Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #1261
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It's the Holy Ghost petroglyphs in Horseshoe Canyon. a detached part of Canyonlands NP.
Although I'm pretty sure the Desert Archaic Culture that did this probably did not call him this, I guessing the big guy must be the Holy Ghost.

Ken
Well, you got the location exactly right, but I don't think it's "Holy".

It is the Great Ghost and that's close enough.

Cheers, Ag&Au!

Now, let's see some more posters and their visual stumpers.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #1262
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Well, you got the location exactly right, but I don't think it's "Holy".

It is the Great Ghost and that's close enough.

Cheers, Ag&Au!

Now, let's see some more posters and their visual stumpers.
I believe you're right. here is where I got the wrong name (picture on upper right).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62286460,d.aWc
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #1263
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Lighthouses

Since we are on a lighthouse theme, how about this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	206775

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #1264
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
Since we are on a lighthouse theme, how about this one:

Attachment 206775
I'm not confident about it but:

Presque Isle on Lake Huron?

Ken
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #1265
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I'm not confident about it but:

Presque Isle on Lake Huron?

Ken
No, look to the Right Coast. It is very old.

(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #1266
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The Nubble in Maine??
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #1267
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
It kind of looks like Ocracoke (sp), but that's just a wild guess.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #1268
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Please don't stop posting, this is one of the more interesting ongoing threads. I appreciate where you all have been and enjoy the photos. Thanks, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #1269
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think #1263 is Concord Point Light, a lighthouse in Havre de Grace, Maryland, overlooking the point where the Susquehanna River flows into the Chesapeake Bay.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #1270
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I agree Steve.

It's Concord Point, for sure.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #1271
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
#1257 is known as the "Holy Ghost" group, part of the Great Gallery of rock art in Horseshoe Canyon, which used to be called Barrier Canyon, whose name also refers to a style of rock art in Utah (both pictographs and petroglyphs) that is quite old in relation to most rock art found in these parts. This Barrier Canyon Style is also found in some areas of Arches, and I believe would be the style of the Wolfe Cabin petroglyphs near Delicate Arch, so SteveH's guess (in post #1258) is actually understandable.

What I'd like to know is how close you guys got your trailers to the canyon. I'm assuming you approached on the north road from Green River and walked down from the overlook to Horseshoe Canyon. Did you camp at the BLM campground there or drop your rigs somewhere along the line? I've been in from the south side, which is a pretty rugged four-wheel drive road, but I'd like to take my wife and AS back there sometime. I hear they have improved the (north-side) gravel road in the past fifteen years or so.

There is an interesting story about the Great Gallery in Horseshoe Canyon, which of course is considered to be one of the premier rock art panels in the United States, if not in the world. I have heard at least two versions of this, and some of the details are open for "discussion," but credible authorities consider it to be true:
There was quite a bit of oil explorations on the west side of the Green River back in the late 1920s and 1930s. In 1928 or 1929 an oil crew working near Horseshoe Canyon wanted to dynamite part of the Great Gallery off of the panel and take it back to Oklahoma to make a coffee table for the president of Phillips Oil Company. Some of the cowboys then tending cattle nearby got wind of it and rode down to see what was going on, and threatened to "put a couple of 30-calibre slugs in the engineer's hide" if he tried to harm the panel.
Sadly, this kind of thing never stops, and the looting of ruins and rock art all over the Southwest continues.

And, Murrey, I hope to claim that "consolation prize" from you sometime when you are in "the neighborhood." Please keep up the good photographic work. I too have enjoyed this thread, and I don't think we have grown tired of any one person's photos--they are all of such high quality and composition. Keep them coming!!
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #1272
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
#1257 is known as the "Holy Ghost" group, part of the Great Gallery of rock art in Horseshoe Canyon, which used to be called Barrier Canyon, whose name also refers to a style of rock art in Utah (both pictographs and petroglyphs) that is quite old in relation to most rock art found in these parts. This Barrier Canyon Style is also found in some areas of Arches, and I believe would be the style of the Wolfe Cabin petroglyphs near Delicate Arch, so SteveH's guess (in post #1258) is actually understandable.

What I'd like to know is how close you guys got your trailers to the canyon. I'm assuming you approached on the north road from Green River and walked down from the overlook to Horseshoe Canyon. Did you camp at the BLM campground there or drop your rigs somewhere along the line? I've been in from the south side, which is a pretty rugged four-wheel drive road, but I'd like to take my wife and AS back there sometime. I hear they have improved the (north-side) gravel road in the past fifteen years or so.

There is an interesting story about the Great Gallery in Horseshoe Canyon, which of course is considered to be one of the premier rock art panels in the United States, if not in the world. I have heard at least two versions of this, and some of the details are open for "discussion," but credible authorities consider it to be true:
There was quite a bit of oil explorations on the west side of the Green River back in the late 1920s and 1930s. In 1928 or 1929 an oil crew working near Horseshoe Canyon wanted to dynamite part of the Great Gallery off of the panel and take it back to Oklahoma to make a coffee table for the president of Phillips Oil Company. Some of the cowboys then tending cattle nearby got wind of it and rode down to see what was going on, and threatened to "put a couple of 30-calibre slugs in the engineer's hide" if he tried to harm the panel.
Sadly, this kind of thing never stops, and the looting of ruins and rock art all over the Southwest continues.

