Name:	airstream7.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	25664  

Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I found a local here that is selling a 550 lbs equal-i-zer hitch for a great price. What do you guys use as I can't get a good tongue weight yet?

Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
stripping it out

I've been working all day today, taking the toilet out and cleaning out the black water tank. The black water tank was completly pluged with waste. It looked like it had not been dumped in several years. It was completly full and hardened up with waste and toilet paper. I'm glad this is behind me know. Thank God for resperiators, bleach, and rubber gloves. I also found out that it does not have a gray water tank, the gray water just dumped overboard. I will now be looking for a gray water tank. I'm not sure if it ever had one or one of the PO's just removed it.
I now have to let this project sit for the next month as I have to go to Savannah Ga for some training until the 9th of Oct. First time flying commercial since the new rules.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
New pics

New pic's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream8.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	25760   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream9.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	25761  

Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #19
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
pretty sure it never had anything for the grey water. i have a 71 Caravelle and i thought my grey went into the black water tank till i looked and learned it just bypasses it and dumps straight out. back then they dug a hole, lead a hose to it and called it good
Old 09-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Nice Globetrotter!!
Looks almost like mine, your bathroom is a different style than mine. Correct on it not having a grey water tank. The GW is plumbed to right under the BW dump valve.

2003 Volkswagon Jetta TDI (yes, it's a diesel!)
2001 Suzuki Esteem
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
(Yeah I know, Too many cars!)
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Aerowood,
Couple of items, you can use one of the rolling Blue Tanks for gray water. As far as the umbilical is concerned, the plug that goes on the trailer end of the cord is available at most well stocked trailer supply houses. I use the same plug on my goose neck trailers and have addapted my Airstreams to use them on the truck end as well. IMHO it is a better plug than the flat blade 7 pin RV style. Besides if someone wants to steal my trailer they aren't going to be able to have brakes or lights

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
plug

I found the plug and cord while I was stripping it out. It was stored behind the toilet for some reason, Who knows the though process of the PO?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I,m back

I got back from Savannah and took a couple of days off to continue the Interior strip out. Wouldn't you know it, but it started raining last night and is expected to continue for the rest of the week. Anyway I got the black water tank, water heater, shower floor pan, and the furnace out before I was soaking wet and called it a day around noon. I am going to set up a test bench and see if the water heater and furnace work this afternoon. Tomorrow I will start removing the interior skin. I already know that I have to replace some floor boards and will do it in conjuction with the lower skin panel replacment. It looks like the old Univolt has boiled over the batteries more then once, so the area where the batteries once set is acid rotted, I have found no water damage though. Is this fun or what?

Kip
Colorado
Old 10-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Kip, Congrats on your trailer. I have a '72 GT, last year without a grey tank. PM me if you have any questions associated with the GT, although mine has the front sofa bed/dinette.
Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
nice surprise

I took the water heater apart and found it was made of stainless steel. the drain cock was missing and the burner had a wasp nest in it, and the safety valve was stiff to operate. I'll get a new safety valve, and drain, clean it all up, put it all back together and fire it up just to make sure everything works as it should, and set aside for when things go back together. Its still raining out.

Kip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aswaterhtr.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	26781  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #26

1971 21' Globetrotter
Port Townsend , Washington
A great Thanksgiving Eve

I have been in 'Airstream lust' for well over twenty years now, and today I finally realized a dream. I just bought a 1971 21' Globetrotter today! Three weeks ago I was jogging (okay, walking kind of fast) in the woods and saw an old Airstream covered with green slime, sitting next to an old rustic cabin.

When I got home I told my wife about it. She actually knew who owned the cabin, so I called them right away and asked them if the trailer was theirs. They said it was, and they were going to sell it in the spring. I told them to not even think about selling before they called me. To my surprise and much joy, they called me back last week and said I could have it, and quoted me a price. I said "done," and today I picked it up.

It needs LOTS of TLC, and I'm looking forward to putting in every minute of it. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently, but I don't think so. I don't know a single thing about restoring a trailer, but when I found this site on a recent websearch, I figured I had found a place where I could learn some things from folks who have been there. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm very excited about this! And...happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Ken
Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
This is the thread with the restoration of my 71 GT. Good luck with yours. I think we are the only ones on this forum with a 71 GT. Welcome aboard
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...nte-26902.html
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylech
I have been in 'Airstream lust' for well over twenty years now, and today I finally realized a dream. I just bought a 1971 21' Globetrotter today! Three weeks ago I was jogging (okay, walking kind of fast) in the woods and saw an old Airstream covered with green slime, sitting next to an old rustic cabin.

When I got home I told my wife about it. She actually knew who owned the cabin, so I called them right away and asked them if the trailer was theirs. They said it was, and they were going to sell it in the spring. I told them to not even think about selling before they called me. To my surprise and much joy, they called me back last week and said I could have it, and quoted me a price. I said "done," and today I picked it up.

It needs LOTS of TLC, and I'm looking forward to putting in every minute of it. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently, but I don't think so. I don't know a single thing about restoring a trailer, but when I found this site on a recent websearch, I figured I had found a place where I could learn some things from folks who have been there. Anyway, that's my story, and I'm very excited about this! And...happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Ken
Ken,
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your new GT, I hope it's everything you hope for.
Dave