Old 08-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #71
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up Happy To Report

I was really depressed when I reported about our new Sony digital camera above. Having just gotten it in mid-July and getting ready to use it on a trip the 1st part of Aug. I could not believe it might actually be broken and having the Sony rep tell me it might not be covered under warranty and having to send it down to Texas to have someone there look at it was a bitter pill to swallow, but.....

I packaged it up, wrote a loooong letter explaining all details, sent it off 1st class postage w/extra .55 to make sure it arrived.

That was this past Saturday, the 21st. It arrived back here today, the 27th, fixed, at NO CHARGE. So, they have restored my faith in the Sony Corp.

Wanted to report so that any/all who might have a similiar experience (I certainly hope not), will take comfort in the fact that there is still hope, no matter how bad it seems at the time. (We hadn't even made the 1st payment on it!!!)

Now I'm ready to get out there and take a few shots of our favorite trailer, yea Thanks for listening to my wailing.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
what digital camera do you use?

Greetings Leigh!

Good to hear that your warranty issue with Sony was successfully resolved. Based on my prior experience with Sony, I was hoping that you would be pleasantly surprised. I purchased my Sony FD91 Mavica in 1998, and have been thrilled with its durability. One of the reasons that I purchased the Sony product was the warranty support that they had provided on the digital cameras that our school district used where I was Technology Coordinator from 1993-2000 - - during that time, Sony quickly and efficiently resolved the minimal number of warranty issues that we encountered (not a few of which were unusual in nature as a result of student use).

Good luck with your camera!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Good News!

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you'll be sharing some great new pics!
Students are the best testing ground for products. They are ever so creative aren't they?
Old 08-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Sony F828

I'm really pleased with my new Sony F828. It sure isn't a stealth camera; it is quite big and heavy.

The controls are quite easy to master, unlike my previous first-generation Sony. I take most snapshots at 5 megapels and, if it looks like a real good shot, I switch up to 8 megapels. I have read some complaints of purple fringing and vignetting at some settings, but I haven't experienced either anomoly in the six months I have been using it.

One thing I like is the great battery life. Another is the ability to load not only large memory sticks, but compact flash and microdisks as well. Both can be in the camera simultaniously and I can switch fom one to another when the first gets full. I also like the LCD viewfinder along with a good bright LCD.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #75
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We use a Nikon D! and a Panasonic DMC-FZ10. The Panasonic works in the 4 megapixel range, has a Lica lens with 10x zoom, and has image stabilization. This is great for my wife who has "Essential Tremor" which causes her hands to shake. She has been able to take great pix with the Panasonic. The camera runs about $500. However, for posting on the web or sharing on email even sub-1 megapixel cameras work just fine. For normal photography and printed snapshots anything from 2 to 3 megapixels works just fine. Optics may be more important if you want to capture anything at a distance -- like wildlife. For that kind of photography you need to have at least 6x optical zoom and preferably 10x. The digital zoom is meaningless as all it is doing is the equivalent of magnifying the picture -- you can do that with your computer.

02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It seems everytime this thread gets rejunvinated I have a different camera!

Well, I finally found one I absolutely LOVE...the Canon PowerShot S500 ELPH. It's a moderately priced, 5 mega-pixel with all the features I need yet it's pocket size so it allows me to take it everywhere. And...it takes terrific pictures ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I myself have several digitals now. I started with the original, the Apple digital camera and my last one is a pocket Pentax camera that I can carry in my pocket during my travels. I used to shoot pro and had my own photo lab.

But....

The newest one was purchased for "She who must be obeyed" for her 50th birthday in May '04. She shoots pro film jobs and does photo restoration and I wanted to step her up to a digital SLR. I got her the new Nikon D70 SLR. I was on a waiting list for 3 months for this model. It accepts the investment we have in Nikon 35mm lenses and flashes. It has exceeded our expectations. Her first job using it was an outdoor wedding at dusk. The D70 performed flawlessly in both Auto and Manual modes. She took about 600 pictures and they all looked great. The bride was very happy with the end results.

She uses it exclusively now, which means we will have several complete 35mm systems that will be going on eBay very soon.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Canon PowerShot Pro1 - 8 Megapixels, a Canon L-series 7x zoom lens. 28-200mm (35mm equiv) f/2.4-3.5 L-series USM zoom lens, 12 EOS-based shooting modes, Wide-Area FlexiZone AF/AE. Macro Mode, 2-inch Vari-angle LCD monitor, VGA quality movies with sound. Having a lot of fun with this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon_MaShep.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	8525  
Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyW
I myself have several digitals now. I started with the original, the Apple digital camera and my last one is a pocket Pentax camera that I can carry in my pocket during my travels. I used to shoot pro and had my own photo lab.

But....

The newest one was purchased for "She who must be obeyed" for her 50th birthday in May '04. She shoots pro film jobs and does photo restoration and I wanted to step her up to a digital SLR. I got her the new Nikon D70 SLR. I was on a waiting list for 3 months for this model. It accepts the investment we have in Nikon 35mm lenses and flashes. It has exceeded our expectations. Her first job using it was an outdoor wedding at dusk. The D70 performed flawlessly in both Auto and Manual modes. She took about 600 pictures and they all looked great. The bride was very happy with the end results.

She uses it exclusively now, which means we will have several complete 35mm systems that will be going on eBay very soon.
I'm still hooked on 35mm photography even though I have a great digital camera. If you happen to think of it please shoot me a PM with what you are selling and your asking price when you are ready to sell them.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #80
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Bobby, I just got the D70 this week also. WOW is all I can say.

Glad I didn't have to wait 3 months. It was in stock at Ritz Camera and their price was the same as the online guys: bhphoto.com etc.

For people buying a digital SLR, beware of online dealers selling a stripped down kit at "amazing discount" prices.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I was on the waiting list as it was a Pre-order. I wanted it the day is was released. They were really hard to get the first month if you were not on a waiting list. I got mine at Wolf, which is a Ritz Camera company.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

digital cameras

I have a KodakEasyShareDX 7630. I purchased it at Sam's for about $470. It is great for portraits of the kids and so easy to carry. It is not so good for wildlife and nature applications.
dik
Old 08-31-2004, 03:08 PM   #83
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I just want to say one more thing about this Sony DSC-W1 Cybershot Digital camera. It may have been a fluke that the LCD screen became unusable so quickly, but I still feel leery of it and feel others who might consider this camera know that it might break rather quickly. We were offered an extended warranty at Best Buy since the Sony warranty for parts and labor is only 90 days, but we don't regularly feel we need one of those. In this case, I'm feeling that might have been a good idea. Anyway, we have now added some additional padding to our already well padded case by cutting and inserting small bubble wrap inside (especially on the LCD screen side).We will keep our fingers crossed

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:36 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Canon A75

We have the above .. great camera.. have the printer that goes with it.. prints 4x6's and each picture has a postcard on the back... works great.. easy to use.. not expensive to print either..Annie