Old 08-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
'71 Globetrotter

Well I am no longer "Currently Looking" I pick up my 1971 21' Globetrotter this afternoon and will start the restoration soon. The interior kitchen area is missing and a bunk is in its place. The only thing still original is the bathroom. There are only a couple of dents on the exterior skin (rt. lower front) and this skin will be easy to replace. A PO replaced the door skin but it was done poorly and will also need to be replaced. I'm sure that many other things will pop up as I gut it out for a total inspection. I noticed no spongy floorboards but I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #2

2005 25' Safari
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your new family member. There's lots of good info here.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2012 FC 23' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Welcome to the forums and to the Airstream family.

AIR #7916
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your GT adoption.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Congratulations on the new-to-you Globetrotter! Hope you can post some pictures soon - we love pictures.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hi, and congrats! Your GT is a nice length, I think- and you'll have fun with the restore. If I can be of any help, I've redone a '72 up in Estes- come up and camp sometime this fall and we can take a look at what you can do- Tim
Old 08-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Not Yet

I went to pick the GT up and the owners agent met me at the lot storage lot and informed me that he had not recieved the title as expected from the owner who now lives in Indy. The trailer is titled in Colorado but the owner now lives in Indiana. I did get the tires aired up and found that out that I can't get the lights working because the plug that goes into the trailer is an oddball. I will make some tow lights that I can clamp onto the bumper to get it home, then do something more permanent after I get it here. It now looks like Tues. Sept 5 is the pickup date now. The owner will have to make another payment to the storage lot now. It wouldn't be so bad but I live on the extream Northwest side of metro Denver and the trailer is on the extream Southeast side of town. Oh well I've been looking for 9 months anyway so another week won't kill me.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Congrats on finding your Airstream!

Sorry you have to wait, but now that you have seen it you can start the mental list of things to do once you get it home! Sounds like you will have a fairly "clean slate" to work with for designing the interior. Could be really fun! Be sure once you get it home, before you take anything apart, take zillions of digital pictures! Pics of everything in extreme detail. WE thought we had lots of pics, but there was always something we couldn't remember because we didn't have enough pictures.... they are ever so useful when reassembly time comes!

Good luck! Have fun! Be sure to go to a rally (even without your trailer...) and check out others so you can ask lots of questions and make great decisions about what to do with your Airstream!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Aerowood - disappointing that you couldn't pick up your GT, but you'll be much better off leaving that storage lot with the Airstream and the title in hand. It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The Fun Begins

Congratuations on your new find. When I picked up my GT I found that the PO had "rearranged" the interior.
You'll soon get used to the mixture of fun and frustration of restoring/rebuilding in no time. And you won't regret a minute of it.

Enjoy,
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Aerowood--The plug that goes into the trailer is no oddball, it is the 7-way plug used by A/S from 1966 thru 1981. The pin at 6 oclock is larger in dia. than the others, right? If this is the plug you have, here is what you connect to at each position:
12 oclock left turn & stop wire color red
2 " tail lt & clearance " " green
4 " right turn & stop " " brown
6 " ground (big pin) " " white
8 " back up lights " " black
10 " brakes " " yellow
center charge line " " blue
You should be able to rig up some temporary wires between your standard 7-pin connector and the plug on your A/S. Good luck with the trip home, and look forward to tons of fun A/Sing.--Frank S
Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Aerowood--For some reason my columns got mushed together. " is oclock, and "" is wire color.--Frank S
Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Well the problem is , is that I don't have one and the PO doesn't have one either. He's been towing it around with no lights at all. I have also been unable to find one locally and I,m leaving tonight (I,m an Aircraft Mechanic/Flight Enginner) And won't be back until Monday night and I pick up the trailer Tues. morning. I made some temp lights today (At Work) that I can just clamp to the bumper and deal with it at a later date. I tried to find the proper plug last night but our local Airstream parts dept closed at 5 and I couldn't make it there in time. I,m planning to rewire the whole trailer with M22759 Mil spec wire and aircraft circut breakers, so I will most likely replace the plug receptical with a waterproof aircraft cannon plug.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Its home

I got the trailer home today and started removing the interior. The floors look good but I have not removed the bathroom yet. The Battery had frozen and split, and it was not in a battery box. Floor was solid under it, but I may have to replace due to possible long term problems, plus it really smells of battery acid. The blackwater tank has not been dumped in a long, long, long time so that will be an interesting and *hitty problem. I have found one dead mouse so far and expect more due to the large amount of scat left behind. Had a full day to day and will attack more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	25659   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	25660  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream4.jpg