Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Angry

Hi Guys,

I have read your posts with great interest. I have been digitising and reproducing images professionally since 1994. It streatched even the abilities of my Mac then - and my wallet! I remember needing an extra 16Mb of RAM to run Photoshop 4 a bit faster - it cost me nearly $600!

However, I've been fortunate over the years to have cameras bought for me by my employer, The British Ministry of Defence. Including a Kodak DCS 520 back in 1999 which had a 2 Megapixel CCD and cost $28,000!

I won't hesitate to tell you I have a preference for Canon. The first EOS film cameras were a revelation in the early 90s and the introduction of digital in conjunction with Kodak(as mentioned above)enhanced their reputation. More on that later...

The old rule that a camera is only as good as it's lens applies. But then you also have to consider that it will only be as good as it's chip. There's an economic and industrial reality here. Most of the chips, like most of the LCD screens and the lenses, are made in 3 or 4 factories in the far east. You could say that these days with the cheap availability of the raw components there should no such thing as a bad digital camera. Yet, we know that can't be true.

Like we say in the ebay scams thread, "if it looks too good to be true".
Anything with a name you recognise should be ok
Having said that, an aquaintance of mine visited New York about 10 years ago and came back proudly with what he thought was an SLR but was in fact a thinly disguised Instamatic with a plastic lens. It was a Suny and he paid $250!
Buyer beware!

Men will tell you that a big one is always better than a small one! You should get the metric system over there! The average works out at 150!!

I remember the days of the Bunker-Hunts when Kodak tried to make film smaller and smaller to save on the cost of silver. Digital put a stop to that and halved the price of silver jewellery. In pixel to print terms anything bigger than 5 megapixel will be as good as your 35mm film camera was.

I agree that a 1 megapixel chip will supply a pic just the right size to fit on a computer screen. However, at that scale you are losing detail because, invariably, the resolving power of a decent glass lens will be higher than the chip. For really crisp on-screen images use a 3+ Megapixel camera and rescale the image to fit. I generally resize to 900 x 600pixels. At 100% it will damn near fill the screen.

Back to my preference for Canon. At the same time I was procuring the aforementioned DCS 520, Canon released the D30. I tried to interest my boss in a $4000 pro-sumer camera but he was a little too buttoned-down and wouldn't take a chance on a camera equipped with what he said was a chip, "only good enough for counting potatoes!" - the C-MOS. A colleague of mine bought the D30 and we compared it with my DCS520. The difference was startling! The C-MOS chip was and is an outstanding piece of technology!

Densely packed transistors and a low energy draw reduces noise and greatly enhances the ability of the chip to resolve detail and gradation. So much so that the latest 8+Megapixel chips can out-resolve medium format film!

Now the bad news! I don't have one!

The British Army did a deal with Nikon eons ago and that is all I can get. Even Nikon have bowed to the superior C-MOS technology and my One Page Business Case for the D2Xs (which for some strange bureaucratic reason takes One year to read) is in and I will get one ...sometime? ...maybe? ...never? ...perhaps eventually!

My cameras?
D1X
D1H
A sackful of lenses
Sony Cybershot - great Zeiss lens
Canon Powershot G1 - great camera! Ancient in digital terms, but has bounced and survived!
Canon IXUS 400 - great camera - found in the back of a New York taxi cab and resisted all attempts to be returned to it's rightful owner! It's my wife's but I use it on my days off! A no-brainer!

This is my next camera but I will have to give you a link to the UK version. I can't find a US equivalent. I think over there they're called Elphs.

Canon UK - Digital IXUS 800 IS

A truly fantastic compact! OK, it doesn't have a C-MOS - you need to go to the Canon digital SLRs to get that - but the spec is just amazing!

A proper wide-angle lens, a noiseless 800ASA and Image Stabalisation! Over here it's less than $500. I wouldn't hesitate to use it professionally.

Back to the size thingy: When I first got involved in photography I joined a camera club. I spent my first and last week sitting amongst affluent middle managers talking incessantly about the latest bit of expensive "kit" they had acquired. It taught me a lesson: Never buy a piece of camera equipment just for the sake of it. You may get bragging rights but where's the bloody results?! I've taken great pics with a pin-holed biscuit tin and a piece of 5" x 4" film!

Some Pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alhambra.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	34157

Name:	Divider.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	34158

Name:	Kiln.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	34159

Name:	Oman.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	34160

Name:	Phoenix.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	34161

Name:	Queen.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	34162

Name:	Racking.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	34163

Name:	RedArrows.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	34164

Name:	SeaKing.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	34165

Name:	Shellburst.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	34166

I hope you like them...

Marc

Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Santa brought me a Nikon D-80 DSLR all I can say is wow, why did I wait so long.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
What Digital Camera Do You Use?

I have used Leica M cameras for 35 years. I now have a Leica SLR model R9 with the Digital Modul-R back with 10 mega pixels. This lets me switch from slide film to digital or vice versa in about 20 seconds. It must be the easiest camera in the world to clean the sensor. It is fully exposed right in front of you when you remove the back. My specialty is wildlife and birds. I use a variety of lenses up to 800mm. I seldom ever meet anyone with this camera so if there is one on these threads, it would be interesting to compare notes.