And, Murrey, I hope to claim that "consolation prize" from you sometime when you are in "the neighborhood." Please keep up the good photographic work. I too have enjoyed this thread, and I don't think we have grown tired of any one person's photos--they are all of such high quality and composition. Keep them coming!!
Youngpeck, in 2010, when I hiked down (and trudged up), I was camped at Goblin Valley State Park.

And it's a forty mile drive from Goblin to the parking lot of Horseshoe. From Goblin to Highway 24, the road is just fine.

That said, once you're on the eastern side road going to the canyon, you're on washboard all the time. And that's about 35 miles of REALLY bad washboard.

There's no way I would pull my trailer to that parking lot. AND, when you get there, there's no facilities.

If I were you, I would just plan on getting up a little earlier at Goblin.

By the way, I called the Horseshoe Unit, and the Ranger said he would meet me in the Horseshoe parking lot and guide me down, if I would meet him at 9 in the morning. I said I would, and we did. He helped a great deal.

WRT oil production. It was my belief that yes, there was exploration there, but it was for Uranium, not oil.

If you've got any more questions, let's take it to PM, and not annoy the others on this thread.

Murrey

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #1273
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Here's another light house that's fairly distinctive, and someone should get almost instantly. On the East Coast
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	206797  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #1274
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Concord Point is correct! War of 1812 "battle" fought there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app

(Bud Light commercial)

Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #1275
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
After Youngpeck's post, I began to question my description of the Great Ghost figure in a previous post.

Many do call it the "Holy Ghost".

And many others call it the "Great Ghost" because of its height. I have always known it as the GG. Here's one attribution.

Horseshoe Canyon - Canyonlands National Park

And another.
Horseshoe Canyon - Canyonlands NP, Utah - American West Travelogue

My opinion is that it's known as the GG amongst photographers, and HG, elsewhere.

Now that's my "anal" contribution of the month.

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #1276
Rivet Master

Quote:
Youngpeck, in 2010, when I hiked down (and trudged up), I was camped at Goblin Valley State Park.

And it's a forty mile drive from Goblin to the parking lot of Horseshoe. From Goblin to Highway 24, the road is just fine.

That said, once you're on the eastern side road going to the canyon, you're on washboard all the time. And that's about 35 miles of REALLY bad washboard.

There's no way I would pull my trailer to that parking lot. AND, when you get there, there's no facilities.

If I were you, I would just plan on getting up a little earlier at Goblin.

By the way, I called the Horseshoe Unit, and the Ranger said he would meet me in the Horseshoe parking lot and guide me down, if I would meet him at 9 in the morning. I said I would, and we did. He helped a great deal.

WRT oil production. It was my belief that yes, there was exploration there, but it was for Uranium, not oil.

If you've got any more questions, let's take it to PM, and not annoy the others on this thread.

Murrey
I for one find exchanges like this educational, so don't feel like it's bothering us. I believe one of the OP original ideas is to share information about these places we post.

Ken
Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #1277
Rivet Master

Quote:
After Youngpeck's post, I began to question my description of the Great Ghost figure in a previous post.

Many do call it the "Holy Ghost".

And many others call it the "Great Ghost" because of its height. I have always known it as the GG. Here's one attribution.

Horseshoe Canyon - Canyonlands National Park

And another.
Horseshoe Canyon - Canyonlands NP, Utah - American West Travelogue

My opinion is that it's known as the GG amongst photographers, and HG, elsewhere.

Now that's my "anal" contribution of the month.
I found a description that credited the "holy" name to the local Mormon community way back when.

Ken
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #1278
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
For what it's worth (and I hope this is not too far off-topic) before the uranium exploration in the '50s there was quite a bit of oil exploration on the west side of the Colorado River all the way west and south toward Goblin Valley. Two of the prominent landmarks just west of Canyonlands National Park's Maze Unit (which is that portion west of the junction of the Colorado and Green rivers, and south of the "detached" Horseshoe Canyon unit by several miles) is Elaterite Butte and Elaterite Basin, so-named because of the "carbonaceous" mineral deposits, ie., shale oil, found there. This is arguably why such a magnificent, butte-, mesa-, and canyon-infested region remains outside of the actual park, and resides in the less developmentally restrictive Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

I sense I ought to "quit talkin' and start chalkin'" and contribute my own photos to this thread. So here are two photos of the same locale, the second provided so as to provide a better perspective. The clues: it is in the Southwest, and is in a unit of the National Park Service. Anybody know where it is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	XmasTrip 080.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	206799   Click image for larger version

Name:	XmasTrip 081.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	206800  

Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1279
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
For what it's worth (and I hope this is not too far off-topic) before the uranium exploration in the '50s there was quite a bit of oil exploration on the west side of the Colorado River all the way west and south toward Goblin Valley. Two of the prominent landmarks just west of Canyonlands National Park's Maze Unit (which is that portion west of the junction of the Colorado and Green rivers, and south of the "detached" Horseshoe Canyon unit by several miles) is Elaterite Butte and Elaterite Basin, so-named because of the "carbonaceous" mineral deposits, ie., shale oil, found there. This is arguably why such a magnificent, butte-, mesa-, and canyon-infested region remains outside of the actual park, and resides in the less developmentally restrictive Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

I sense I ought to "quit talkin' and start chalkin'" and contribute my own photos to this thread. So here are two photos of the same locale, the second provided so as to provide a better perspective. The clues: it is in the Southwest, and is in a unit of the National Park Service. Anybody know where it is?

Is this located in the Maze district of the Canyonlands?

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #1280
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Is this located in the Maze district of the Canyonlands?
No--it's in Arizona, and you can drive on pavement to within a quarter-mile of this vantage point.