Old 08-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Shelton , Connecticut
1972 Globetrotter value

Thinking of buying a GT locally. Was 8k and got it down to 4k. I went through it and seems pretty solid. Has not moved in many years. I will look at it again if I buy it and go through the buyers guide. Has a few dents and a TV antenna on the top. Does not seem to have any noticeable leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	270350   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	270351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	270352   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	270353  

Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I have a '73 GT that I bought about 4 years ago. I spent 2 years kicking tires, and I would say that $4k is a pretty competitive price. You might find one for less, but you will spend a lot of time looking for it. Get the Buyer's Inspection Checklist off the Portal page of the Forums, and go through the trailer thoroughly.

As for condition, I recommend you get as much education as possible before making your inspection and purchase. All of these trailers leak, and it is a constant maintenance challenge to repair the leaks before the floor starts to rot. If the trailer hasn't been used in years, there is a pretty good chance that the leaks have gotten the better of the floor. My trailer had rot behind the refrigerator, next to the door, and in various places around the entire perimeter of the trailer. The floor in the bathroom under the cabinets was gone altogether. So now I am 4 years into a complete rebuild and am finally to the "fun" part (ie., building cabinetry).

In retrospect the purchase price is rather forgetable considering all of the rebuild components that I have bought that have a starting price of $500 or more. What is important is that you know what you are getting into. If you pay $4k knowing that you have a shell-off in your future, you may feel better about the purchase than you would paying $4k for something that you think you will be camping in after changing the carpet and upholstery. It's all about expectations.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Shelton , Connecticut
Thank you. I will inspect it better this weekend. I have the check list printed out.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
From the limited pics...$4K doesn't seem to be too far out of line. This Price vs Condition Guide may help understand expected expenses you will have...good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Shelton , Connecticut
Doing a better inspection tomorrow. I have the check list in hand
Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Shelton , Connecticut
So today I looked at the camper again. I could not check any of the mechanicals since there was no power or propane.
Walking around the trailer I found a soft spot in the floor need the front road side of the camper. I cound not check the frame. There may of been a soft spot in the bath but can't be certain. Needs tires since they are flat. Bearings felt OK. I did not get the trailer since I did not want to risk the money without know if the frame was compromised
Old 09-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'll re-qualify my earlier answer: $4k is a pretty competitive price, but you have to go into it knowing that you will have work to do on the trailer that may go well beyond sprucing up the interior. If you are looking for a trailer that is ready to camp, then expect to pay $12k and more, and it will be solid, but not particularly fancy/custom.

Then rule of thumb with vintage trailers is that unless someone has done the work already, then there will be plenty of work to do. When the work has already been done, the price goes up accordingly.

good luck!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
" I did not get the trailer since I did not want to risk the money without know if the frame was compromised"

Unless you find someone willing to do the major project of removing the belt pan you'll never know.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Shelton , Connecticut
I will be doing the work on the trailer. I just afraid with that much floor rot the frame will be rusted out but who knows. I know with the price it will be a fix-er-uper but I dont want it to be just a parts trailer.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I started out with a trailer that was in far worse shape then that.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Parts trailers typically have the impression of a large tree separating the front half from the rear. I would certainly say that this trailer looks to be in "pretty good" shape (for a 40+ year old vehicle). You won't know the condition of the frame without dropping the belly skin. No seller is going to let you disassemble their trailer, so any trailer you buy, you run that risk (unless the trailer has just been rebuilt).

Most vintage trailers are candidates for a shell-off, or at least some serious floor patching. It is just the nature of the beast.

good luck!