Saddletramp
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #102
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
It is interesting that this thread is 3 years old....
hi az' and uwe...

old or just a time capsule?

what was interesting to me is how things have changed during these 3 years...

like moonstruck i'm partial to canons...

and on the palm sized point/shoot side, most all models have dropped the viewfinder...

outdoor in bright light, lcd screens aren't very useful...

so having a view finder is still an absolute 4me...

as marks new sd800is elph still has...

nice pix moonstruck!

saddletramp the r9 with digital back is an amazing camera....

i'm saving now for a black m8. love the size and lens options...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #103
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Thanks 2Air for the model number! Power and respect to Saddletramp for having the good taste to buy a Leica but where's the pics?! Lol!
Marc
Old 03-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Early last year I replaced a Nikon Coolpix 475 with a viewfinder that wasn't very good with a Coolpix L1 that has only the big screen. Even though I like the other features of the L1, trying to compose a shot in bright sun on the screen is next to impossible.

I'm in the market now for an SLR. There was an interesting article in this past Sunday's business section of our local paper that said to expect big drops in SLR prices this year. They gave as an example that Nikon and Cannon SLRs that currently list for around $1,000, will be available for around $299 by year's end. The drops supposedly will be caused by discounters entering the market ...I'm an engineer not an economist.

I think I'll wait awhile before making my next camera purchase.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Nikon D2X-12mp
Nikon D100- 6mp
previous black boxes included: Canon G2, Canon 1A(2), Shen Hao 4x5, Kodak Pro 14N, numerous pieces of glass(lotsa' paperweights!!LOL) And ALL the peripheral stuff needed. We won't even talk about darkroom, computers, printers, Etc.
Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
Early last year I replaced a Nikon Coolpix 475 with a viewfinder that wasn't very good with a Coolpix L1 that has only the big screen. Even though I like the other features of the L1, trying to compose a shot in bright sun on the screen is next to impossible.
Try this:

Camera Bellows

Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon Nikon

Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixel Digital SLR

I have to fight with my 13 year old son to get lens time.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #108
_

. , .
hi randy

sure prices continue to drop while featues expand...

we live in great times, camera wise...

the nikon coolpix 990 i purchased nearly 8? years ago,

still works great, especially for macros...

it was 1000$ then

we now can buy 3x the camera for 1/3 the price...

and the price of sd/cf 'film' is amazingly low...

before going for a dslr take a look at the canon mark and moonstruck mention...

some of the canon powershot sd-xxx-is elph series STILL include a viewfinder....

up to 9mp and zoom and image stabilization and really quick shooting....in a TINY camera!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #109
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Wow... it's cool to see an old thread resurrected! Like 2Air, I have enjoyed watching the evolution of digital.

Like Saddletramp, I've been a Leica M user since 1974; however two years ago I sold the last M4 and haven't looked back. When I was shooting professionally in the '90s, the Canon EOS1 was king, and I had a stable of lenses. I sold that and the Hassy 500s in the late '90s while they still had value.

I have a Canon G5 which is a world traveller, but have switched almost entirely to 4/3ds equipment. I have two Olympus E1 bodies that, even though they're 5mp, produce some absolutely superior images. The color produced by Olympus lenses and sensors leaves everyone else in the dust. The new pro Olympus is due out later this year. It'll be interesting to see what the specs are.

I also sprang for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1K with the Leica D 14-50mm zoom in January. I got mine for $1299 with the Vario-Summarit 14-50 as the kit. The 25mm f/1.4 Leica D lens is supposed to be released onto the market in the next few days. The nice thing about 4/3ds is that all of the equipment is interchangeable (for the most part) among all the players, so all my Oly gear is interchangeable with the Panny and vice-versa.

The Lumix L1K is essentially the same as the Leica Digilux-3. It has an amazing dead-ringer feel for the M series rangefinders. The shutter release is in exactly the same place, as is the viewfinder (albeit dim). Muscle memory says "ahhhhh". If you like the feel of the Leica M cameras, then the L1/D3 may be the SLR for you. They're not the pro quality of the R9 outfit, but for most of us "mere consumers" they're pretty awesome. I don't have the scratch for an R9 with the digi-back, but rest assured I'd have one if I could afford it!

Roger

on edit... I forgot to say... Awesome work, Moonstruck! Great stuff!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #110
_

. , .
hi roger

how do you like the dmc-L1?

it looks like a wonderful body.

i've considered one.

so all 4/3 lens will fit it?

cheers
2air'

Old 03-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #111
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wellll, I finally decided to stop using my trusty, old Pentax K1000 and upgrade to a Pentax K100D. The nice part is that I'm able to use all of my K1000 lenses on the K100. (Can't do shake reduction with them, but it sure was the inexpensive way to go!)

Lynn
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #112
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi roger

how do you like the dmc-L1?

it looks like a wonderful body.

i've considered one.

so all 4/3 lens will fit it?

cheers
2air'
In a word, it's eccentric. Much like the M series Leicas, BMW motorcycles, or eccentric folding bikes: you either fit it, or you don't. There isn't much gray area.

It's solid, richly featured, and easy to use. The viewfinder is a porrofinder and is dim by current standards, but useable nonetheless, and the camera offers live view for those times when the viewfinder just won't quite cut it.

The lens and especially the Mega OIS is superb. 4/3rds is a standard, and all of the manufacturers who build for it build stuff that will fit all 4/3rds standard.

If you can get a DMC L1K kit for under $1500 it's well worth the investment, IMHO.

Roger