Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Aerowood,
Couple of items, you can use one of the rolling Blue Tanks for gray water. As far as the umbilical is concerned, the plug that goes on the trailer end of the cord is available at most well stocked trailer supply houses. I use the same plug on my goose neck trailers and have addapted my Airstreams to use them on the truck end as well. IMHO it is a better plug than the flat blade 7 pin RV style. Besides if someone wants to steal my trailer they aren't going to be able to have brakes or lights

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
plug

I found the plug and cord while I was stripping it out. It was stored behind the toilet for some reason, Who knows the though process of the PO?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I,m back

I got back from Savannah and took a couple of days off to continue the Interior strip out. Wouldn't you know it, but it started raining last night and is expected to continue for the rest of the week. Anyway I got the black water tank, water heater, shower floor pan, and the furnace out before I was soaking wet and called it a day around noon. I am going to set up a test bench and see if the water heater and furnace work this afternoon. Tomorrow I will start removing the interior skin. I already know that I have to replace some floor boards and will do it in conjuction with the lower skin panel replacment. It looks like the old Univolt has boiled over the batteries more then once, so the area where the batteries once set is acid rotted, I have found no water damage though. Is this fun or what?

Kip
Colorado
Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Kip, Congrats on your trailer. I have a '72 GT, last year without a grey tank. PM me if you have any questions associated with the GT, although mine has the front sofa bed/dinette.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
nice surprise

I took the water heater apart and found it was made of stainless steel. the drain cock was missing and the burner had a wasp nest in it, and the safety valve was stiff to operate. I'll get a new safety valve, and drain, clean it all up, put it all back together and fire it up just to make sure everything works as it should, and set aside for when things go back together. Its still raining out.

Kip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aswaterhtr.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	26781  
Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #26

1971 21' Globetrotter
Port Townsend , Washington
A great Thanksgiving Eve

I have been in 'Airstream lust' for well over twenty years now, and today I finally realized a dream. I just bought a 1971 21' Globetrotter today! Three weeks ago I was jogging (okay, walking kind of fast) in the woods and saw an old Airstream covered with green slime, sitting next to an old rustic cabin.

When I got home I told my wife about it. She actually knew who owned the cabin, so I called them right away and asked them if the trailer was theirs. They said it was, and they were going to sell it in the spring. I told them to not even think about selling before they called me. To my surprise and much joy, they called me back last week and said I could have it, and quoted me a price. I said "done," and today I picked it up.

It needs LOTS of TLC, and I'm looking forward to putting in every minute of it. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently, but I don't think so. I don't know a single thing about restoring a trailer, but when I found this site on a recent websearch, I figured I had found a place where I could learn some things from folks who have been there. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm very excited about this! And...happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Ken
Kennylech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This is the thread with the restoration of my 71 GT. Good luck with yours. I think we are the only ones on this forum with a 71 GT. Welcome aboard
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...nte-26902.html
Old 11-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylech
I have been in 'Airstream lust' for well over twenty years now, and today I finally realized a dream. I just bought a 1971 21' Globetrotter today! Three weeks ago I was jogging (okay, walking kind of fast) in the woods and saw an old Airstream covered with green slime, sitting next to an old rustic cabin.

When I got home I told my wife about it. She actually knew who owned the cabin, so I called them right away and asked them if the trailer was theirs. They said it was, and they were going to sell it in the spring. I told them to not even think about selling before they called me. To my surprise and much joy, they called me back last week and said I could have it, and quoted me a price. I said "done," and today I picked it up.

It needs LOTS of TLC, and I'm looking forward to putting in every minute of it. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently, but I don't think so. I don't know a single thing about restoring a trailer, but when I found this site on a recent websearch, I figured I had found a place where I could learn some things from folks who have been there. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm very excited about this! And...happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Ken
Ken,
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your new GT, I hope it's everything you hope for.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #29

1971 21' Globetrotter
Ooops. Sorry about jumping into the middle of a thread. This is new to me, but I'll figure it out. Looking forward to reading about your restorations!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylech

Ken
Congrats on your find~!
You found the perfect site and, Aerowood too (pick his brain..) The guy is simply nothing short of AMAZING~!!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #31
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud
Congrats on your find~!
You found the perfect site and, Aerowood too (pick his brain..) The guy is simply nothing short of AMAZING~!!
I agree! Aerowood is the "Master of Metal". He stopped by my house in Phoenix one day to give me a hand with my screen door. It is still working perfectly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #32

1971 21' Globetrotter
Congrats on your find~!

I went back to the beginning (better late than never) and yes, the pics and info are great. Thanks for the warm welcome, too. Now I'm going to hunker down and learn. Really enjoyed your pics, Aerowood. One question: what is the correct way to ask questions? Do I start a new thread or jump in on this one? Talk to you when I have something to add. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If you have specific questions feel free to ask using the open forums, starting a new thread or the forums PM or personal mail function. Their are no stupid questions
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
71 Globetrotter full monte

Kip, You are a true inspiration and I so admire your work. I wanted to share my license bracket, also with LED, with you. Kenny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resized license plate 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	76025   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized license plate 2 .jpg
Views:	139
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	76026  

Name:	resized license plate3 .jpg
Views:	132
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	76027  
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Good luck! this is a great group of people here on the forums. Welcome!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyp315 View Post
Kip, You are a true inspiration and I so admire your work. I wanted to share my license bracket, also with LED, with you. Kenny
Very nice
Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
nevada , Nevada
Me too,

am going to pickup my first ever airstream in a few days. am buying a 1972 Globetrotter. It received a mild interior restoration a few years ago. the exterior is pretty straight, no big dents. am looking forward to boondocking with it.
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your 72 GT