the walls?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #339
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I think I will be using a combination of foil bubble and polyisocanurate, closed cell, and aluminum faced.

Kip
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
I think I will be using a combination of foil bubble and polyisocanurate, closed cell, and aluminum faced.

Kip
Kip, check out Prodex at www.insulation4less.com
This is better than Reflectix. Uwe turned me on to it!
Best to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #341
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I will most likely use prodex if my wallet will let me. You have to remember that I am just a humble aircraft mechanic that is only responsible for the lives of the people that fly on the aircraft that I return to service. A typical car mechanic at the local Chevy dealer make more $$$ then we do.

Kip
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
S with a Z, I am installing both a catalytic and a forced air.

The forced air is on order and I had not bought the catalytic that I wanted to install yet, until today. My wife and I were coming home from the Tree Farm with a new tree for the front yard and stopped at a Garage Sale at a farm house close to the tree farm. I bought a brand new, still in the sealed box, Olympic 6100a catalytic heater for 75 bucks. It's an older unit but works perfect. I'd rather be lucky then good anyday.

Kip
You won't regret putting in the new furnace, Kip. Granted, they are battery-hogs when boondocking (but you can use your sweatbox cat for that!). I just finished installing a "new" (salvage, paid $300 on ebay) Suburban NT-30SP after tossing the infamous "recall" Nt-22 and we're nice and toasty inside (folks don't realize it gets chilly down here...we're hitting THIRTY-ONE DEGREES tonight!). The idea of that 22 leaking CO was just too scary to contemplate so I tossed it. It WAS a big@ss job on the install, don't get me wrong, but worth it.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Kip, check out Prodex at www.insulation4less.com
This is better than Reflectix. Uwe turned me on to it!
Best to you,
Rich the Viking
These guys are in Castle Rock, but I don't think you can do a local pickup. If you're interested, 2333 used the Prodex in his Tradewind (?). I don't know if he sold it or stored it for his year in Africa. I used a couple small pieces in my insulation test two years ago. As I recall, it did marginally better than plain bubble insulation available at Home Depot (you can see comments about this in the first post in that insulation thread). Maybe 1 square foot wasn't a good test--the Prodex certainly looks and feels like it ought to perform better.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #344
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I think the Prodex was easier to use than fiberglass, by far. The things that sold me on it were the 19db sound deadening quality (I couldn't find a sound rating for Reflectix), and the rigidity, compared to Reflectix makes it easier to handle, and it doesn't collapse when subjected to high heat, the bubbles do. And I got the idea to begin with from Uwe, whose work is most impressive to me.
I used my Safari at Burningman this past August/ September and I had no problem keeping it cool inside in the Nevada desert. I only ran the ac for a few hours one day and I could have done without it.
I made window covers out of 1/8" plywood, laminated with Prodex on one side. They fit into the screen clips and tracks and take their places when I want privacy, dark, or increased insulation value. I also laminated one layer into the top of each metal roof vent lid, and I made a two layer sandwich to cover the entire vent opening from below. They have holes that fit onto the handle pegs, so I pull the handles off , push the covers onto them and then push the handles back on to hold them in place. With all of the covers up I can blackout the interior, and on a ninety+ degree day last August, with the sun shining on my roof, I cranked up my little 8k btu window ac and got the inside temp down to the minimum setting of the ac: 64 degrees!

And the total cost for my Safari for insulation and tape was just over $300.00

Rich the Viking
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #345
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Fit and finish

It too was surprised with the interior and the (in my opinion) poor quality of how the aluminum skin is installed. Now I must admit that I'm no expert at skinning a trailer or aircraft. But all I've heard over the years is that the AS is the "Rolls Royce" of travel trailers. I'm in the process of revamping my Argosy. I'll just have to live with the interior skin. Does anyone have a source for the plastic edge trim and the channel trim (I call it)? Used around the tub and other places in the interior. It's plastic 1 1/16 wide with a step or lip on each side.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #346
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
I finally got back from Peoria Ill. for awhile and my brother came over and helped me install the top sheet of the water tank platform. We shot the top sheet of .040 2024-T3 on with 1/8th countersunk solid rivets. A piece of 1/2 foam insulation will glue on top off this skin. This mod is going to save me alot of weight. I'm guessing somewhere around 50 lbs
That would make a nice subfloor...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It would make a nice subfloor. It would be rather expensive though.

Kip
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #348
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Back to the Prodex. I emailed asking if I could pickup. Zep was right: A big No Go! I guess shipping charges apply.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #349
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
It would make a nice subfloor. It would be rather expensive though.

Kip
I know....

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #350
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
[QUOTE=Aerowood;546572]I took the double pane wing window apart and cleaned up the outer pane and checked it to size with my single pane. It's the same size but 1/16 thicker. In the process of removing the Plexiglas from my window I broke the plexi in many pieces, I'm committed now. I could not use the gray gasket due to the increased thickness of the new glass. I next straightened my frame up and cleaned it up. I put soap on the new glass and it slipped right into the frame. Tomorrow I will inject sealant between the glass and aluminum. [QUOTE]

Can you explain a little more, about what you have done here. I'm jumping into redoing my wing windows soon, and it seems you've done just what I am needing to do... What kind of sealant did you use? And, how did you inject it? you didn't have a gasket in there? And since it was a dual pane, how did you resolve all the extra space from the now missing plexiglass?

Here's a pic of how mine looks now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5237.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	100180  

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
http://toddcreatedwood.blogspot.com/
TPdrums is offline   Reply With Quote