Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Photography
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1121
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Looks like an Amorphophallus titanum aka Corpse flower known for it's smell like a rotting dead mammal which attracts various beetles and flies to pollinate it. Probably taken at the Quail Botanical Gardens in Encinitas, Ca.
You are getting very good at this. Only one technicality. In 2009, the name was changed to San Diego Botanical Gardens after the city of San Diego bought it from the private owners.

We were lucky enough to be there and experience the aroma of the Corpse flower in bloom. The picture of the lily pond shows my daughter-in-law and youngest grandson. I don't know who the old fart wandering off to the left is.

Your prize is this link where you can buy seeds to grow your very own corpse flower. Think how calming it would be to smell its aroma emanating from your dining room window sill. I imagine you may relax to the point of passing out.

Amorphophallus titanum - seed that just start to germinate | eBay

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #1122
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Bentonvillie Arkansas. The first WalMart. I don't think they allow camping at this one.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #1123
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Here's another one from mid-America.

Brian
The Walmart Museum in Bentonville, AR.

Who would ever think there would be such a thing?

Ken
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #1124
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
This will be easy to guess the place but maybe not to guess the mountain peak. Guess the place in the two pics. Guess the peak in the first pic. The second pic is taken of the place from the top of that peak. You can drive to the place, but not the peak.
No takers on guessing this location in #1114? C'mon Sir, take a big guess!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #1125
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
OK, you want a guess, the peak is Pettit Peak, and the place is Tuolumne Meadows.

How's that for a WAG?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #1126
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK, you want a guess, the peak is Pettit Peak, and the place is Tuolumne Meadows.

How's that for a WAG?
Think South for your Big guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #1127
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Where is this? Hint B-17 training Base central Fl. Which is also the oldest road racing course in the U.S. Name the Base and the track.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1393231722.827785.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	835.8 KB
ID:	206273
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #1128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sebring, fl. Do not know the base name. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #1129
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Very good Jim the name of the base was Hendricks field. It became inactive December 31,1945 over 10,000 pilots were trained here, at peck operation there were about 120 B-17's. In 1950 the first race was held on site and the first formula one race in the U.S was also held at this location. March 12-15 is the date for this years race event.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1393252096.576287.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	776.8 KB
ID:	206279
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #1130
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This is sort of a famous view. It is of course in the West. What is it of, and where was it taken from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	206280  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #1131
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
No takers on guessing this location in #1114? C'mon Sir, take a big guess!
Sounds like nobody will get it, even though I basically gave the name. This place is Big Sur, CA and the name of the peak is Cone Peak.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #1132
Rivet Master

This is not a criticism, simply an observation.

We have gotten to the point where the western scenery pictures with no human made structures visible look like countless scenes I have seen in any of about 10 western states. That makes it a very laborious task to find the exact one unless I can say, "Oh yeah, I know that", even before I start looking.

Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #1133
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
Very good Jim the name of the base was Hendricks field. It became inactive December 31,1945 over 10,000 pilots were trained here, at peck operation there were about 120 B-17's. In 1950 the first race was held on site and the first formula one race in the U.S was also held at this location. March 12-15 is the date for this years race event.Attachment 206279
I was at Sebring International Raceway a few weeks ago, watching a few test runs. Many people do not realize there is still an active airport, a motel, and a race track in operation. As an aside to Hendricks Field, the practice bombing range is also still active, nearby at Avon Park AFB.

ps: enjoyed talking with you and your husband before Christmas!

add edit: How fast were you able to tow through the hairpin curves? :-)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #1134
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with you: Without some really unique formation or structure, it's sometimes hard to decide where a given picture is.

But that opinion also leads immediately to another: One reason why the West is so popular among those with cameras essentially boils down to the distinction between taking pictures and doing photography. Yes, the West has lots of snapshot-taking opportunities, one after another by the hundreds, until they become all the same. But if you take the time to do it right, the West also affords the colors, the lighting and the locations for fantastic photography, as an examination of the photos at something like this group shows:

Flickr: The The American Southwest Pool

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
This is not a criticism, simply an observation.

We have gotten to the point where the western scenery pictures with no human made structures visible look like countless scenes I have seen in any of about 10 western states. That makes it a very laborious task to find the exact one unless I can say, "Oh yeah, I know that", even before I start looking.

Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #1135
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
I work for SkipBarber Racing School, my location is on site at the track we were doing a 3-Day school, renting the track. I got permission from the track first but did not go around the course my time was limited but I have taken a M35A2 military truck around full course with crew on a pace lap. Fun stuff.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

Quote:
Sounds like nobody will get it, even though I basically gave the name. This place is Big Sur, CA and the name of the peak is Cone Peak.

The problem I had with this one was: Since there was no water showing, I could not tell whether that was fog over the ocean or in one of the central California Valleys. I did a cursory search, but after that the task was too daunting. By the time your hint came along, I had lost interest. However I don't think I would have made the sir vs Sur connection anyway.

Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #1137
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I agree with you: Without some really unique formation or structure, it's sometimes hard to decide where a given picture is.

But that opinion also leads immediately to another: One reason why the West is so popular among those with cameras essentially boils down to the distinction between taking pictures and doing photography. Yes, the West has lots of snapshot-taking opportunities, one after another by the hundreds, until they become all the same. But if you take the time to do it right, the West also affords the colors, the lighting and the locations for fantastic photography, as an examination of the photos at something like this group shows:

Flickr: The The American Southwest Pool

Lynn
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the link.

Taking pictures is a skill in that you must know how to operate the camera.

Photography is an art that requires a specific set of talents. Like music, the work must be pleasing to at least a sub set of people. Perhaps, partially because I have not devoted much time to learning either, but its more likely to me,that I do not possess the basic talent, I am unable to produce either music or visual art that is pleasing to even me. Granted, utilizing the "blind squirrel" effect, I do take a pleasing picture once in a while. However any attempt I have ever made to make any type of music has always been met with, "Stop that gosh awful noise"

So I will continue to enjoy the fruits of the labor of others. Does that make me a leech in the artistic world, or a provider of the funds that allows it to thrive?

Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #1138
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Well said, Ken!

Good photography is something that I strive for, but will never, ever attain. But that doesn't stop me from practicing, reading about it, studying it, pretty much the whole obsessive story. (Here is a nice little free ebook, by the way.) In the end, it's a pretty good replacement obsession for my previous-life obsession with cogsci.

Lynn
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #1139
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Well said, Ken!

Good photography is something that I strive for, but will never, ever attain. But that doesn't stop me from practicing, reading about it, studying it, pretty much the whole obsessive story. (Here is a nice little free ebook, by the way.) In the end, it's a pretty good replacement obsession for my previous-life obsession with cogsci.

Lynn
Wow,

I just checked your Flickr link in your signature. There's no doubt you are a photographer rather than a picture taker.

Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #1140
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is a picture from our travels last summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	206290  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote